Henrys Viper Response?

What response does the Viper AXYS use? Mine is perfectly flat inside with NO response pads OR starbursts! How is this possible?

1 Like

I have several older Vipers. I got them used and they had some kind of cloth stickers. I can see if I can find my extras to see if I have more information about them so you can try to get some. Otherwise you might be able to use another kind of thin friction sticker. It would probably have to be a pretty thin set of pads, though. Since the Viper uses a rather narrow bearing, a rubber friction pad could be way too aggressive for it.

1 Like

Hmā€¦ maybe thatā€™s why mine has to be screwed so tight to be responsive

A lot of people used to use the Tom Kuhn linen disks (Turbo Disks) on them. Thatā€™s probably whatā€™re in yours, Yoyosampler.

A nice mod was to coat them with Super Glue. They would work well, and last a long time that way. those disks are so thin, they were a really good match for the Viper.

You can play them without a sticker, but like you said, the gap has to be small. Maybe try the thinnest pad you can find, and put it on one side only.

1 Like

Basically the viper had no response system. The friction stickers you see on some are mods performed by the owner.

I see they still sell them on amazon for $40+. Casts a new light on the current DV888 discussion.

3 Likes

Henrys yoyos are definitely an anachronism. I think they are all transaxle designs? Iā€™m not sure any of them use a ball bearing?

Thatā€™s a good point, @codinghorror. I donā€™t really know how they come stock. I have quite a few Vipers all with ball bearing axles but they also came with ceramic trans axles. Maybe the previous owner got a bunch of upgrades for them?

The response system on mine are undoubtably put there by the previous owner, then. Iā€™ve never owned one of these yoyos from being brand new, so I am not really familiar with the stock condition of them. Iā€™ll check to see if the discs I have are what youā€™re talking about when I get the chance just to make sure, but the name ā€œturbo disksā€ sounds familiar. They work very well. I havenā€™t felt the need to change them, but some of these Vipers also came with rubber friction pads. They didnā€™t even sleep because the pad was so aggressive, or the previous owner stuck a second bearing in there to try to compensate for the friction pads.

ā€¦If you look into the gap of this Stunt Snake(which uses Viper hubs) you can very clearly see not only a bearing but stacked bearings.

You do too much thinking. And not enough ā€˜knowingā€™.

Can you possibly research stuff before you start shooting in the dark?

Just pulling a trigger scores no pointsšŸ˜‰

You must be tremendous fun at parties! Just such a joy and a delight to interact with :wink:

As I said:

I think they are all transaxle designsā“

Hence ā€œthinkā€, and the question mark. The only Henrys I owned was a transaxle model, and it was not a good time.

I would say all Henrys are anachronisms at this point, relative to modern metal yo-yos. Except for the M1ā€¦ can you even buy that one anywhere?

1 Like

Amazingly accurate guess for a change. Indeed I have been told I am tremendous fun at parties.
Matter o fact; I know people that throw parties just so they have a legit reason to invite me over.
Thanks for the compliment.

This is what I would do to Viper hubs 20 years ago. Cut into them so the linen discs would sit almost flush mountā€¦

3 Likes

Yes they are outdated, but they are actually pretty nice to play with if you keep it old school/new old school. They are well designed, and nicely made, and they have a unique feel as they spin.

They were one one the first choices for 4a for obvious reasons, though you have a small target!

Still find it fun to mess around with every once in a while, and my kids have had fun with mine. The rubber is forgiving.

1 Like

AXYS is an interchangeable axle system that allowed wooden axle, plastic transaxle, and ball bearing versions to be swapped into the yoyo. The bearing version is called ā€œspeed explosionā€.

2 Likes

Yeah. My Viper came with a Speed Explosion

1 Like

Itā€™s been a while now, but my feeling was that most Henrys were bearings (or switched to bearings via AXYS).

I had an original Viper. Heck, it may even be around here somewhere still. And I remember putting TK cloth stickers on it for better response. I donā€™t recall it being a throw I loved even back in the day. I was far more of a Renegade guy. But I do remember thinking it was a cool and unique design.

For sure another one of those interesting yoyos as far as midschool yoyo history. Soft shell design, adjustable gap, popular for modders. Like many others weā€™ve talked about recently, itā€™s been far surpassed as far as performance. But to many of us, itā€™s still a cool throw just because of that history.

3 Likes

Yeah Henrys stuff always seemed like the answer to ā€œIf a Diabolo and Juggling company decided to make their own custom yo-yos, what would they look like?ā€

Although I see one of theirs has the rare starburst metal, I wouldnā€™t mind having an example of that in my collection.

1 Like

Thank you for showing me this. I saw your post of this picture in another forum but didnā€™t notice that. I see that wasnā€™t just one personā€™s idea then. I started to try to do this with slim C sized bearings, but quickly realized it might be really hard to undo it depending on how the bearing seat is constructed on whatever yoyo I tried it on. Have you found this to be effective? Iā€™ve had a hard time getting the stacked bearings to work.

By the way, @Myk_Myk, I confirmed that the response pads I have in my Vipers are indeed the TK Turbo disks.

3 Likes

Beefcaking (using two bearings) was popular back around 1999/2000. I feel like Doc Pop invented it (or claims to have).

2 Likes

I agreeā€¦ First Iā€™d ever seen beefcaking was Doc Popular

1 Like

Itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve tried it. I know I have a couple of beefcaked yo-yos around somewhereā€¦It definitely gives you a big gap! The thing I remember most is the hellacious kickback!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was more into other yo-yos. I wore the anodization off my SB2! But yeah, I also thought it spun really cool!

Check this out! Does anybody here remember the story behind this one?

3 Likes