The oddity that was.... the Playmaxx Mongoose

The recent mention of Playmaxx’s old BPT (Brake Pad Technology) reminded me of one of the odder models that made use of this; the Mongoose. Ordinarily these would have been used with Henry’s Viper or Cobra shells but they were sold without so I thought - as I never have before - that I would try mine like that.

40mm OD, 26.7 grammes.

Unplayable !!! All but unwindable even. :tired_face:

The shells went straight back on. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

The cherry on top of all of that is that the logo is in comic sans :rofl:

12 Likes

Adding insult to injury.

3 Likes

It’s mildly amusing to think that the predator of the viper went extinct, and a modern viper just got released a few months ago lol.

4 Likes

Yeah… that’s the stuff. Much better.

8 Likes

Is that the Flux?

2 Likes

Viper Remix. Hironori Mii and SUS (They’ve worked on a lot of Japanese YYF yoyos. Bi-metal shutter, metavity, JDS shutter, etc.) licensed the Viper from Henry’s to produce it.

5 Likes

How many were made??

Sorry, I know this is a necro thread.

I don’t think it’s that amazing at all. Just my observation of Playmaxx, near the end all they were about was “String Measuring” contests with other brands.

And now that I made that reference, I think for me it also sums up how Ben interacted with us on the forum.

3 Likes

Last time I commented about playmax I got some pretty unpleasant interactions and kicked from a few corners of the community but agreed…

3 Likes

Not a clue. I cannot help with specifics.

What I do know is that I haven’t seen one with proper packaging, just a plastic bag and cheap printed card closure. Very much the look of little more than prototypes so I imagine the numbers would be small.

A rarity and an oddity. Neither of which make it “good”.

I think you misread my post, I said amusing, not amazing.

2 Likes

That’s so sad, it’s a damn toy at the end of the day weather you love the yo-yos or the brand as a whole we need to be a unit.

3 Likes

I harbor no hard feelings and still like the old products and couple of playmaxx items still in my collection.

There’s some personalities in the community that are a tad harder to get along with but that’s life we all engage at whatever levels are are comfortable with and move on if conversation isn’t fruitful

3 Likes

Yes, I really misread that.

Only change would be, that you find it slightly amusing, while I find it straight up hilarious.

2 Likes

I’m sorry that you went through any of that.

But I think along the lines, if we can talk about how it was a bad move for Duncan suing over the trademark Yo-Yo all those years ago. Then I believe we can talk about the dark times or dark place that Playmaxx was at near its end.

1 Like

When I think about the old days I don’t think about patent/trademark lawsuits, I think about being a young teenager chilling at the yoyo kiosk at the mall and the monthly-ish tournaments they’d run, I think about all the super cool limited edition yoyos that I could never get on Dave’s site because there was no way my parents were gonna put their credit card information on the internet, I remember how pumped everyone was when the Bee GT was announced and then released, I remember when team Proyo came to my town and I got a couple pogs signed, etc.

5 Likes

I’m willing to forgive troubled pasts as long as things are learned. Some don’t learn though

2 Likes