Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

Interesting. I search Tom Kuhn in eBay every couple days and I never saw this one.

I’m quite certain it was you Chris who bought the heirloom set. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow - that’s a big number! Haven’t seen one go that high for a couple years now. Thats is a really solid, and clean set - congrats to the new owner. One of these days we will have to compile a listing of all the known sets and their contents. I thought the Roy Rogers yoyos came much later in the product lifecycle (right before switch-over to full BC production).

How the H3ll did I miss that!!

1 Like

I have a spreadsheet where I tried to do that; it’s a Sisyphean task. The challenge is that many sets are assembled from someone’s favorite Tom Kuhns, rather than the 12 to 15 they came with. Of the 20-30 or so heirloom boxes I’ve seen photos of, I’d say half have yo-yos that feel out of place to me.

Generally speaking, the 12-slot Heirloom sets always include a No Jive 3-in-1, two Flying Camels (F & C), three Mandalas, two Diamond Specials, a Smo-Bro, a Woody, a Silver Bullet, and pot luck for spot 12. The 15 slot generally adds a SB-2, a Sleep Machine, and a Roller Woody. The 15-slot sets have more variation on what was included than the earlier 12-slot sets.

There are also three different engravings on the box covers that I have seen. One person told me the set they received had no engraving. The variations continue; some have hinges, some have latches, some have felt in the lid, some have bubble wrap.

No matter the variation, I can’t think of a company that has ever come close to the sheer awesomeness of a Tom Kuhn Heirloom Set.

6 Likes

Maybe this is a good thread to pose this question in. What string do you like to use with your No Jive 3 in 1’s? I’m burning through a YYE class 10 cotton string every couple days. Just seems like a lot, but maybe it’s not. Starting to think it may be better to make my own cotton string.

I have a ton of cotton string from the past. Nothing beats simple Egyptian cotton #8. I’ve even used Duncan string from packs that were sold in the early 60s recently.

I just use type 8 or type 10 cotton.

1 Like

@AndreBoulay @YoYoExpertEric is YYE planning to restock cotton string? It’s been out of stock for a while…

2 Likes

Yeah - we should - I’ll try to get a better ETA!

7 Likes

I am forever grateful for @CorbitsOrbits sending me a massive amount of YYE cotton last year. I still haven’t burned through it all! That being said, I’m definitely going to stock up for a rainy day when it comes back in stock.

2 Likes

Thanks!

The cat is not impressed.

So I’ve been thinking about getting some of the Zipline Kot-n. If someone has used that, how would you say it compares as far as thickness. Type 6, 8, 10?

I’d compare it to type 10, but more… boutique. It feels softer, and is more durable.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I was hoping for. :grin:

1 Like

she rarely is.

2 Likes

I’m so excited to be finally joining the club haha

Got a no-jive on the way.

Love seeing all these different pictures in here. Look so good!

4 Likes

It’s too cold to go outside today, so I decided to reorganize my Tom Kuhn bookshelf in my office.

While reorganizing I assembled this family photo:

Then they all went back onto the bookcase, which now features a new shelf.

22 Likes

I used these photos to demonstrate to my girlfriend how small my yoyo collection is compared to others.

5 Likes