Where is Yomega?

They released their latest model in February of this year (Yomega Magnetar.). They haven’t released anything else lately.

2 Likes

I’m glad they are still releasing anything, ever heard of Super-Yo, YoYoYoJam, Spyy, Playmaxx… Great companies that are no longer around I thought Yomega was dead too.

Playmaxx is still kinda around in the form of YoYoFactory.

6 Likes

I wanted to get my hands on a Starstruck.

5 Likes

At FYE in the mall here they sell the Maverick, Fireball, and at times Alpha Wing. The Maverick is $24.99. Fireball is $14.99.

4 Likes

Actually Playmaxx lives on in the form of Duncan. The Duncan Proyo and Profly are rebranded Playmaxx. The FH2 was made from the TBB GT mold they acquired from Playmaxx, and they sold the TBB as the Dragon Fly.

On the other hand, Playmaxx was Tom Van Dan Elzen and his son Hans (YYF).

So yes, Playmaxx lives on in any event.

As far as Yomega goes, their market, somewhat like Duncan, does not totally rely on the dedicated yoyo enthusiast. They play more to the casual “Hey mom, I want a yoyo” type kid. Other than a few fitful starts they’ve never made a play for the serious yoyo player market. (Not saying they haven’t made some good yoyos)

6 Likes

I think Duncan is higher performance nowadays compared to Yomega. Pro yoyoers have won competitions with Duncan yoyos. I will say that part of your statement is true. You can buy a Butterfly, Butterfly XT, and Imperial at retailers.

2 Likes

Actually it’s all true… :wink:

5 Likes

We’ll see how I do when I use my new Duncan Skyhawk to win a contest. :wink:

5 Likes

Hope you do. Good luck to ya. :+1:

6 Likes

Yep, I was thinking Yo-Hans.:wink:

1 Like

Wait… yomega is still around? Looks like the Magnetar is indeed new, per their social media page around May.

I have a Glide and a Prodigy. I still say the Prodigy is wildly underrated, it’s machined by One Drop and real nice.

4 Likes

I like yomega, personally. They produce some excellent starter quality yoyos, just good fun toys

1 Like

i started on a yomega brain, just for the sole reason it had a clutch in it. other than that, i haven’t been very interested in their stuff. mostly beginner, and how many competitors have been filmed with a yomega? theyre mostly a intro brand, not a serious brand

4 Likes

Haha, I played one of these at the mall this weekend. An employee was walking around doing gravity pulls on the floor model. I tried it and it couldn’t sleep because the string was completely stuck between the bearing and the axle.

So I fixed it and put it through the rounds with its grimy string. Seemed like a nice beginner yo-yo for string tricks with an occasional loop thrown in.

By contrast, my AlleyCat 650b was in my pocket!

5 Likes

I didn’t think that the Magnetar would be a new release. With its appearance, it comes off to me like a 2000s model.

3 Likes

Sorry. I know this is doesn’t have to do with the topic but I wonder what happened to @ZaYoBoy. I find it strange how he just…vanished. He was an extremely active user. I hope he comes back. It’s just weird how active users disappear forever.

2 Likes

I messaged him a few weeks ago but got no reply. With most of us using aliases it’s difficult to search for people.

2 Likes