Embracing Heavy Yoyos

I’ve always been a fan of floaty yoyos around the 63-65g mark. But recently alongside my push towards learning 5A, I have been progressively inching towards heavier and heavier yoyos. Now I’m at the point where my most used yoyos are the Japan Technology Ample POM (78g) and Turning Point Hades AL (80g).

While I admit I hated how they felt initially, after adjusting over a couple days, and now playing with them consistently for a month or so, I absolutely love it.

They just feel so much more controlled and deliberate in movement, which I find really satisfying and addictive. The more standard weight yoyos in comparision now feel really fast and sloppy. The performance benefits also cannot be understated, these yoyos are super powerful and stable despite being more rounded shapes.

I have noticed a bit of a trend towards heavier yoyos especially in the 5A scene, with Jihoo Lee and Sora Ishikawa’s signatures both sitting in the low 70g range. Offset’s new Limitless yoyos are also in the high 70s. I wonder if they’ll continue to get heavier, only time will tell.

I guess it’s a lesson in not judging stuff prematurely. Even though I hated these yoyos initially, after spending some time adjusting to the feel they are now the go-tos.

6 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve always leaned more towards heavier throws, so it’s funny because I often find ones that are described as lighter, and nimble, and floaty, just don’t tend to vibe with me as much. That being said, there are some that have certainly surprised me in the past as well! :slight_smile:

Bonus: No scale needed for this one :rofl:

2 Likes