Heavy yoyos

Who enjoys heavier yoyos? 67 grams + is what I’m considering heavy.

I personally love yoyos in this area, but I see many yoyos going lighter and lighter.

3 Likes

Yep, the transition to lighter yo-yos is the current trend along with wider yo-yos. I’m down with the former, not so much the latter. For me personally, there is absolutely such a thing as too wide.
As far as heavier stuff, I can get into it sometimes. Just kinda depends on the design

2 Likes

I dispute that heavy (67g or slightly more) was ever a trend, though? That weight has always been an outlier has it not?

3 Likes

It might have been on the higher end of normal, but there was definitely a point at the beginning of the “modern” yoyo era where you’d see way more in that range. That was the natural first step to increasing spin times

5 Likes

Definitely not. Yoyos around 70g were pretty common in the late 90s, early 00s, and 66-69g was the ideal range until early 10s I would say, which is when “lighter is better” started becoming a thing

5 Likes

I’m a huge fan of heavy yoyos. I like to really feel the yoyo against the string :smirk_cat:

4 Likes

It sure was a trend. Check out many yoyos from around 2010-12.

4 Likes

I certainly do. The bear vs man round 2 is I believe 65 grams but I like the heavy feel of it

3 Likes

OG Bear vs. Man at about 68g.
Super fun and doesn’t feel that heavy.

2 Likes

I do. I have a Sengoku Masamaxx (like 91g) because it’s the champion of the heavyweights. Do any other heavyweight fans always pick the heavy weapon and armor in video games? Perhaps there’s a correlation.

4 Likes

I actually pick up the smallest, most lightweight and most maneuverable weapons in games for the most part, though I consider myself to play very versatile.

2 Likes

the node is good at 68g

3 Likes

Looking at the new Edge Ultimate prototypes it seems to be a heavy yoyo

Not only do I dislike the way heavy yo-yos feel and play, i have issues with both my wrists that heavier yo-yos strain much more than anything 65g or lower.

I also don’t see a need for heavier yo-yos now that with bimetals and 7068 manufacturers can produce yo-yos that are incredibly stable and powerful with less overall weight:

2 Likes

heavier yoyos = :muscle:

2 Likes

Whothee’s (@Cannon) Triple Point yoyo he released is 68g and an absolute dream to throw.

It’s a yoyo I will own until the grave.

Heavy yoyos can be really capable and not feel like a brick.

5 Likes

Thanks Glen! I feel like it moves much better than the weight would suggest as well. I like the feeling that the yoyo is there, but it doesnt overtake the whole feeling of how it plays (I hope that makes sense :joy: ).

All depends on the yoyo. Love the Fluchs, BvM, 2018 Sasquatch and probably some others that are in that 70ish gram range. Have played others that just didn’t feel right in that weight range.