Thoughts on DV888

Isn’t the capless a little expensive for him? If not, go for it!

I’ve never tried a token btw, bit thats the only undersized throw I know (not counting the g funk which I didn’t like very much)
I forgot the price, but the Burnside is awesome! The colorway I tried was just beautiful.

If you can afford the Capless, it gets my vote, just sayin.

I can afford anything from a Duncan Imperial to a Summit. It’s not that I can’t afford a Capless. It’s just that it’s not what I’m looking for. At 56mm in diameter it’s full sized. Just like everything else I own. I’m looking for an undersized throw. Something different. Were there any undersized throws you actually liked?

Love my Supra. But you can’t find those new, at least not here.

Agreed. You could try to find one off the b/s/t

You could try a g funk. I ended up really liking it with a CT in it.

G-funk is a really cool undersized, and not expensive! Don’t forget to look in the “Champion’s Collection” section if you’re interested in one.

If you are doubting the DV888, but you really like how it looks and can afford better throws, check out One Drop MarkMont Next. They are VERY similar in size and shape, and the MMN probably has a lot better reputation along with a better bearing and side effects.

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/224/One-Drop-MarkMont-Next

The MMN does NOT have Side Effects.

1 Like

Cool. That’s a specialized nut. My bad.

It has to be my favorite throw for its spin time, smoothness, ability to do ANYTHING, and the low price ^-^

I’ve gone on many times about the dv888. Here I go again. I should just find something else and copy/paste it.

First off, facts are facts. The dv888 is an undersized yoyo. This is important, most if you dislike or have a preference for this size. Is it a bad yoyo? Not in the least. Is it a great yoyo? That’s opinion. Another opinion is that at $45, I feel the yoyo is priced exactly right.

My impressions:
I have nothing against any sized yoyo except the Mighty Flea and that’s for me, I can’t handle it, it’s too darn small. My preferences are for full sized, but I play stuff all over the place.

The dv888 is a solid feeling yoyo. It feels heavy for it’s size to me. It is rim weighted, which is necessary for stability and good spin times on this yoyo. This yoyo can handle anything you want to do with it, pretty much. However, even in motion, it still plays kind of heavy to me, but again, let’s consider the shape of the yoyo and where the weight is.

I can’t really find fault with the yoyo. They are good. To me, they are just kind of bland. Even so, I do think this is a yoyo that should be in darn near any collection. It’s kind of a reference model. Still, nothing exactly sticks out to me with this yoyo as anything special. It feels like what I’d expect from a $45 yoyo. I will say I am extremely glad I have it. I even got my kid one and he really enjoys it. I will say that surface treatment leaves a bit to be desired as I prefer a textured surface for grinds and this is rather smooth…

So, should you get one?

If you’re looking for a first metal, then it’s certainly one to consider. It’s still a good performer and it’s at a great price. However, if you’re not into smaller yoyos, this is really the most critical reason to avoid getting one. I think for the money, for a first metal, there are better options IF you’re into the undersized stuff.

Again, very solid performance, feels heavy in the hand, in the air and on the string, heavy rims. This will get you through nearly anything you want to do. Many people have reported vibe issues, where-as I’ve been lucky and have been spared those problems, either that or I don’t care. A touch of vibe usually doesn’t bug me.

As I said, it’s pretty much a reference item yoyo. Yes, people love it, people hate it, and people like me are like “well, it’s decent and all, but it’s nothing special”. I feel it is a safe purchase. However, there are thousands of these so if you don’t like it, don’t expect it to hold much trade or sale value on BST

My opinion though is that there may be items that, while cost more, may also be better option.

If you’re considering the MMN instead? Just get it. While the MMN and dv888 have nearly identical shapes, the MMN is an amazing yoyo worth easily 25% OVER full retail over what you’re going to pay for it.

What is with you hating on my recommendations? I have my opinion and you have yours. Deal with it.

And about the DV888 - I don’t have much bad to say. Maybe a little too heavy on the string and a little bit vibey. My choice to not talk about those small cons. Not flawed logic. It is flawed logic to talk about how my recommendation was bad when you could just talk about your thoughts on it and not hate on mine. And anyway, didn’t you just do the job of preaching why it isn’t so AMAZING?

Ha, I’m not hating on your recommendation. In your last post, you say we all have our own opinions. That’s EXACTLY what I tried to convey with mine. You clearly said “Don’t let anyone tell you it stinks”. Well, isn’t that trying to shut out someone’s opinion? What if someone has the opinion that it stinks? By making that post, you have started bashing my opinions, yet you say that we are all entitled to our opinion…

And nowhere in my post did I say it’s a bad yoyo. I repeatedly said that it just doesn’t fit my preferences. I wasn’t saying you recommendation was flawed-- if that’s your opinion about it, then express it. I meant that when you said “Don’t let anyone tell you it stinks”. Like you said, we all have our opinions. I said in my post “If you like solid throws, you may like this”. I never bashed it. At the end of my post it is plainly said, “This is not a bad yoyo”.

And when have I ever “hated” on your recommendation in the past?

I think this was just a bit of a misunderstanding. I wasn’t “hating” on your recommendation… Just giving my opinion of the yoyo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reminder:

This is supposed to be a discussion about the dv888, and there’s going to be differing opinions.

There’s no reason for this to get out of hand.

If you like it, great. If you don’t, that’s fine too. We’re all entitled to our own opinions.

^ I second this.

Based on the commentary I’ve made a decision. Thanks to all that contributed to the discussion.

I’m sorry for clogging up your thread, I’ve already made an apology via PM to redneck. :slight_smile:

What did you decide on? I’m pretty interested to see what you chose!

I see what you mean. I am sorry for sounding like I was trying to get him to not listen to bad opinions on it.

Thank you for kind of taking back what you said about my “flawed logic” in my recommendation.

You had previously kind of hated on the fact that I had recommended the FAST 201 as a good beginner yoyo in another thread (I think you know what thread I am talking about).

Yes, it was all a misunderstanding. We both thought that we were were attacking one another. I am sorry. Please forgive me.

P.S. Thanks for the PM.

Ok.

So overall, this is a very solid dense yoyo with no rim weight.

There are many better options for the price.

It’s up to you to decide. Personally, if you can find a Yuuksta, that would be a much better option.

But otherwise, there is the Raptor, Echo, G-Funk, Onedrop Cafe Racer, etc.

Pick any of those. You’ll be much happier.

No.

Overall, this is a very solid, dense yoyo with LOTS of rim weight.

Better options for the price? That’s an opinion. I find I like other stuff for the price. However, the dv888 is priced at exactly what I think it should sell for.

Any of your alternatives would be fairly decent. I would toss the Dunan Metropolis in there as well. I’m not a big fan of the G-Funk, but that yoyo isn’t an ideal fit for me.