this kinda annoys me...

Having re-read my comment I apologize if this sounded like it was directed at anyone. It was supposed to be a light hearted self-deprecating (hence the ‘for me’ part) comment aimed at lightening the mood. I hang my head in shame…

I guess having made such a gaffe I should offer up an honest opinion. Yoyoing should be fun for all, regardless of what one wants to get out of it. Some people (including myself) are really quite mediocre players, but enjoy collecting. This is just as much of a valid outcome as being the best yoyoer in the world. Collecting, without being very good, is also something that us people who came to yoyoing late in the game can aspire to/enjoy, without the time, and in my case agility, to become the superstar throwers. That doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy throwing. It also doesn’t, or at least shouldn’t, mean we are less deserving.

Regardless of that, if a yoyoer wants to pick up a seriously high end throw, there are no defining limits on when that can happen, and that is a good thing.

My final point of contemplation is that there are many far more expensive hobbies. One of yoyoing’s little joys is being able to pick a yoyo that someone won some big competition with. If that means picking up a Protostar and emulating Jensen then I respect that. Alternatively it could mean picking up a Sleipnir. Either which way you’re going to have a good time.

I didn’t read anything but the first post so this was probably said, but… Professionals probably use cheap one either to
A. Prove something (“this yoyo can do this”)
B. advertise (“this yoyo can do this… And it’s only $9.95!”)
C. Show off (“look what I can do with this cheap throw!”)

(Sentences are to help explain what I mean)

Man, you people need to know how to take a joke. This guy makes a simple joke and then he has to write an apology letter because you guys just jumped on him.

Jeez.

Okay then, people dont agree with me XD
And I quoted this to say, im not talking about pros, im talking about just normal yoyoers. I feel lke they deserve a better throw. Like I can get all my longest combo on my onestar, but it doesn’t give me much time to bind back…

That’s right.

The most expensive yoyo I have ever Payed for was a Dv888.

My higher end yoyos I get from trades.

Well think of it like this.
When you first start out, the difference between a super gapped super rim weighted expensive yoyo, and a super cheap, tight gapped yoyo, with no rim weight is far apart. We are talking huge gap, evil knievel him self couldn’t jump this gap on the fastest motorcycle on the planet.
Over time the better you get the tighter that gap gets. Next thing you know you stroll across that gap like its a crack in the side walk.
Do what you like. But if anything I think it makes more since that a new thrower will pick up a wide gapped throw and then work towards cheaper ones even though we all suggest the opposite. (including my self.)

I surf. when i see a total kook paddle out at my local break with an expensive board, wetsuit and every gimmick known to man kind Im glad someone supports the surf industry. I like watching contests, enjoy seeing sponsored surfers photos in magazines and have benefited from the technological advances in wetsuits wetsuit sponsors have made.

I should be paddling over to say THANK YOU.

I got it.

oh, so you mean you wish regular people who yoyo complicated combos could have high end yoyos, because they’re the ones that’ll use it. I sorta agree, but as much as I wish everyone had money to buy yoyos… It’s a cold reality that that’s not the case :cry:

Yup, thays what I mean. Or like when you see a kid with your dream yoyo, and its super beat up, while he’s learning sleeper…
Sadly, true story :-\

Um, so you’re saying that you are letting an $150 hunk of metal annoy you? Seeing as your fave throw is a Supernova, a high end yo-yo, that seems a little ignorant. You have your own metal throw, why can’t others have theirs? Skill level doesn’t matter.

i don’t think he’s trying to be ignorant about it. I’m sure his heart is in the right place. From my understanding, it’s a simple matter of him not liking that people can’t afford high end yoyos even though they “deserve it”. He may not be talking about himself either. I know some things that annoy me don’t directly effect my life, but I still don’t like seeing it.
And yes skill level doesn’t matter, but it’s the same deal with other things. People who get “high end” computers, but know nothing about them definitely won’t be able to use it to its full capacity. Same applies to yoyos. I think it honestly does help to start basic. Especially if you’re unsure if you’ll stick with something.

did you even read my post? How is that ignorant?
Well because im advanced part two, and the supernova is the only yoyo I have, and a onestar. I CAN get my longest combo on my onestar, but it is hard. On my supernova, I can get it much easier. I was just saying that I wish people who deserve great metals should get them, im not against plastic or anything, calm down guys :stuck_out_tongue:

A beat-up yoyo is one that is being put to use. If you spend $100+ on each yoyo in a vast collection, none of which have any dings, dents, pinpricks, or scratches… You’re just burning money on crap you don’t use. Take my word on it… This 99% of this stuff won’t appreciate in value. There’s no ‘intelligent’ reason to collect yoyos.

I make fun of those same motorcycle riders who spend $20,000+ on a top-of-the-line BMW or Ducati, then have less than 1,500 miles on their bikes three years later. It’s better to put the thing to use and enjoy it, than let it sit and collect dust. It’s only a waste when someone isn’t using it.

Then again, they have the loot to spend - It’s not really anyone else’s place to tell them how they can spend it.

I get what you mean, but I have to disagree… we just take good care if the yoyos, and we dont play them on concrete, we play them on carpet. Its not that we never play em! I was just making a joke kinda, how in my mind im yelling “NOOOOO DONT DO WALK YHE DOG ON THAT FLOOR!” ya know what I mean?

I collect for a few reasons. One being I love the art of anodizing. Second, I play them all, and each plays different. I trade or sell ones I tried and don’t like or ended up getting doubles of somehow.

Everyone gets into the hobby in different ways. It’s tough to judge, but easy to accept.

Fact remains: dings, dents, scratches, whatever - it means it’s being put to use. At the end of the day, a yoyo is just a toy. It wasn’t designed to sit in a collection and look pretty. It was designed to be played. People with limited resources tend to buy cheaper stuff and beat it up, or by more expensive stuff and they’re too timid to use it.

Who cares if it’s a $150 CLYW or a $20 Duncan? Either of them should be played, and being scuffed and abused is just part of playing with a toy.

You don’t need to justify your collection to anyone. If you like spending your money on yoyos, you’re more-than-likely in good company here with a lot of other enthusiasts. I’m just not a collector because I don’t see the point of it (personally). I don’t like owning anything that I don’t use regularly.

Well, I do see your point 100%. I probably won’t keep most of what I have. It’s more to try a bunch to see what I like most and use most, which is what I’ve narrowed down to about 12 as of now, all of which have some decent scuff marks or sentimental value. The rest will eventually be sold.

I’d argue that it’s meant to be enjoyed. Well, first I’d argue that it’s meant to be purchased, but that’s obvious and kind of beside the point. As for what the designer intends, I mean really, would n’t you as a designer just be happy that someone wanted to own your design for whatever reason? I have experienced this personally as a watchmaker. My watches were quite expensive because of the nature of handbuilding anything, so some buyers commissioned watches that were really not intended to be worn. They were collecting “art”. Did that bother me? Not a bit. I still built the same precise instrument I would have for anyone else. I was still thrilled that someone would enjoy what I built. For all I know they spent 20 minutes a day just admiring it. That’s about all I could ask for regardless of the watch’s supposed purpose.

I’d probably also argue that pretty much no yoyo above $100 is really only intended to be played. I think that market exists because collectors see those yoyos as something more than a toy. There’s just no other explanation when you take into account values being affected by rarity, the concept of limited and special edition colorways/metals, and just everything that really defines the high end market. It’s as much about the idea of the yoyo as it is the play of the yoyo, and that’s just fine. Titaniums are probably some of the best examples because, while often fine yoyos in their own right, are just so far beyond any semblance of practicality that the only possible explanation for their existence is just something to be adored for its own sake.