Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

And if IIRC the No-Jive 3 had a fixed gap, unlike the adjustable system in Sleep Machine and Roller Woody. I think No-Jive 3 was a misnomer (was there ever a NO-Jive 2?) and pretty quickly became the Redline series.

It was a No Jive 3 in 1. Given that name because it can be assembled in 3 different configurations. Imperial, butterfly, and whatever one half facing one way and the other half facing the other way is called. :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Patagonia. Errr… Pagoda…

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s confusing. The “Maple Leaf” is the No Jive 1, the 3-in-1 is the 2…

2 Likes

A few things…
Tom Kuhn considered the No Jive 3-in-1 to be the second No Jive model. The original San Francisco Woodys are the first. I don’t believe that Tom Kuhn has a lot of input on the No Jive 3 design.
The Redline (2003) predates the No Jive 3 (2007). I agree they are similar and I agree that the names of the non-adjustable-gap, wood halves, and bearing yo-yos from Tom Kuhn don’t make a lot of sense.

2 Likes

Is “San Francisco Woody” the official name? I’d love to hunt one of these down. I’m assuming it’s a wood imperial shape. Would be fun to slowly break one in over years.

The Maple Leaf and Woody have pictures on the YoYo Wiki:

https://yoyo.fandom.com/wiki/Tom_Kuhn_No_Jive_Maple_Leaf

https://yoyo.fandom.com/wiki/Tom_Kuhn_No_Jive_Woody

The reproduction Maple Leaf (manufactured by Brad Countryman) can still be bought new if you know where to look, and Tom Kuhn currently sells a “Woody 2023” (also BC/What’s Next manufactured, I assume). The engraving is different, removing the “No Jive” name but also including a hexagon around the infinity logo, as a pretty clear reference to the nut on a No Jive.

(Uh, just not on the Woody or Maple Leaf version. The nut on the No Jive 2, aka the 3-in1, not to be confused with the No Jive 3, which, as we’ve established in the previous posts… etc., etc.)

It’s been so much fun browsing everyone else’s posts, and I’m in envy of so many of the collections here, but I figure after making so many posts in the thread today I ought to share mine. The butterfly-configured No Jives are unlacquered clean machines. The Lightning is in there on a technicality because of the TK logo.

@chrismacg 's rainbow collection in particular has reminded me how much I want a true TK laminate. (Telling myself that Hollywood Magic is responsible for the alignment of the halves is tempering the acquisition syndrome, but not by much!)

7 Likes

I don’t own a Tom Kuhn yet but hope to in the near future, I’d like to get the pocket rocket first I think

Check out the description on this listing. Pretty cool.

Same price as the TK Mission One… decisions decisions.

1 Like

Thanks, but I should let you know that the Laminate No Jives are a bit too heavy IMHO. They’re stunningly beautify but if you’re wanting a player you’ll find that you need to mod them a bit (a Duncan Friction sticker is ideal). The natural wood No Jives and engraved No Jives are much more fun (and the Clean Machine is above and beyond my fave).

Great collection BTW. I think the Lightning counts as a Kuhn; it has his name on it. :slight_smile: The Clean Machines are super hard-to-find these days.

2 Likes

Someone scored a box set on eBay yesterday. Listing ended with Buy It Now in 34 minutes.

I saw that! So did someone pay the $1,250 they were asking for?

Looks like it…

Oh $1,235, thats right. I definitely thought that was going to stay on eBay for a while. Guess not.

12 Likes

Is that the new Silver Bullet that was teased on Facebook?

1 Like

yeah i’m just trying it out and giving what feedback i can. having a lot of fun with it. i’m sure they’ll put out more details on it soon.

6 Likes

Someone just told me there’s a Tom Kuhn subreddit now. Not a lot of folks in there yet, but I’ll be posting my TK Fieldguide content there. Reddit doesn’t limit my characters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tomkuhn/

5 Likes

I’m not surprised that a mint Heirloom box went that quickly. With taxes that’s got to be close to $1400. I think the previous box went for over $1100.

I’m wondering who scored the 3-in-Wonder Flying Camel on Sunday for $50. I wonder if the seller is kicking themselves for taking that offer.