The same yo-yo in plastic, metal, and bimetal?

Gamma Crash, Atomic Crash, Mega Crash, Strelitzia are the same series

also iCEBERG and Steel
and HiDRA, TiRROX, TiSSOX, FiRROX, Air Dive.

7 Likes

I mentioned the Firrox / Hidra set up there but I didnā€™t know that the Air Dive was the same shape, that is pretty cool.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget the Day Dream also. It is larger than its counterparts, but still the same shape and series.

4 Likes

Recess Joyride and plastic Joyride (First Base)!

63.44g vs 65.72g without string.

Definitely same exact shape and size, though the fingerspin dimple is missing on the plastic.

7 Likes

There was a finger spin first base, it was purple.

4 Likes

Finally! 2018 Banshee in 7075 vs 2018 Banshee in 6061!

Measured without string as usual, of course ā€“ I would assume same ā€œboss rageā€ bearing and axle since theyā€™re both from the ineffable Jake Factory

6061 ā€“ 65.24g
7075 ā€“ 67.40g

ā€¦ by about 2 grams. Proven with the science! :man_scientist:

7 Likes

What I really love about 6061 is that itā€™s slightly less resistant to dings.

3 Likes

Why do you like that?

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I get that post either, but as an outsider, let me speculate. Here are some possibilities, of which one, or more, or less, may be true.

1. The lower cost of 6061 vs 7068 or 7075 more than makes up for the difference in hardness.

2. Maybe the O.P. feels that having a yoyo that can be more easily dinged keeps him/her more focused, so that he/she does not hit the ground with it.

3. Maybe the O.P. is a jackass.

3 Likes

You missed one

1. Maybe the O.P. likes throws with some ā€œbattle damageā€ so dings make it cooler, like jeans with rips and holes?
4 Likes

Compared with what? If you mean other aluminum alloys, then that is not true. 6061 is the softest alloy being used. 7075 and 7068 will resist dings much better.

3 Likes

What you are saying is what I said, but you donā€™t seem to think I said it.

2 Likes

I think OneDrop did this a few years back with the GZR (yoyogeezer; get it?) line . Their reason for doing this was largely to discredit the idea of different alloys being able to make different play-feel for a yo-yo. This was in response to me making inquiries about OneDrop potentially using a different alloy than 6061.

Way back then, (2011) I received my first Yoyorecreation yo-yo and immediately realized that it had far more performance than any yo-yo I had previously thrown. Why? It couldnā€™t be the design itself. Once I found out that Yoyorecreation used 7075; I wondered whether OneDrop could use 7075 to make their throws perform better.

OMG. You should see the abuse that I received.

Not only was I told how:

1. Stupid it was to even think about making yo-yoā€™s out of any alloy than 6061
  2. 7075 would not add any performance to a yo-yo design.
  3. I was super uncool for even bringing it up and arguing the merits; and I was banned from their site.

About a year later, OneDrop came out with the GZR line. This was OneDrop yo-yoā€™s made with 7075.

NEVER, did they apologize for the abuse that was heaped upon me by the likes of Chris Rhodes and all the other OneDrop fan-boyz for YEARS! NEVER, did I get a GZR yo-yo or any other acknowledgment that perhaps I might have had a point. All I got was abuse any time I posted anything about OneDrop. Since then, OneDrop has made numerous 7075 yo-yoā€™s. Again, never apologizing, or acknowledging that I might have had a point when I introduced the idea of using 7075.

Today, we ALL KNOW that different materials yield different feel and allow for different designs based on material characteristics. This is pretty much the exact opposite that I had been assured by the likes of the Machinist and OneDrop as they ridiculed my ideas about alternate materials over and over; on forums, in private messages and in online reviews.

Anyone wonder why I am not a OneDrop fan-boy? Now you know.

11 Likes

That sounds pretty messed up; especially if they did name the GZR line after your handle. Fight the Power :fist:strong text

1 Like

Wow so the GZR line is a veiled reference to you? No wonder youā€™re a little salty about the whole thing! Sheesh.

3 Likes

Wow, we literally had the same thought at the exact same timeā€¦ GET OUTTA MY HEAD!

2 Likes

Protostar, Northstar, Northstar Fingerspin, Shaqlerstar, Onestar, Popstar, Rockstar, Spinstar, Starlite, Starbrite, Bimetal Superstar (super creative name) Divault, Sage, I think itā€™s safe to say we have a winner.

2 Likes

Wait those are all exactly the same shape? I need to test the Parlay and Sudo (7075 Parlay) now that I have both of those too. Legendary vs. normal Terrarian could also apply, when that is released.

5 Likes

based around each other yeah.

My bimetal Superstars are not W shaped. The OneStar/ProtoStar/NorthStar/RockStar series are W though.

5 Likes