Ti yoyo recommendations?

Oh I thought stability and power were the same/similar…what exactly is the difference?

2 Likes

Do you know how frequent that is?

1 Like

Well, I’m not 100% certain how other people define it, but for me, stability is the tendency for the yoyo to stay on plane, in both axes.

Power’s harder for me to define, but to me it’s how easy it is to get it through the air. In a lot of ways (again, to me), it’s the opposite of float, though not in all ways. If it’s powerful, it’ll move through the air solidly, it definitely feels like it knows where it’s going. Lighter yoyos, or more floaty yoyos, sometimes feel a little “flighty.”

That probably makes no sense.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same. When I think power I think how well its gonna keep spinning when I play sloppy and the string rubs the wall

5 Likes

Any Mg is just better than Ti.
Just saying Sir.

3 Likes

I was afraid somebody was going to ask me that. I’ve gone back and forth between them a lot last night and they have more in common than any other pairing of my 50ish Ti yoyos. I was only going to keep one it would be very hard for me to say which it would be. There were 2 big reasons I bought a tibird. One is that I have really enjoyed yoyofriends’ lineup of bird yoyos, and the TiSS Hummingbird is universally praised and the manufacturer said the tibird offers the same play at a better price point. Second is I really like blasted anodized Ti and that rainbow finish is eye popping. If the tibird was only available raw or I couldn’t justify having two pretty similar expensive yoyos in my collection, I would have passed on it. I’m a player who is most interested in how changes in shape, weight distribution, etc impact the play of a yoyo and the opportunity to compare these and gain more understanding of the trade-offs of yoyo design was irresistible.

I’m sure a competition oriented player who has a demanding well rehearsed routine could point out where they differ and which is preferred for their routine, and another competition player would have the opposite preference. I think they are both equally capable of being used by a competitor at the highest level.

The gram of weight difference (tibird is 64.15 grams, anti is 63g) is the most noticeable difference. The antithesis does rapid direction changes with a bit less effort but I have to be quite a bit more aware of doing them cleanly, where the tibird takes slightly more effort to make a bunch of rapid direction changes but tolerates me being a bit more sloppy. It is a little easier for me to do my limited horizontal play on the tibird, it just gives me a bit more juice and tolerates my lack of precision here. Catches on hard returns is slightly more comfortable with the antithesis but the tibird is easier to return when rpms are low. I think binds are slightly crisper/tighter on the tibird, but that could be due to the fresher response pads and the difference between the stock string on the tibird vs markmont dragon on the antithesis. I can feel plenty of other small distinctions in their play, but none which would be make or break for me in one vs the other.

Here’s a bunch of pictures closely comparing the two.

17 Likes

Wowwww, thank you for the comprehensive write-up. I really appreciate it. They really do look very similar in the pictures. From what you’ve said, it seems like I would enjoy the Antithesis more than the Ti-Sunbird purely because it’s easier to do rapid direction changes. I still haven’t gotten my Antithesis yet so yeah. I’m mostly intrigued by the Ti-Sunbird because the Hummingbird is my current favourite yoyo, and if the Ti-Sunbird manages to play like the Hummingbird, I will definitely getting one. But I’ve heard that it plays more similar to the Sunbird than the Hummingbird, which has a very different feeling. If you do have a Hummingbird as well, do you mind comparing the Ti-Sunbird to the Hummingbird as well? Thank you.

3 Likes

So this is another one that is going to be tough to get but the Ti Wisteria kind of fits what your looking for id think.

I own a lot of Ti and it’s for sure one of the best playing YoYos around.

9 Likes

Metavity recommended above is awesome and I can sell one to you (I have two). I’m not a YYF fan at all, and still I highly recommend it. I can also sell

• RSO Ti Bowl
  • RSO Spaceship
  • RSO Mecha-Bapezilla
  • G2 TiShee

All mint & smooth, except little vibe on TiShee. As you can guess from the above, I think RSO makes the best Ti yoyos.

3 Likes

I have all three of the Sunbird, TiSunbird and Hummingbird.

I would echo that TiSunbird is very similar to Sunbird–very balanced, and a great all-around V shaped yoyo. I was slightly disappointed in how similar they were, that is until I started to really throw it around hard. That’s when I noticed the TiSunbird has a lot more power. It also does feel more planted without feeling heavy. I think it’s a tad faster as well but I’m not sure if that’s because it actually is faster or because of my own bias knowing that it’s titanium. Again, it plays like the Sunbird, but it has that extra gear of power when you throw it hard without any weight penalty.

It is significantly heavier than the hummingbird (64.15g vs 62g), and on the string I do feel the extra weight, but it still doesn’t feel heavy. It is slower than the Hummingbird, but not by much. The extra weight for Ti-power and stability is a reasonable trade off, one that I think lot of pro-level speed players would consider. I’m not that skilled but I’ve read that the Hummingbird, being very fast and very light, runs into stability issues when you push it to extreme limits at the competition level. I’m guessing the extra power and weight would make the TiSunbird more stable at extreme speeds. Having said that, I do like the Hummingbird very very much and it’s still is one of my favorites.

