To get a metal or not to get a metal? That is the question.

I started off with a duncan mosquito and used that for about 2 months then it broke and i decided it was time to upgrade to a xconvict and i loved it for about another 2 months then i decided it was time to get some lube and a better yoyo, thus i got a lunatic and some lube.I droped some in al my yos and went back to the xconvict for a while(thin lube by the way) and Then traded my lunatic for a 888x and traded that for a protostar,hyabusa,and fhz(bad trade but i did it).And know i have a blue 888x 2 dv888s a lunatic and much more and ive been throwing about 6-7 months but im a quick learner

Playing responsive helps you develop your yoyoingā€¦
And it will be much smoother in the futureā€¦

People that buys metal too fast may learn faster because of longer spin time but the smoothness of the tricks is gonna be differentā€¦

Thatā€™s my opinion and based on my surveyā€¦

I think a year is probably too long to wait, unless you are picking it up really slowly or never practicing. BUT, I do agree that people should wait SOME time before getting a metal. Oh ya, I think that all of those little steps up are CRAZY. You really donā€™t need to five different plastics to go from a complete beginner to a fairly experienced binder. I have a friend who I taught to yoyo. He started on my Hotshot, and borrowed all of my yoyos that I was not using as I got new ones. He then got his own metal, and you are right, he is not very smooth. I think it is not really about time, but how much you work and practice it.

that is why i keep responsive bearings and unresponsive bearings (a little too few in this area now). unresponsive rocks for tricks, but when practicing, i used to bust out my xconvict and a responsive bearing. i can grind with it and do a few whips (not super unresponsive) and i feel like i am smoother. but i sold my xconvict to my friend and lost my protostar, so all i have left is generalyos and metals that i want to sell.

Better 5 plastics than 1 metal of the same price. :wink:

Wait a minuteā€¦you said that youā€™re working on ADVANCED PART 2 but your favorite trick is Ladder Escapeā€¦which is in the MASTER section. I mean likeā€¦usually, people put their favorite tricks as tricks they can actually do. My favorite trick is Hiroyukiā€™s Circular Eli hops because I can totally do thatā€¦

I think that people really shouldnā€™t buy medals early unless they are REALLY into it. Iā€™d have to say I fell victim to the temptation of buying a medal early. I bought mine within my first month, but I was already learning Spirit bomb with a HAYABUSA and Velocityā€¦

Thatā€™s because they have better playability then the SFHG, and people have forgotten about that yoyo, and you canā€™t really find it anywhere.

Not really.

hey i saw that kid to on youtube he was bragging to be the only one in the world with one yet sponsered people have had them before him. and yes he was horrible.
btw did you know he has a acount here his name is zomha2 or something like that

Fixed.

Ummā€¦so a hard to find yoyo makes it worthless? Tell that to Oxy Ti, C22, 28 Stories Peak, and other yoyo owners.

So heres what i do and most of my friends do tooā€¦ Learn a trick on a metal till u get the hang of it. Then, we use yyj plastics to make tricks smother.

I got mine 2 years in, and by pure accident. I got an agape and a Lyn, and I had no idea how to use them. I didnā€™t even know such non returning yoyos existed, but I got better with them.

In your opinion that is.

Likewise.

(Edit:fixed failed quote :P)

1 Like

Obviously people havenā€™t forgotten about it if itā€™s the subject of a dispute here.

So very trueā€¦
I really donā€™t get all the ā€œdonā€™t get a metal, you donā€™t need oneā€ threads/posts. Offcourse you donā€™t need one, youā€™ll never need a Ferrari/Iphone/[fill in any luxery item here]ā€¦ either.
But it was way way easier for me to learn how to handle a string and where and how to place and use your fingers with a nice long spinning unresponsive yoyoā€¦
And i can do all the tricks i practiced on my metal yoyo way way way better now on my duncan flying squirrel and freehand 2ā€¦ You can buy a metal yoyo as a first yoyo and still become a smooth playerā€¦ And if you donā€™t get smooth, who cares anyways, as long as you have funā€¦

Ok well it seems thats its different for all.Me for instance i have been yoyoing for 3 months and i just ordered a dv888ā€¦I got into yoyoing first by gettign just a boring wooden one,then a starburst yoyo then i jumped straight into a PGM and i dident know how to bind at allā€¦but i leardned in 3 dayz and now im working on expert level tricksā€¦so the conclusion is that its different for everyoneā€¦
-$$B-

i think its not about when you get a metal. its about when you turn to unresponsive playing. because a protostar for example is just as unresponsive as any other metal out there if not more

I 100% agreeā€¦ That was a fail kid and if you can land even a trapeze on a brain, I congratulate you.

you mean THIS KID?

I want to punch that kidā€¦

In the video hes using a 2010 g5. He fails a plastic whip, lands the plastic whip does around 3 revolutions on a gyro flop and does a SBM revolutionsā€¦so proā€¦

That is kind of sadā€¦jk. I consider myself an intermediate-low advanced player, and I can do somewhat better. But, I donā€™t really like those people who think they are all that, when they arenā€™t.