The must-haves

I’d say the G2 Banshee. Tbh I’m not exactly sure why it’s so popular and has sustained popularity. It’s a great player but it’s not anything groundbreaking.

It is the flagship of one of the most hyped up companies in recent years though so I guess there’s that.

@HVizier have you tried a Sleipnir or any other YYRs? I’d say almost every YYR ever made still stacks up to today’s most popular models. That’s just how good they were.

6 Likes

I was one of the first few TiVayder orders, can’t wait for them to start shipping out.

1 Like

Definitely!

There was a point when I had the biggest YYR collection in the US until I sold nearly all of it to DMZ and he went absolutely crazy with it lol.

The Stargazer v2 and Sleipnir are the firsts of what is now the YYR formula. I’d without a doubt credit them with the “competitive” V shape being so popular.

5 Likes

This is how I’m interpreting the OP’s post, as well. What are the throws to own to understand the current meta/trends etc. because they were just so influential. Alternatively, what throws have come to exemplify a really influential company.

Off the top of my head, I’d say:
YYF OG Shutter & OG Edge
G2 Banshee
OD Top Deck, MMC, & Cabal
A-RT Grail
YYR OG Draupnir

4 Likes

Hatrick should be a must have.

1 Like

I kinda think that a modern responsive can be a ‘must have’…
One Drop Deep State
Rain City Skills Gamer
Core Co Alleycat 650b
Doc Pop’s Weekender
YoYoFactory Confusion/Confusion GT

Someone may have already suggested this…I haven’t made it through all the replies yet.

7 Likes

Cadence.

This thread is all over the place lol :crazy_face:

2 Likes

That’s why I was trying to specify stuff like the Hitman or Genesis. Not what people personally enjoy but what stood out by community consensus. Not every yo-yo that’s popular and highly regarded is Hitman level popular and highly regarded.
I don’t care if it’s the greatest yo-yo someone’s ever used unless a majority of people feel that way.

2 Likes

You see, the thing is, this is where the community gets clicky. I don’t think it’s easily possible to get a straight answer to your question, because there is so much bias. Some people are die-hard G2, others are die-hard a-rt, while others are die-hard yoyo Factory, one drop etc.

There hasn’t been a ton of innovation in design in the past 10 years or so, and the ones then have been Innovative are kind of gimmicky (Like the nine dragons).

Most of the “all stars” are just built around manufactured hype and scarcity.

6 Likes

I think you might be over thinking things?
I mean…it’s not like we’re trying to make a definitive absolute list here. Or are we?

And I think there’s some “safe bets” like the Banshee and Markmont Classic and what not…where sure, not 100% of everyone will agree with…but the mass majority will.

I think part of the problem, too, might be age/availability. Aside from older YYF models that pop up during A-May-Zing, a lot of us newer throwers aren’t ever going to get our hands on a Hitman or OG Genesis (apparently there’s an OGer version older than the 2013 model) or whatever older throw was super consequential.

I agree that, when posed with this type of question, a fair few people will just shout out their current favorites or newest “honeymoon” acquisitions. But I also think it’s just a sign of what’s been available to try/buy during their yoyo career.

1 Like

I’d have to go

Draupnir
VTWO
Akita
Top Deck
Terrarian
Shutter
Grasshopper GTX
Cadence
Bliss
Statement
Hummingbird
Banshee
Life
Grail
Markmont Classic

I’m sure I’ll think or more, but these are community favorites for sure.

9 Likes

I have a slight love affair with your mom, yoyofreaks your mom that is. I also have to be honest id rather play my warthog over my banshee any day. In terms of popularity I know these arent the prom king and queens of the market but I feel they are solid representations.

3 Likes

Personally the banshee was not impressive when I tried it. I was still fairly new when i played it, but still, other yoyos were blowing my mind. I just didn’t get the same feeling I got throwing my float or kuntosh for the first time.

1 Like

Banshees can feel a bit quirky initially. Took me a bit to warm up to it.

2 Likes

Tom Kuhn No Jive
Yomega Raider
Playmaxx Cold Fusion
SuperYo Renegade
Duncan Freehand (prob also a Butterfly, honestly)
Buzz-On Element X
YoYoJam Dark Magic
Dif-e-Yo Cross Bones
hspin G&E2
Oxygene Oxy IV
Anti-Yo Bapezilla
CLYW Chief
Yoyofactory 888 (also some Loop 2020’s for 2a)
SPYY Addiction
One Drop Kuntosh
Crucial Milk (because delrin)
General-Yo Hat Trick
Yoyorecreation Draupnir
C3 Token (honestly it’s nice to have an undersized)
Something Anglam
Recess First Base (maybe a pair for 3a?)
G2 Wolf
CoreCo AlleyCat 650b
TMBR Sullivan (would say eH, but… biased)
Hildy Bros Currier
Luftverk Evora
Japan Tech Aire
SF Statement
Unprld Flash

I feel like that would be a pretty rad collection AND a cool walk through recent yoyo history.

8 Likes

I dont have a single one of those, lol

I’m thinking that I have to get a No Jive at some point just to see the hype, and I’ve always felt like the Dark Magic was one of the coolest looking yoyos ever.

What about the Krown? I’ve never played one but that seems to basically be C3’s Shutter (or Edge given all the variations on it).