Both are really great. But while they are both in the same family, but I wouldn’t consider the TiSunbird to be a direct upgraded Ti-version or improved variant of the Hummingbird, which seems to be what you are looking for. So I’m not sure you’d be 100% happy with it unless you understand you are getting and are good with the tradeoff of weight for extra power.

Edit:

When I say power, I’m referring to angular momentum or the yoyo’s ability to keep spinning. I’ll do a trick with the TiSunbird and it will come back to my hand spinning harder and faster than the Sunbird.

Stability is how easy it is to keep the yoyo on plane and not tilt. They are related as more powerful yoyos will be more stable. Another edit: I’d probably add that stable yoyo’s go where you want them too and are easy to control.

9 Likes

My impression is that the tibird handles fast direction changes more like a hummingbird, but its feel on the string and how its weight in play feels closer to the sunbird. The hummingbird sometimes frustrates me because it can respond a little too easy to my inputs, so if I’m trying to push my speed or make a quick transition from another another trick into a suicide, I’m more prone to over shooting or losing control of the hummingbird. The tibird feels somewhere in between the sunbird and hummingbird, the tibird fixes my main issues with the hummingbird by being able to go fast with ease but feeling more settled and less jittery.

6 Likes

Thank you @Flyinghippo and @d34dj3d.

@Flyinghippo I see. The thing is, I don’t have a sunbird so I have no idea how it plays and whether or not I like it, that’s why I’m trying to get comparisons with the Hummingbird haha. It’s great to hear that it’s more powerful than the sunbird though, as I tend to push my yoyos pretty hard.

Ohhh, that’s great. It seems like the Ti-Sunbird is like my 7075 Mowl Surveillance (my second-favourite yoyo as of now) when compared to the Hummingbird, trading some speed and agility for more power and stability which gives it a slightly more weighty feel, but it’s still pretty easy to move around on the string.

Ah alright, but from what you’ve said above, I think the Ti-Sunbird will definitely suit me as long as it doesn’t sacrifice too much of it’s speed and agility for the added power as I don’t like yoyos that are reluctant movers.

@d34dj3d Ohhh, that sounds great! Seems like it will be a yoyo that I’ll enjoy, especially since it doesn’t seem to sacrifice much of it’s agility and it’s more powerful.

I think I’ll end up picking one or two up when I have the budget for it! Hopefully they don’t sell out before I have the cash for it. They have been going pretty quickly as of late haha.

3 Likes

How has this devolved into a discussion about Hummingbird yo-yo’s; when this is about Ti yo-yo’s that are superior?

In no particular order…

1. Ti Krown
  2. JT Shaqshine bros. Ti
  3. Jt Rebira
  4. YYR Seventh Heaven
  5. TP Mustang
8 Likes
  1. Bowl
  2. Acadia
  3. Fulvia
  4. SalTi
  5. Neutron
3 Likes

Do you know where the Metavity would fit on this list? I hear its kinda similar to the Mustang?

1 Like

It’s not about that either. That should be posted in this thread instead. It’s about recommending @skeletonboy333 a Ti yoyo that suits his needs. And since the unanimous vote goes to the Metavity, I think we have given him a decent recommendation so I decided to piggyback off this thread to ask @d34dj3d for more information about the yoyos he recommended.

3 Likes

Out of the yoyos I have, Metavity is most similar to mustang but still play significantly different. I have the rough blast edition mustang, not the mustang se which is ~2 grams heavier. My metavity is 0.1 gram heavier than my mustang and about 3.5 mm wider, their diameters are fairly close. Their difference in play bears out the specs, the mustang feels more compact, denser and maneuverable in play. The metavity has greater directional stability. If I was given an unmarked Metavity and asked what it was, I would have guessed it was a Turning Point yoyo, it looks and feels like one. I probably would’ve thought it was another spin on the mustang.

Unfortunately the mustang is the only one I have on @YoyoGeezer’s list, but every yoyo on his list is at the top of my yoyos I’d like to try list. I have everything on @sloegoe’s list and agree with him that those are all great yoyos, but would order them differently.

8 Likes

How do you feel the Ti Krown compares to the Mustang (or Metavity if you have/tried one)? Does the Krown feel like it has less power/spin-time (because it’s ~1.4g lighter)?

1 Like

Gotcha, really appreciate your responses and comparison! Thanks

1 Like

The Ti Krown and the TP Mustang are very different. The Ti Krown is light and floaty; with plenty of power. The Mustang is solid, super-fast and maneuverable; with plenty of power.

The Metavity is available now from YYE. That makes it an easy choice.

5 Likes