The YYF Dv888 vs. The Duncan Raptor

Yes, that seems to be the case. It doesn’t bother me too much anymore as I don’t use the caps at all because I simply hate those transparent lenses! hehe. Thx for the post!

When I bought my black w/ green splash Dv888 it costed more than it does now, but it was still totally worth it. I just wish the bearing it came with was a little better.

Hello, what was the price back then? Around $60??? I think black and green splash is pretty cool looking. I’ve not seen a Dv888 like that before. I’m not a huge fan of the Spec bearing. You could always upgrade to something else. there’s the Onedrop 10 ball or even the YYJ Speed which works really great. Or the difeo KK or the Terrapin dry play too!

Forgot to say, nice review! But the conclusion just is a nick in the eye for me. :wink:

Thanks Skeletonboy! You could always relieve that nick by getting a Dv888 and see for yourself hehe. I’m pretty sure you’d love it.

Played both extensively, the DV888 all day, everyday

pretty sure the raptor is also made in china

if you like it heavy, PGM axle + stacks fit on the DV888 (stacked mine)

in terms of pure spin time, I think the Code1 is my only throw that actually spins as long (if not a tad bit longer) than the DV

I always recommend a DV888 for a first metal, cheap, high performance, undersize (easier when you begin I think, makes it easier to do intricate stuff)

[quote=“hadoq,post:26,topic:28750”]
Played both extensively, the DV888 all day, everyday

pretty sure the raptor is also made in china

if you like it heavy, PGM axle + stacks fit on the DV888 (stacked mine)

in terms of pure spin time, I think the Code1 is my only throw that actually spins as long (if not a tad bit longer) than the DV

I always recommend a DV888 for a first metal, cheap, high performance, undersize (easier when you begin I think, makes it easier to do intricate stuff)
[/quote

Thanks for the commentary. I Love the Dv888. I’ve not tried to stack it though. Very interesting. Do you think you could post a pic of it??? Yes, the Raptor is made in China.

I’ll have to take pics of my DV888 at some point I’ll post em up, it’s one of my beaters tho (^^)/

well actually all duncan yoyo’s are made in either mexico or japan i think. they just process them in the us(ship).

I dig seeing a “Vs” review on two hot throws like this. Good job…

…but, I would have to disagree w/ the outcome. I have owned both the Dv888 and Raptor, and to be honest, I couldn’t stand the Dv888. The Raptor on the other hand, is one of my main throws, but this is just my opinion.

well, it’s only because I’ve heard so many kids want to know if it’s even possible to stack a dv888. so I think it’d be helpful. Perhaps under the modifications page.

I don’t know about the rest… but the Raptor’s definitely made in China.

Yea doing Vs reviews is kinda spicy and perhaps even controversial enough to give people a Stomach ache but it’s also an irresistible thing. hehe. Well, you posted your experience also and that’s what matters. Thanks and have a good one.

I’d like to see your stacked dv888! How does it play compare to stock or compared to other factory stacked throws such as the PGM?

I got a raptor for christmas and if you throw it at an angle you can do irg’s, just takes a bit of practice to keep it on your thumb nail without falling off but it is possible!

You have the Magic touch then. I tried it that way and it just flies off hehe.

thx for the post!

Actually just got both of these throws for christmas and like the Dv888 just a little bit better than the raptor.
Cool concept of comparing two yoyos

Okay, so this was a great comparison. it obviously reflects your findings. however, i disagree with you. i find the Raptor to be a much more fun thing to throw around. it has that awesome finish, plays stable (i feel it is more than the dv888, but that might just be me/ my play style) and has a unique little tiny vibe that i actually like. try throwing it with a center trac. I liked the dv888 at first, but i feel like it is almost boring. i mean, it is smooth, stable and decent on all speeds, but in throwing it i feel like it should be called the “A yoyo that mashes up many other yoyos and a popular shape to make something that plays awesome but also feels like every other yoyo.” this might just be me (i spent three months throwing almost only my dv888). dont get me wrong i love my yyf 888x, my yyf gfunk, my protostars, my northstar, and my friend’s yuuksta, but this is the one yoyo by them that i have thrown that i don’t say IWANTTHISSOBADNOWHOWMUCHISIT?
-this may just be my views, but i like the raptor a little better in this case.

PGM axle and hubstacks, works like a charm