Wide pom yoyo

Wanted something wide, here it is…

55 mm diameter

54 mm wide

I’m guessing around 64 grams (no scale at hand)

7 Likes

That looks awesome. I want to throw it.

I want to 5a it…

1000085628

4 Likes

My exact thoughts :weary_face: I need more 5a throws in my life :joy:

It looks a bit like an H Profile version of:

Japan Tech Ample.

Diameter
59.56 mm / 2.34 in
Width
60.65 mm / 2.39 in
Weight
65.9 g

It’s my go to 5a throw! Great work!

1 Like

It does! Might have to order one of those, looks great!

Might tweak it a bit, I’m guessing I can add some extra rim weight, forgot where I’ve put my scale though :sweat_smile:

Better pics:

4 Likes

That looks so good!! Can you share what you used to make it or any of your process?

Those specs were for the pc ample btw. Pom weight goes up to 72 or 73g I believe. Doesn’t feel too heavy though, feels great.

I’m making these on a cnc lathe at work. I cut the bearing seat and response groove on a manual lathe though… which is kind of stupid as those are actually the only things that stay the same on every yoyo I make. :thinking:

I’ll post a picture of the machines when I get there tomorrow. Gotta go work anyway …

My way of designing is just programming something in the machine immediately, It’s got a big touchscreen so previewing shapes is quite easy. I just make a first halve, put it on a scale and adjust and repeat. I’ll make a second halve when the estimated weight of all parts is in the 60 - 70 gr range. Then go from there.

I was actually aiming for a wider oxygene 3 look, hottest thing ever imo…

4 Likes

That would be rad!

Cool NAME too btw. Too much mud in the water, so to speak, on the clinical research that was done recently. Sad.. It definitely helped me out.

Too many look a likes too, give it a bad rep.

1 Like

Nice. Looks kinda like a POM Wilderness If there is one. :star_struck:

Absolutely love the wilderness, especially the metal-plastic ones. Those alu hubs with big plastic rims are just too nice. One of the best looking yoyos ever imo.

Workplace pictures:

6 Likes

Found my scale! It’s sitting at 64.5 grams right now (3rd revision, 1st one sat at 62).

Going to aim at 67gr. I’ve been reducing the inner rim (is there a word for that) diameter to add more rim weight. It’s quite good as it is but I’d love some more weight to it

1 Like

I have this Ample. Wonder what yours feels like.


1 Like

Wow, fat rims she got! Will probably play quite different.

I have the same POM Ample, and while I picked that version because I was curious about the weight, I find it kind of a chore to play with. I think that dropping from 78.3g to mid-high 60s would be an improvement.

Japan Technology released the POM Immersive shortly after the Ample, at 73.6g.

Edit: Here is the Immersive

Looked both up, they do have a polycarbonate version of both that weigh in the mid 60s.

That pom immersion at 78 grams… how is your finger holding up? :sweat_smile:

Might order a pc ample though, seems awesome

1 Like

The 78g Ample is great. Between the weight and the large diameter it has tons of power. It spins as long as a standard sized bimetal. Spin power (aka Moi) increases with the square of the radius, times weight.

Strangely enough, the incresed weight is hard to notice. I think there’s some sort of density illusion going on here with it for me. My brain expects bigger things to be heavier so its not staggeringly heavy like an undersized 78 or 80g yoyo would be. The c3 mico is 80g and is pretty small, it actually felt heavier than the 80g Hades. I think this is also the reason people say “the G2 100 gram is surprisingly playable”. Its almost as large as the UPDN Orange!

1 Like

I think you are right overall about the density illusion, but I definitely notice the weight on the breakaway.

1 Like

I picked this up just now at Virginia 2026 State yoyo contest. It’s a Freshly Dirty Pom model that weighs 114g! Specifically designed for Double Dragon style I was told but it’s great for 1a/3a/5a too if you ask me!


5 Likes