Thumb Grind Bind

I’ve seen some freestyle videos, and I’ve noticed some of the throwers were doing thumb grinds then some how binding from them while the yoyo was still on their thumb. I’ve tried myself, but it doesn’t work. Any pointers?

I’ve done it beore, i’m sure in the way your thinking of though. Could you show me a vid you saw it in?

This video is mainly where I saw it. Look around 0:22 and 1:27

This isn’t the greatest example because he doesn’t land it, but he tries to do it at about 0:12

Now that I know what your talking about. My Dark Magic will do that. All you have to do is that while it is grinding kinda feed the string in to the yoyo by bringing your throw hand closer to the yoyo. If it is even kinda responsive, the string should wrap around the axle and bind it back. I’ve seen people do actual binds while grinding as well.

1 Like

i think you really need like a semi-responsive yo to do that. i do not believe a TRULY unresoponsive yoyo can do that…

If you whip some string into the gap, it will catch, and then you can start to feed the string into the gap so it will bind.

This is true, but based on that video he provided (the dark magick one) It definately looks as if is it more what i was describing : a semi responsive yoyo. that is exactly what one of my nicer yoyos will do if my bearing is getting gunked up of my string tension is too tight, you throw a breakaway to fingergrind for example and the entire string wraps up in the gap and binds. but to do this on purpose, would be cool. lol.

I think he was just clarifying that unresponsive yoyos also can do that.