To get a metal or not to get a metal? That is the question.

And thats why I perfer more mature players…

Don’t you DARE stereotype us younger throwers by what he’s doing. That video is freaking hilarious. He can do the tricks, maybe, but he can’t get it back to his hand, which doesn’t really matter then. No hand return means an unsuccessful combo, even if the tricks were executed fine.

I am not stereotyping against younger players. I simply hate those who are not humble. I’ll land trapeze in front of a person and they’ll say Im amazing, to which Ill say I suck. Grant Johnson Is fine by me (exept, I hate Ellen, and children who sing) but I prefer players in this order:

1Guy wright/Jensen Kimmitt
2Tyle Severance
3Miggy
4JD
5Andre

Hey guys.

That’s me…

You better hope to god you forgot to put a JK after that sentence…

Q… I don’t forget that post a picture thread. Obviously not true. Also, I sure hope you couldn’t be that arrogant if you tried.

I meant my comment jokingly about the stereotyping part.

you might want to put a :stuck_out_tongue: face at the end of the joke, I had the same thing happen to me… :-\

Hahaha.
Fun times. Fun times.

What makes you say that about being cocky?
Ask the OP, I’m very arrogant.

LOL that reminds me of a joke i have with my friend. i say “i am modest. i am very modest. infact, i may be the most modest person alive”

No offense to anyone here, but this thread makes me laugh to myself in my head. Topic creator’s intentions were good but it took off in a (Somewhat) horrible direction.

1 Like

Purist’s thread… :stuck_out_tongue: Well I support them… So yeah. Plastic yoyo’s are awesome (no joke). Best Plastic yoyo ever? You people forgot about Crucial Cream yoyo’s man… Delrin power ;D ;D

Duncan Zero -> YYJ DM -> SPYY Pro.
I have always started with the most difficult process in a task, in my life.
It’s not impatience or the need to get to the end result quicker.

It’s what a very famous Jazz Bass player taught me years ago when I was starting bass. And that was, if I was going to play fretless, then start fretless. So I did, and it was the best thing I could ever of done. I can play fretless and fretted, and fretted was a breeze after running fretless for a time. Also I can play without looking at the neck. So it built my skills up exponentially as it would if I started with a fretted.

So I have always adopted that mentallity with everything, inculding my job, and I have never looked back.
True I had the Duncan Free initially, but only about 2 weeks before I bought the DM and the Pro. And now I just play with the Pro solely.

It’s different strokes for different folks, I have learned from my many centuries on the planet.
No two players will ever be the same, and will require different catalyst and attack their difficulties differently.

This is just what works for me…

Not sure what fretless and fretted are, but I’m going to guess fretless is actually harder? So then because many people consider playing with responsive plastics is harder, then you would want to stick with that until you get some stuff down?

I’m not saying you were wrong in your decision, just your logic. People are, however, free to do what they want with their money so if you enjoyed it, there is nothing wrong with your choice to get the DM and Pro that soon.

agreed
I think everyone should stop worrying about what other people do and pick up a yoyo and have fun.
I mean thats what it is about, right?

Back on topic. ProtoStar.

A fretless bass means you have no metal sticking up in the neck of your guitar/bass which many use when positioning their fingers to play notes or chords. Playing fretless is harder without the guides because it requires you position your fingers without the aid of the metal.

As for yo-yos I’ve been throwing plastic, resonsive yo-yos since my dad taught me somewhere around the age of 7-8. Trust me when I say that’s a long time. In the past year I discovered yo-yoing had expanded into a whole new world of unresponsive play. I started 8+ months ago on a LynFury then picked up a DM after I learned the basics of how to bind. I just received my first metal (Tactic) from a B/S/T this week and am really enjoying it. For me learning to throw straight and hard wasn’t an issue because I’ve always had yo-yos so that was being reinforced all along.

I say to each his own. When I started learning guitar it was on a Yamaha from Sears. It was painful but I learned a lot. When I bought an Ibanez things got easier because I wasn’t struggling with the instrument and the song at the same time. I’m noticing the same for myself with yo-yoing. I’m seeing more improvement when throwing my tactic with a wider gap and longer spin times. I plan on working tricks back through my DM and Lyn so I can do them smoothly on all yoyos.

Let’s just leave that alone and get back on topic.

Sorry, I thought that was part of the topic. I tend not to throw in on this stuff but there seemed to be some general confusion regarding fretless vs. fretted so I wanted to help clarify.

This was the original question asked:
It got me thinking; when is the proper time to get a metal yoyo?

I am guessing the originator was making the assumption metal is better than nonmetal which may not be true in all cases or for all people so I read this conversation more as: When are you ready for the next stage of yoyoing?

In my opinion, when you feel you are ready to move on. It really is an individual choice achieved at different times by each person.

see my siggy, click the youtube link…thats a plastic btw…

The right time to get a metal is when you can make up several combos and want to smoothen them out/

I’m a big jazz fan and now you have me curious. Who is/was the bass player?