Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

Not sure but it sure is pretty.

1 Like

I think that’s maple still. I bought a No Jive from Tom Kuhn years ago, it was really wide grain maple like this one. Tom told he these were among his favorites. The one I had was extremely smooth.

2 Likes

The invite seems to be expired. I’m not sure how to find the server.

Old photo , that’s me.

7 Likes

Here’s a link to the Discord that won’t expire:

5 Likes

Has anyone modded the older “double loop” Sleep Machine/Roller Woody models to take Turbo Discs? It seems like a matter of shaving down the seat for the adjustment screws to be flush. Maybe with a drill press?

Just cut the disc into three wedges then put it anywhere on the inner wall you want. I once put turbo discs on an Mg. Worked just fine.

2 Likes

I can see the cut discs working with a bind response.

For responsive play the double-loop models seem to rely on friction with the adjustment screw seats for response, with very fine adjustment separating too much and too little response. Are the discs thick enough to make a difference when looping?

(For reference, in case anyone is wondering, here are shots of the bearing area in an older Roller Woody and a newer one that takes discs.)

2 Likes

This is why I used to have MANY sb2’s. You set it and then you get another because you will not find the sweet spot easily. What a difference an eighth of a turn can make. I never had the discs interfere with looping,I think it’s because the string is always taught and in motion.

2 Likes

For us old folks, some materials from the 1999 BC / Tom Kuhn Extreme Team Fixed Axle challenge. Wish I had one of the sunburst mandalas given out at World’s that year to go with these materials. Have a pin to go with this somewhere.

9 Likes

Thanks for posting the literature on any of these it’s been really enjoyable to read

6 Likes

I’m working on the one on the right.

7 Likes

Obviously you are not a Dentist.

1 Like

This is the postcard Tom Kuhn Yo-Yos used to announce their second anniversary celebration and the premier launching of “Big Yo” from 1980. I received this card and a bunch of other Tom Kuhn print material the other day from a long time customer of the company.

I thought this was a fascinating look into Tom Kuhn’s early marketing.

6 Likes

Missed Fixed-Axle Friday delivery, but the “Tabby Cat” No-Jive has arrived. Very unique maple grain, you can feel the ridges through the varnish. I’ll have to pull out the scale, but it may be a little lighter than a typical SF-era kuhn.

17 Likes

Duuuuuuude!

2 Likes

Beautiful yo-yo, it’s pine though not maple.

1 Like

Although the grain is pine-esque I can guarantee that it’s maple. The only non maple no jives have been walnut diamond specials and birch veneer laminates. Pine would be like 25g. I agree it’s a crazy grain though. To me it looks like ash, but TK has always kept things super simple with the wood they’ve used.

Gets me thinking man I would love an oak No Jive…

10 Likes

Used this Flying Camel at the 1996 New Mexico State Yo-Yo contest (only fixed axle competing that year) - since then Tom signed it in Chico.

4 Likes