Top freestyles of all time?

Here are, in my opinion, the top 10 freestyles of all time. What freestyles do you guys think have been most influential/impressive?

1. www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO0HvmDv3tM&feature=youtu.be
    This one didn’t get as much hype as it should have. Absolutely incredible freestyle.
  2. www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1g8RDB0cu4
    Many newer players never even hear of this freestyle just because it happened more than a decade ago, but it is by far, one of the classics. The kind of tech that he threw down more than twelve years ago was basically unseen at the time. This freestyle was way ahead of its time. It was also had some of the most memorable grinds of all time.
  3. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNKjEbpr1A
    No surprise here. Not much to say other than it definitely deserves to be in this list.
  4. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9HEDOjr9E
    Another freestyle that was way ahead of its time + I believe it was the first time we saw yuuki slack, which is a classic.
  5. www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LTS4QpvCw
    'nough said.
  6. www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5m0nkQm4fg
    One of the most exciting 5a routines for me. Pretty fast paced and includes lots of big body movements (something I enjoy in 5a).
  7. www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlW7fhUqtn8
    It’s a rare occasion to see Janos go this clean. His freestyles are usually pretty messy, so I think it really surprised everyone when they could see a lot of his super solid tricks hitten cleanly. I’m going to go out on a limb and say he has the most difficult 1a tricks on the contest circuit.
  8. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ausL4AjsUxY
    Super insane tricks, awesome song, great freestyle overall. By far my favorite takeshi freestyle of all time.
  9. www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRLXwPeA9W4
    In a highly unappreciated style where too many performances are full of mistakes, Hajime just somehow makes a masterpiece every time. The choreography is awesome and the tricks consist of some of the most technically difficult concepts in 3a.
  10. www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMd2oKx0PTo
    This freestyle was a complete game-changer in terms of choreography. Whether or not you’re a gentry fan, you still have to admit that the amount of choreography that went into this blows most other freestyles out of the water. It is choreographed down to every single beat which is much harder than it sounds.

#1 freestyle of all time.

I had to. If I didnt someone else would.

2 Likes

Fun thread idea.  I have to think a bit more about my top 10, but you definitely included several of my favorites: JD Worlds 2003, Yuuki Worlds 2002, and Gentry Worlds 2014.  But here is one that particularly legendary:

Christopher Chia Asia pacific 2011
Jensen Kimmitt worlds 2010
Andrew Maider worlds semi finals 2013
Zach Gormley worlds 2015
Anthony Rojas worlds 2015

1 Like

YES!!!

Interesting topic. I’ll have to come back and watch all these videos later.

After watching all these videos will I be inspired to practice more or inspired to put my yoyos under the bed? :wink:

Jensen’s 2010 freestyle is one of the true GOATS:

Also, Ben Conde 2011 is a classic. Probably overall best:

Jensens 2011 worlds is my personal favorite.

to me, one of the best performance last Year to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRBIm6ACNRs

1 Like

Anthony Rojas 2015 wyyc
Gentry Stein 2014"wyyc
Hiroyuki Suzuki 2012 wyyc
Paul Kerbal 2014 Eyyc? The year he won the open division, anyway.
Jonny Delvalle 2003 wyyc

In no particular order

i believe marcus was 16 when he won this, therefore making him the youngest 1a champ.

surprised this freestyle that got gentry super noticed hasnt been noted yet…

The fact that John Andos 1a Worlds 2008 freestyle has not been posted in here is very disturbing.

He put the fore-front of arm based technical work which caused the entire community to follow suit.

1 Like

Yeah, I have been brainstorming my top 10 freestyles for the past day or two. John Ando Worlds 2008 popped into my head last night. Amazingly influential stuff. I too am surprised no one has mentioned it.

This kid though

Maybe not the most impressive (c’mon, he was six) but definitely one of my favorites.

Maybe not as ground breaking, but this is a fun one.

Gentry nationals 2013!