The Yo-Yo You Put Off Buying

I have to say that when the Overdrive was released, the main reason I jumped at it, is because I collect YoyoExpert Editions. I was also anxious to try my first YoyoRecreation. But, I don’t care for oversized yo-yos either, so I was not as excited about the purchase as I might have been otherwise.

I have to tell you, that it is a great yo-yo. Mine was smooth and stable, and it has some weight to it too, definitely a joy to play. It did not feel as “chunky” in my hand as the Berserker. It is only a few milimeters larger in diameter than the H.O.T., and has the edges more rounded off, so it does not feel “as big” as one might think. I would not label it fast or slow. The only major complaints I can imagine someone having about it, has to do with it being “oversized.” The weight is dialed in just right, it plays smooth and stable, definitely a joy to play. It’s not “heavy” but definitely has some weight and a “presence” about it. I hope to buy a second one at some point.

I definitely recommend you get that yo-yo. I’m not sure why we have not seen more reviews, other than the fact that it is “what you would expect” from YoyoRecreation. No surprises, the usual quality in looks and performance.

For that reason, I delayed buying a second.

I have 2:

1. YoYoRecreation Sleipnir

2. Initial reluctance when they were out due to price, and then unavailability once they had been discontinued.

3. Bought SO many throws but for some reason I always put off getting a Sleipnir. It was #1 on my want list pretty much since I started throwing, but I never bought one. That was until this was brought to YoYoGeezers attention and he PMed me offering to sell me one of his! I am now the proud owner of a GORGEOUS Benson Fok Edition Sleipnir and it’s every bit as good as people said it was. =D

and #2

1. CLYW Cliff

2. I have no idea. I’ve bought tonnes of throws and again, I just keep putting off the Cliff despite how much I want it.

3. Haven’t got one yet. They’re in stock and I can afford one, but theres some invisible force staying my hand…

I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing this kind of thing.

Very interesting Gambit. I have to say that the Cliff was delayed for me for awhile too. I could afford it, but the price being “up there,” detered me a bit. Also, I’m usually not a fan of oversized throws. But, I must tell you that while that undercut design is not as comfy as others, the weight of that yo-yo is perfect for how it plays. And, it seems to spin forever. I’m glad I finally bought it. Definitely, you want to get a Cliff. I love mine, and did not expect to love it at all.

As always another treat from TA.

I’ve had a few of these throws, most of which I’ve now overcome - any kind of SPYY was rectified by buying Pistolero’s and a couple of El Ranchero’s, and picking up a G.E. was rectified on this second run. However, the one throw that exactly fulfills the conditions of this thread for me right now is and will continue to be the Format C:.

The primary reason that the Format C: will be exactly second on my wish list for a while is that at the moment there are several new and exciting throws, and I’m having OD issues. The issues are that for every acceptable reason I should really really like almost all OD throws, but I don’t. They are absolutely fine for me, good, solid, quality. But not dynamic and exciting. They’re very well machined, they’re smooth, they all have good spin times, they have good finishes, and they play ok. But I just don’t enjoy them very much. I’ve had this experience with the Code2, the Cascade, the 54 and the Cafe Racer. The only one that really clicked for me was the Code 1, which I still own, and I enjoyed the Burnside; but the others I was gutted by when they arrived and I’d thrown them around a few times. And that’s no way to feel about a new throw, you want to be excited and happy and all those other positive things, especially when they’ve been hyped as much as OD throws inevitably do. And so because I really want to like OD throws, and because on the whole I haven’t, I’m nervous about the Format C: being the next on the list of things that don’t click, but really only through some personal thing and not because there is anything wrong with it. And it looks so good (bit concerned by the low weight too).

So once you couple all of this together, the rave reviews are not enough to persuade me into picking one up immediately, especially with things like the imminent release of the Prestige, and the recent YYJk, YYR and Sturm Panzer releases that are battling for the true 1-spot on my wish list.

Before I quit my rambling, I want to add that there are also actually a series of throws that also fall into the thread’s main category for me. And that is any throw in and around the $80 range. For me throws in this price range seem dangerous. I am always a little concerned why they haven’t warranted a slightly higher price, or alternatively why they aren’t a little cheaper. At $30-$40 picking a throw up is often a no-brainer, and at >$120 you’re picking up a special exciting throw, often from a big company, and you know it’ll be awesome. At $80 or thereabouts, it’s taking up a purchase spot in my budget, preventing me from picking up a $120 throw, and so I always wonder whether I should have just added a few more bucks and picked up a different yoyo. Most neatly colored RecRev fall into this category for me, so I’ve tried to find a few on the BST. But I’ve never pulled the trigger on them new, because I could add a few bucks and pick up a CLYW or ILLY or X3. The ridiculous part is, that those RecRev throws are great. You lives and learns…

1 Like

^ Very nice post, with great points in it. I own a lot of One Drops, but I have also decided to skip, or at least delay, the Format C. I’m just at a point now, where there are a lot of other brands I have not tried.

I also think you raise an interesting point about the $85 throws. In the subconscious, you get this message that, while you are saving money instead of buying high end, you also could have something high end for just a bit more money.

I’m going to add Arctic Circle to whatever I said before. Reason is that I had no idea what I was missing. Really digging it

It is one of my favorite CLYW. I also delayed getting one. I delayed buying CLYW, in general, because it was talked about so often. I’m the type who always knows what is rumored to be great, but I don’t always buy into it right away. I started buying CLYW fairly recently. P I’m glad I gave them a try too. :wink:

Yoyofactory H.O.T. Could never pull the trigger on that one.

That is one great throw. If you haven’t tried Fellavader’s (I think he sold it), you’ll have to try mine. I love that thing…I throw it daily. It has sharp edges that make it awkward to snap start, but otherwise, it’s just…perfect. ;D Great throw!

Cliff

1. What yo-yo is it - YYJ H3X, YYF blue/purple w/ pink splash genesis, YYF ricochet.
  2. The reason for the delay - other thing came up ( Proton, supernova, chik 1 & 2, prestige 1 & 2, and a few more in the line up before I finally get it. )
  3. How long it took you to cross it off your list? - not yet maybe in a few months.

The throws that I’ve put off buying are all the most expensive ones. I’ve never spent more than $100 on a single throw. I’d love to get a Sturm Panzer anything, or even an Anglam, but I don’t see that happening.

Wow, the HEX is on my “to buy” list too. At first, it was a color issue, but then when my color came out, it was just bad timing for spending. I hope to cross that off the list by the end of the year.

i had a deal waiting on a og peak and i wanted to trade for it and all of the throws that were in this deal were ones e wanted but he backed out at the last minute.

i really want 1 of all my friends’ signature yo-yo’s.
so that’s like a brazillion dollars.

Oh the woes of having friends that have signature yo’s!