Thoughts on UNPRLD Abduction?

It’s a pretty interesting yo-yo. I’m interested.

3 Likes

It’s a heavy, stable yoyo, and it plays just like the specs suggest.

1 Like

It’s really good and smooth and very stable I have one if you want to trade?

1 Like

It’s an H and 7075 so I like it a lot. Great value for the price. Some people say it is a bit heavy but I like ‘em round, and big … and when I’m throwin’ a gig I can’t help myself a bit heavy

I meant to mention I bought a set of Abductions from @unprldelliot on the #buy-sell-trade here a while back and I am still kicking myself that I didn’t get him to sign them before he sent them :sob:

2 Likes

Play 3a

Super stable. I’ve personally been using it recently to practice going faster since it’s so heavy.

6 Likes

Stability is what stands out the most. Yes it is heavy and does not play fast. But personally I find I have more control over the yoyo. It rocks at 5a and I’m considering buying another for 3a.

It seems like most of the UNPRLD stuff is on the heavier side. I like the look of some of the designs, especially the ReCognition but the weight really puts me off.

What characteristics make a yoyo particularly well-suited to 3a play?

A slightly tighter gap than usual is nice. You wouldn’t want it to be too wide.

But stability is the biggest thing tbh. And unlike 1a lighter isn’t really better cuz you won’t be blitzing through combos, so something heavier for additional stability, even with bimetals, is fine and might actually be more ideal. This is why some of the most highly praised 3a yoyos are heavier bimetals.

Switching pairs feels drastically different compared to switching yoyos in 1a so getting really comfortable with one pair is probably more beneficial than it is in 1a.

But because of that you also feel the differences and potential shortcomings of one yoyo vs another moreso than in 1a. The yoyo you use definitely matters more and will make more of a difference in 3a than in 1a. Same with centering vs flat.

3 Likes

Finding a narrow(ish)-gap, slightly-heavy, bi-metal that is for sale in both red and blue (my favorite two yoyo colors) would seem to be harder than landing a Beefhook blindfolded…

Anything stable, narrower than 46, and at least 64g will work tbh. Protostars were extremely popular for starting 3a 5+ years ago and many people start with replay pros today.

And if anything you probably wouldn’t want to start off with bimetals since they’re less durable. Plastic or 7075 Alu would be the best options. Abductions are probably one of the best monometals for 3a

I imagine VTWOs would be really solid and you already have a bunch of those

4 Likes

Well, I’m also trying to think of something I wouldn’t mind banging together a lot. I wonder if something cheap, like say the N12 Shark’s Honor would work. I mean, it can’t be any worse (performance-wise) than a ProtoStar, right?

1 Like

Yeah those should be fine. You’d just be starting out anyway. The first time I tried 3a I used 2 different yoyos. The first pair I had were protostars. That was a long time ago though, I never really got anywhere aside from getting into the basic mounts until just over a month ago

1 Like