This is probably the next design trend

I’ve been looking at Turning Point with some interest over the past few weeks. I think they are getting in on the next new trend in yoyo design early - heavy yoyos. There are some serious design opportunities and performance benefits associated with heavy weight.

These two look stellar and are heavy - especially the kiwi.

Light may become less favoured over the next couple of years. We’ll see!

17 Likes

That’s kind of what YYR said with the new Valkyrie release last year. But the reception on them seemed pretty lukewarm and the releases following it haven’t followed their claim of heavy being the future.

I think a while back I also saw @yyfben2.deactivated say that they had been going in a heavier direction with the BiND(?) because the pro players liked it, but consumers were just too adverse to heavy designs so it didn’t sell.

That being said after having played a 79g Turning Point I’m convinced that they’re really good and the extra weight is absolutely worth it. I’d like to see more 70+g stuff, but it just really seems like it doesn’t sell that well ever.

7 Likes

Yeah, weight seems to be a big determining factor with most throwers when buying yoyo. People seem to feel like they’re throwing a rock if its any more than around 66g. We need to get over this to open up more design potential.

Interesting how the Turning Pont Kiwi is sold out though, and thay weighs 76g!

8 Likes

Breaking News:

SPINWORTHY RELEASES NEW THROW: THE BRICK!

(superman theme begins)

Slower than a speeding bullet, heavier than a locomotive! It’s an anchor, it’s a rock! It’s… it’s… it’s a Brick!

Nah… I don’t forsee that happening. But I do think there is a market for heavier throws. :rofl:

9 Likes

I like both to be honest . I used to hate light YoYos but I feel like light YoYos always kind of lead me somewhere I wasn’t expecting to go . If that makes sense . Heavy YoYos like the Valkyrie are nice because it really helps put my mind into a trance .

7 Likes

While I think some throws will gravitate toward a “higher weight percentage” there will always be a place (especially in my case) for lower weight yo-yos.

Owning the Collapsar, Kiwi, and MSG myself, they are fun and definitely fit some peoples play style, but I can see these sitting in a lot of folks cases also being unplayed.

That’s the beauty of yo-yos and design, we still haven’t found that perfect balance of a “one size fits all”

I will be anxious to see if this does become a trend and @Glenacius_K - called it. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I can dig a heavy throw but heavy throw + significant kickback gives me finger fatigue very quickly. So the gap & response design becomes extra important to me when things get heavy.

A little anecdote: YYR had the 79g DreadnoughtG which was what YYR head Kengo was personally throwing during contests (obviously he really liked it). But he lamented (saw it on social media somewhere, maybe Twitter, I forget) that people thought it was too heavy.

6 Likes

I think especially in a not competitive sense, there’s a lot of reasons to be adverse to them. The performance benefits are just unnecessary for most people’s tricksets. So the advantages of the heavyweights don’t outweigh the cons for a lot of casual throwers. If you just like trying new yoyos and playing lots of different things, developing a strong affinity towards heavyweights will probably just make you enjoy the rest of your collection less, and make finding new things a much rarer occurrence.

I’m not particularly good at yoyoing, but I can really feel the increased spin times. I like watching “one throw” style combos, where people will just do 60 seconds or more worth of tricks off one throw. I’ve enjoyed trying to put together my own extended combos, and I can just get through them so much easier and with so much more spin left on my Ordinal 1 (79g). Good players can do 60 second one throw combos with much more complex and taxing tricks on lightweight monometals though, so it’s ultimately more in what the individual player just prefers to play with still. So the heavyweights kind of feel like a crutch? But they’re a crutch that allow me to just do harder things with a yoyo, so I appreciate it a lot.

That being said I don’t think I’d really care to see not comp oriented stuff in this weight class, my preferred organic weight is still in 59-61g range just since they feel so much zippier and more fun to whip around. Regen combos on a 79g yoyo feel like you’re flailing around a mace instead of playing with a fun toy lol.

6 Likes

72g is a sweet spot for heavy yoyos

2 Likes

I foresee the future and in the future I foresee a new trend, that of heavy yoyos … I foresee names like Third Impact, Dreadnought G, E = mc2, Z-on, H5 … get ready for the new one that advances!

2 Likes

I’ve been throwing around the Civility today and it feels super heavy. Just checked the specs and it’s only 66g. I might have to put some rings into it to see what 70 feels like.

1 Like

It’s not the only time consumer demand and ‘performance’ have differed. Luckily there are brands looking to push it.

(We have some fat bois coming later this year)

11 Likes

The New responsive offstring yoyo direct from Spinworthy!

The 127 gram Pyramid yoyo. Carved from a solid block of Stonewood and torched Ironwood rims.

It has a string made from a strand of a weighted jump rope. And introducing a brand spanking New bearing lube called ‘Butter-Brickle.

It’s the New design trend fo sho…

Think of the perks: no more piano playing lessons. 10 percent off on 9 finger gloves. Use what a few of the Pros will be using even though you most likely will never compete in your life.

2 Likes

how would u describe the play of kiwi?

Everything old is new again.

9 Likes

I’m certainly on board with this trend. I’ve recently acquired a collapsar and it’s Monometal counterpart, the kiwi. Both have been my preferred yo-yos more often than not. The new tri metal ASTer looks really good, and I’m excited for it to come to the states🙌🏻

2 Likes

I personally have sold most of my heavy yo-yos… as someone with chronic neck pain the lighter the yo-yo the more the body thanks me after lol… I’d assume many others prefer the lighter load thus lighter yos sell better to an extent

2 Likes

how would you compare the play difference btwn kiwi and collapsar?

1 Like

I only have 1 heavy throw and it’s huge too.
It’s the Dread G by Rebellion which weighs 80g.
Really heavy but weirdly enough wasn’t uncomfortable, however, you cannot use it for very long since you’ll develop fatigue easier than with a lighter yoyo.

2 Likes