Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

My SB2 collection and my Pocket Rocket. Top two and the pr are from late 90s, bottom is my most recent purchase

10 Likes

Got lucky on this one! These were produced for an event and weren’t even on my list (mainly because I assumed I’d never find one). Definitely a rarity. Lol my collection is locked until 1/1, so I’m gonna have to store it separately for now.

19 Likes

I’d ask how difficult it was to not pop it on your finger and give it a toss, but probably not difficult at all for you. Hope the DeHcade year is going well!

3 Likes

Honestly I DO really miss throwing a No Jive, but for some reasons the desire is restricted to a natural/clean imperial one lol. So yeah no temptation (plus painted ones of this age are prone to cracking). But yeah, DeHcade is treating me great thx!

6 Likes

I have one of those and def. had to google the event to figure out what the heck. I do wonder who spring for these special yo-yos to be produced… such an odd choice

1 Like

I’ve recently started an Instagram account to document my collection of Tom Kuhn yo-yos. I’ve been wanting to find a way to catalog and share my collection of Tom Kuhn Yo-Yos for some time. I’ve posted group shots, like the one above, on Facebook and YYE Forums, but I wanted to have a place to share my collection and hopefully learn more about these fascinating yo-yos.

I’ll slowly be adding photos of each yo-yo in my collection as I can. I’ll also share details about different models like number made, design details, and any interesting stories I have gathered about an individual yo-yo or model. I’ll figure things out along the way. I hope you’ll join, like and comment.

https://instagram.com/tk_yoyo_fieldguide

15 Likes

I recently added the Rainbow Sleep Machine to my collection. I’m believe that there were six different rainbow laminated Tom Kuhn models, which means I’m only missing a rainbow RD-2. If you have one and want to sell it, let me know.

17 Likes

Normally I would pass on a rainbow, but seeing your collection that is beautiful.

2 Likes

Just got my first No-Jive last night and I’m finding myself totally enamored by it. I really haven’t put it down other than to go to sleep. Something about the smooth wood finish, weight, and size that allows it to fit perfectly in my hand. I’d say I’m on the No-Jive fan bus now.

18 Likes

No Jives are great. I picked up a second one recently. Very similar to yours in terms of gloss and color. Congrats on getting it!

2 Likes

welcome! i honestly remember my first throw/catch with a no jive. that feeling never really goes away.

6 Likes

From videos and photos I’ve seen, I’ve always thought they were larger. I was imaging a larger heavier Legend Wing. But the size is perfect! Now I’m on the search for one with the engraving on the outside in butterfly mode.

Question for ya, as someone who has played more No Jive than most: how often do you actually need to replace the axle sleeve? I can’t imagine ever needing to if it’s primary use is 0A style tricks.

2 Likes

Yeah really never unless you are doing hard throws and long sleepers. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve bought a few where the axle seemed a bit squished so I swapped it out, but for the most part I agree with Ed - pretty much never.

2 Likes

This thread makes me want to
Get a second no jive

2 Likes

I posted some details about a rare Tom Kuhn I recently added to my collection:

The Tom Kuhn “Dove and Mountain” Original Yo-Yo

1 Like

I happened to connect with an aging hipster who had some of these custom Tom Kuhn No Jive 3s that the band Portugal, the Man sold at shows starting in 2012. PTM only commissioned 200 of these No Jive 3s. It is the only rock band commissioned Tom Kuhn yo-yo to date.

The Yo-yo features different artwork on each side by John Gourley (singer/sonwriter for Portugal, the Man) and Austin Sellers (artist & designer) along with the Tom Kuhn Yo-Yos logo. The artwork is certainly the oddest engraving on a Tom Kuhn Yo-Yo with strange facial features and stars. This yo-yo was only sold at Portugal, the Man concerts or via the Warner Music online store; Tom Kuhn Yo-Yos never made any available. Because of this, many Tom Kuhn collectors were not aware of it’s existence.

I was really happy to be able to add a new Tom Kuhn model to my collection.

I’ve put an extra one on eBay if anyone is interested.

17 Likes

Figured this should be posted in this thread as well.

13 Likes

Wild design. They’re called No Jives (and not Sleep Machines or Redlines?)

The pamphlet in the packaging is the same as the No Jive 3 pamphlet and it came out after the release of the No Jive 3. In the 2010s Tom Kuhn Yo-Yos released a lot of variations of their yo-yos, it was their era when everything was a “limited edition.” The No Jive 3 was also called the Sleep Machine 2; they’re the same yo-yo with different engravings. They have the same response and bearing as the Redline, but the No Jive 3 halves have a different shape from the Redline (or butterfly Jive).

2 Likes