Thoughts on the Godspeed yoyo?

Angel2up is the most influential yoyoer on TikTok, bringing a new generation of yoyoers to our community. That statement alone garners respect. I know nothing else about the man outside of him doing a trick called Godspeed, which would make Augie Fash smile.

I believe he is connected with yoyofactory and they worked together to bring his signature yoyo “Godspeed” to life. Specs have not yet been listed, but it should be priced at around 34.99 and, fingers crossed, available at yoyoexpert in the near future.

I personally dig the shape, a lot.

11 Likes

What’s the weight on it? Is it going to be super light, like 55 grams?

3 Likes

Spec should be available tomorrow he said. I’ll make an effort to remember to update in the thread.

A little surprised they didn’t make it DNA friendly as the DNA is a huge trend.

2 Likes

Its out

not the shape I expected from Angel , looks pretty cool . organic v is a very cool shape. looks like rim and mid weight will be decent.

1 Like

Yeah, while something might be available elsewhere, like this which was released just now, I push not to draw attention to that and wait for it to drop on yoyoexpert so that they get a cut. I know yoyoexpert doesn’t mind though, they just don’t want links to other stores posted, which is more than fair.

Angel was asking for color suggestions last night, I brought up Unknown.

Al’s, apparently the Doorknob is his favorite yoyo, lol.

1 Like

I find the shape cool, just a little surprising. For a yo-yo called Godspeed you would think it would have a hard v shape with a bunch of rim weight.

8 Likes

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. You would think that it would be a heavy v shape of some sort while playing really nimble and fast on the string for Angelo’s fast playing (Godspeed) tricks.

4 Likes

65 grams in the IG comments

4 Likes

Yeah, I wonder if he knew that his first signature yoyo would possibly be going into the hands of a lot of beginners that watch his tik tok and decided to design something that would feel nice in the hand for a newcomer, but with still being capable to accomplish his tricks with ease.

If that’s the case, even more kudos. He did say last night that his second favorite yoyo company was Yoyorecreation or Turning Point, which tells me he likely didn’t go with the hard V shape as a tip of the hat to the newbies that will be picking it up to learn on.

1 Like

I like it. Reminds me of the Dang 2.

6 Likes

I was JUST about to say the same.
Seems like a slightly more organic Dang 2 with a response bump

6 Likes

Or a B-grade Canon without the hub spike.

At about $35 it’s up against tough competition though, like the Silenus, Colossus, Shutter, Speedaholic XX etc.
And the Speedy and Shutter will almost certainly blow it out of the water for performance with their more aggressive shapes and fingerspin capabilities, if that’s a big deal on TikTok.

Not saying it won’t be good, but it’ll have to be good! Or have great marketing.

Ivan

7 Likes

He has 3.1 million followers. The yoyos you mentioned could most definitely offer a bump in performance, but we won’t know until some veterans report back after trying it.

His number of followers alone will likely make this as popular if not more popular than the shutter. It may not get as hyped here, but that is because those 3.1 million followers of his stay on TikTok and discord. Obviously not all 3.1 million of them keep up with him, but if only 3 percent do, that is almost 100,000 people that could very well but a Godspeed.

@yyfben2.deactivated Are you at liberty to share anything on the subject, and does anything I stated above sound plausible?

3 Likes

I am excited! I am kinda shocked at how it looks more retro than modern…

3 Likes

Cool to see he got a signature, it’s well deserved.

I feel like his throw design represents his playstyle, not the videos that got him the following he has. I think he took the name Godspeed from his speed combo because that’s what he blew up off of and that’s what he’s known for by the mass public who follow him. It’s marketing more than anything imo.

However… This is what I know him for.

To me, his style doesn’t scream “Godspeed” or “speed combos” at all. It’s like if someone like Shu got famous off of the Godspeed trick by coincidence and everyone expected him to release a competition yoyo, but he releases a looper from left field because that’s more true to who he is.

I personally can’t vibe with the TikTok culture, but I’m glad he’s taking advantage of the platform and I’m glad he’s gotten so much success. He didn’t just get big overnight, go watch his first few vids, he’s like 6 years old teaching Gentry tricks… He’s been working at it non stop, and his 15~ or so edits on youtube before the godspeed explosion are enough proof that the kid is insanely good at yo-yoing. The downside to me is that his followers don’t understand nor appreciate the art this guy makes, they just want the costco free sample when this guy’s got the whole damn store in his pocket.

11 Likes

I definetly see he has been in it for years and is no one trick pony. He was saying last night that he remembers learning tricks from Jensen back when he was ten years old. I learned from you that going Godspeed is not his original passion, and that this design is more akin to his preferred play style. I appreciate the knowledge as he mostly appeases his fans by doing their favorites. I made him chuckle last night requesting he do Motorcycle, lol.

In regards to his followers, a large large portion are just kids. They haven’t reached maturity. They will shout-out to him in the chat with the same three tricks over and over (Godspeed, DNA and Spiderman.)

Is it annoying, yes. Was I annoying when I was a preteen, no, I was a good kid, but majority of my peers were just annoying as ■■■■. When I had mastered the tricks I could by age 13, my peers kept asking for the same three tricks (split the atom, rollercoaster, and brain twister.)

Granite, that was my top three tricks, but as I learned more, no one cared. They enjoyed the three tricks I did, and they went on to other things.

A handful of them didn’t, and we went deep together. Since he has 3.1 million followers, a handful of them could very well be the future of yoyoing.

5 Likes

Yea, I wasn’t trying to make any accusations of people saying he was or wasn’t a one trick pony (my bad it came off that way.) just in my mind I think to his mass following they don’t realize his actual skillset - like you said, 3 tricks, lmao. If anything, I think he’s got the best grasp of making tricks play to the beat of his music out of a lot of what I’ve seen.

I’m completely oblivious to the social media scene aside from Youtube so I understand that the culture is for the younger generation. We were all at that age and I’m glad kids have a platform to hang out on. And that is why I respect Angel and want to support him. He’s a young kid, not even of age to drink, but he treats all of his young viewers with respect and listens to their requests no matter how annoying or redundant it is. Like with my nephews and nieces, it’s all walk the dog and rock the baby, they don’t care about a 2.5 hook. And that’s cool with me, as long as I can do a trick for someone I’m stoked. But I could see where it could get annoying, and he still does it all. To me, this guy is a great ambassador for our hobby, and I’m all for it.

It’s like you said, a small % of those kids will pick it up and continue on. They will be our future. Supporting YYE, YYS, Angelo, and all of these dudes on the forums in our community, and those who sponsor and set up competitions like SCALES are all the backbones to why we’re still able to enjoy yoyo’s… It’s kinda why I enjoy this community so much over others. Everyone’s doing it purely for the love of the sport and that’s a rare thing these days. I was primarily a lurker, but I couldn’t help but join in the conversation, this community is that welcoming.

My wish is that with Angelo’s success, Brick and Mortar yo-yo shops have a chance to come back if the scene can grow enough to push the demand. If buying a couple of Angelo’s throws helps that cause… I’m down.

8 Likes

Much love brother, and nothing you said came off incorrect, you spoke truth, I learned and added my own to it.

I really really hope the TikTok communities find a link with yoyoexpert so that the TikTok kids that stick around will have a place to enjoy talking and sharing about the hobby.

I would love to see brick and mortar yoyo stores make a comeback, have a little yoyo lounge in the back that you toss 5 bucks to enter and make trades and swap tricks. Might be a pipe dream.

6 Likes

It’s more likely a magic store that welcomes juggling and yo-yos.

2 Likes