The New 1A world Champ!

yea he definitely was representing Hungary …

I spoke to him earlier that day … and he is so appreciative, most of the pros are also very appreciative but some can come off as a D … some of them let the yoyo fame get to there head but its whatever.

I really enjoyed speaking to him … I left early last night … so i didnt get to actually see the announcement but Ben Conde quoted on FB that he said “There is no 1st place because we are all artists.”

anyways …

Worlds was amazing!!!

When I read this, I just had this question pop into my mind: Is “not getting a knot” a skill? I thought that the general standard was “mastery of the yoyo”.

Is tangling and un-tangling a string showing mastery of the yoyo; or mastery of the string?

I’d say if his performance was thought of as tangling and untangling of a string then he wouldn’t be the winner ;).

But I’d say of the yoyo for sure. The yoyo places the string in its position so don’t see how it could be viewed any other way.

I think he does have a little of the showmanship. Look at all of the full body stuff that was great.

Keep in mind that 1A is a string tricks division. If you’re looking for “mastery of the yoyo”, there’s a division called 2A that you might be interested in. 8)

That said, Janos was incredible, as were all of the other competitors. Anyone saying that 1A wasn’t up to par this year, didn’t see it in person.

Your Avatar high five

I absolutely HATE when players look at me and miss. Just hit your trick!

I was waiting for the day when Janos would hit Worlds stage. I’ve been following him for quite a while. Just after Budapest in 2011 I believe, when he was still rocking a raptor. He was my first friend at worlds. Walked up, introduced myself, sat down and watched 1a semi finals with him, too humble, he honestly thought he would have difficulty passing prelims/semi because of all the other great yoyoers. He’s been my favorite yoyoer for a while, I knew he’d take worlds. Whenever he practiced everyone around was captivated. True showman for those into true technical play. Couldn’t be happier with the results, he deserved that recognition more than anyone there imo.

I’d say the likeliest sign of this would be a flood of players attempting to develop more technical tricks in imitation of Janos. I’m sure it will start soon haha.

I’d say you’re right - not getting a knot isn’t particularly skillful or challenging, and neither is tangling and untangling a string showing mastery of a yoyo. Luckily for Janos his yoyoing is far more than “playing with the string.”

I don’t understand why you feel the need to disparage his style and reduce it sarcastically by describing it as “avoiding knots in new, breathlessly exciting and novel ways.” The fact that you’re under the impression that he threw the same tricks over and over and that the yoyo never moved is enough evidence that you couldn’t appreciate the intricacy or difficulty of his tricks.

Judging by the crowd’s reaction, it is entertaining. Judging by the comments on his videos and the multiple replies in this thread and elsewhere, yes, it is entertaining.

Evidently you’re unable to appreciate his style but to mock it in the way that you have is downright disrespectful to someone like Janos who worked so hard to perform it. I don’t know how old you are, but judging by your name you’re probably a geezer who really needs to get his eyes checked.

2 Likes

Finally! My all time favorite yoyoer won worlds! Too bad Chris Makita didn’t make it to finals…

Is it true that Janos is 18? I know it’s kind of a strange question, but I guess I just kind of always thought he was… older. :smiley:

Yes, he is 18, even in person he looks older.

Also, what always impress me when I see Janos IRL is his HUGE hands. :slight_smile:

Janos is only 18?! He looks like he’s on his mid 20s who yoyoed around the same time Paul Escolar and the old school greats have been around.
Thug.

I just realized that that means Chuck is older than him…

Didn’t see that coming.

That’s what I thought! He looks about the same age a Jensen.

How old is Charles?

Everyone says that he is like, in his 20’s?

I have doubts… His voice is higher than mine still, and I’m 15

Chicks profile on the CLYW site stated that he was 19 when it was written, so 20 seems feasible. I must admit that I thought he was like 16…

Same. I thought he was 16 or 17 for the longest time. As far as I know, he’s still 19 and not in his 20’s yet. Either way, still older than I ever thought.

1 Like

I do not think I mocked anyone. My observations are to the point and are my opinion. Expressing that opinion is not mocking or showing disrespect; it is simply exercising my right to an express it.

I think that the point I am making is summed up by:

“The fact that you’re under the impression that he threw the same tricks over and over and that the yoyo never moved is enough evidence that you couldn’t appreciate the intricacy or difficulty of his tricks.”

That is my point. If it is so hard to make out the “intricacy”; then maybe the trick is not as amazing as assumed by those performing. Some of the most impressive tricks to the layman - are simple Eli-Hops for you and me. Sometimes an artist can become so enraptured by his work, he forgets to look at it objectively as the art-form it is.

I think Janos has some of the most creative, beautiful tricks in the game.