Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

Never asked this, but just had this thought Ed. Say you could keep 5 from that collection. Which would they be? I know your #1 would be one, at least I think it would be. But the others, would they be because of sentimentality or would they be players?

So many cool yoyos in that photo!

5 Likes

Prob these? Combination of play, nostalgia, and just ones I really ENJOY throwing. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

It makes me sad that no more No Jives are currently being made, and maybe no more ever will. :sob:

3 Likes

We’ll see. Everything has its season. There will always be a place for the No Jive in yo-yoing, but if it’s time is up, it’s had quite the run. :wink:

4 Likes

Can you elaborate? Have they announced the end? Is TK closing its doors or just no more NJ’s?

1 Like

They aren’t really making anything, just running through old stock, and all their (very limited) stock seems to be SB-2s and the like. See Tom Kuhn website / brand in decline?

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me too that thread. Honestly I got used to that nonsense so long ago (website down etc.) that I just accepted it as how their business ran. I actually almost posted something last week about how there phone number was disconnected… I let them know by email, twice, no reply. Finally got in touch with Lisa and she got it changed to what seems to be… Brad’s cell. I have 3 SB-2’s on my desk now that are dated 2018 and that got me thinking they were still producing new throws just last year, maybe they just had blanks to engrave.

5 Likes

They are still kinda kicking. It’s just reeeeeeeal slow. The SB-2 and Pocket Rocket parts they have been sitting on since 1999. They just have them sent from the machine shop where they ordered them 20 years ago every so often, anodize them or engrave them and release a few each year. They haven’t made new No Jives onsite in a long time. Since Brad sold his yo-yo tooling they’ve had No Jives & new wood models (which have been few & far between) done at a mill and have occasionally released factory seconds or other old stock. They’re just kind of in a holding pattern and it’s not clear if they’ll get out of it.

When I was with them, I would see delays in shipment with no explanation to customers, messages/emails which would go unanswered, lack of clarity in terms of models which were scheduled to be released (including the ill-fated crowd-funded SB-4). That stuff - as opposed to the dwindling production - was what caused me to step away from them. Brad is a super nice guy. Just kind of doesn’t get (or doesn’t want to invest in) making the brand a player again. I dearly love Tom, and don’t like to see his name go through these kicks and sputters. But I also know he’s totally secure and happy regarding what he did with the company.

I would love to see a TK renaissance, but it’s hard to imagine how it would happen (short of someone buying them out).

9 Likes

Sounds like @AndreBoulay has his work cut out for him :wink:

3 Likes

Man this makes me sad. I never had a TK, and over the last month or two got real excited about fixie stuff. Now I go to fing a No-Jive and see that eBay price gouging is my only option. Huge bummer. If anyone has a beater they want to sell me for a reasonable price, let me know!

Edit: I don’t know what I searched on eBay last week, but I did find many No-Jives for retail price on eBay. Still looking for a beater though. Gotta gets me them deals, lol.

5 Likes

I’m sure I have at least one San Fran era Jive in a suit pocket or an old pair of pants, but these are my Jives:

18 Likes

I see at least one in that collection I’d love to trade for :wink:

And I think at least one @edhaponik May still be looking for as well. Ever find the National Yoyo museum Ed? At least I thought that was on your “need” list.

6 Likes

The Magda 95er! I totally forgot about that yoyo. Good stuff.

3 Likes

My current collection, I’ve sold and given away a number, keeping my favorite players, but may be adding a few more in the next month :grin:

11 Likes

Not exactly a beater, but might suit your needs…

About half way down the page.

2 Likes

You definitely won’t beat $20 for a TK 3-in-1, I’d hop on that!

1 Like

I’ll take it! DM on its way.

Seems like it!

@jhb8426 got it! Love it! Already turned it inside out!

9 Likes

Great. Glad to see it arrived and is being enjoyed.

3 Likes