Time to give CLYW some guff :-)

(This is all in good fun, put down the pitchforks and torches)

Was at a party tonight and someone notice the Yeti in my holder and asked to see it. First thng he said was “This says made in Canada” and I said it was indeed made in Alberta. His follow up was “where is the French?” So Chris, where is the French? :slight_smile:

I wonder if Chris actually speaks French…

They only speak Frenchie in Quebec. They speak various forms of some weird canuck dialect of the king’s English in the rest of the country. As in “Darrel, howz a boot ya trow me anudder Molson, Ehhhh.” :wink:

Well I mean every region has that. We minnesoooootans aren’t innoooocent.

Yes Quebec is where is the French are :slight_smile: they speak Le québécois French like Mexico speaks a form of slang of the original Spanish but each country can roughly understand the other.

Thanks for all the interest in my province guys.

Here we say LE yeti

3 Likes

Actually, you find french words on almost every product, no matter where you are. For example, it would be Crisp and Thin on one side and Croustillants et Fins on the other. Good good stuff…

Many years ago I was speaking with young lady at Mall of America in Bloomington and she had the most unusual accent. I couldn’t place it but it was quite distinctive. Later at Planet Hollywood the waitress had the same accent as did some people sitting around me. Ah-ha! They were speaking Minnesotan. You folk talk different up there.

Yeah, you betcha. Looks like snow.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has a similar accent.

I could have sworn there was a mandate that all Canadian products be labeled in French as well as English. I know Nintendo got in trouble during the NEW or SNES era fro not including French on the packaging and in the manuals.

Lol sounds about right. I don’t have that accent… People from multiple regions have confirmed my ‘accent’ is kind of a neutral blend.

JHB is right. Only in Quebec people speak french. Elsewhere it is mostly if not all english.

Even here in Toronto most people communicate in english.

I’m guessing this is done because it is mandatory in my home province of Quebec, and that way they dont have to print two separate packages for different parts of Canada, they can just ship it everywhere.

There are pockets of french people outside Quebec (I think the maritime provinces have a pretty significant french population) but yeah western Canada is probably less french than Louisiana :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“snowmanjoshu,post:12,topic:58928”]
Not saying you are wrong but I wonder if that is actually true. :slight_smile:

Going slightly off topic on this. Is the French spoken in Quebec true French, a Canadian dialect like Mexican Spanish vs. European Spanish, or is it becoming more of a creole like what is spoken in Louisiana?

I can usually tell between Quebec french and french french. It’s hard to describe, you can just tell. French french sounds better, more natural to me.

1 Like

québécois is night and day with French French like you said French French sounds much nicer and just sounds like it a much more natural.

Yeah… having grown up in Montreal, Quebecois French is nowhere near as ‘romantic’ sounding a language as Parisian French. I think that’s the least offensive way I can say that XD

1 Like

Hope I wasn’t offensive in my posts.

I have not read any offensiveness in your posts Snafu. It is hard to talk about this stuff without it coming off strange.

It sounds like Old World (usually the term for European languages) French is similar to Old World Spanish. I have been around native speaking Old World Spanish speakers as well as Central and South American Spanish Speakers. You can definitely tell a difference in the dialects, almost similar to the difference in accents between a New Yorker, a Texan, an Ohioan, and a Minnesotan. It is all regional just like in Spain there is a difference between Castilian Spanish and the Spanish spoken in Madrid.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah it is definitely a region based think. We had the opportunity to travel Ito Quebec some year ago and it was a strange, but fun place and the accents were definitely fun.

The france french is considered more classic, but then again, depends to who you talk to. Generally, you people talk faster and have more slang. Also, french has a few regional dialects. The southern accent is really great with the rolling r’s and adding syllables where they should not be.

The accent here is less refined and more speedy. People tend to chew some words and clip off parts of sentences or words to talk faster or lazier. Even here, we have regional dialects. People from out east, like lac saint jean, have a noticeably different accent and pronounciation of certain words.

In Québec, product labels, their instructions, manuals, warranty certificates as well as restaurant menus and wine lists must be in the official language. Other languages may be used, provided the official language’s prominence is at least equivalent.
Catalogues, brochures, folders, commercial directories and other such publications, must be in the official language. All software (for example, video games and operating systems) must be available in French unless no French version exists.
Signs and posters must be in the official language and they may also be in another language provided the official language be markedly predominant.