Looking for a new feel yoyo

Hi all, looking for a new throw to try out. I really like how different yo-yos can have very different feelings on the string and I’d like this one to be something that feels as different as possible from the ones in my collection so far.
I currently own a Recognition, MMC, Silenus, and Variant. Right now I’m most considering the ti-vayder, Kuntosh 5kQV, and iceberg. Appreciate any comments on those or any other suggestions, thank you!

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum. It’s worth the time to check out One Drop Fat Tire and Rain City Skills Convoy. See if the looks and specs do it for ya.

2 Likes

All of the throws you listed seem pretty well liked by the folks here, especially the ti-vayder. Might I suggest the Rain City Skills Author? It is a super light, zippy yoyo that is totally unique and fun.

5 Likes

If you want some that feels a lot different, I would recommend a bimetal. The extreme rim weight that some of them offers is pretty unique to bimetal design, and in my opinion, they feel substantially different.

4 Likes

That’s an awesome starting collection! Might I also recommend:

OG Shutter - the legend itself! Design that’s been slightly updated over the years to stay relevant while still retaining that signature feel that’s been popular since 2013.

OD Downbeat - an organic like the MMC but a chonky boi. Kinda heavy done right IMO.

A no-frills bimetal - not saying go track down a Draupnir but IMO a bimetal is gonna feel super different and add some nice diversity to your collection. Good news is that you can get a good one these days for under $100. Grasshopper GTX, for example, is a solid choice.

OD Top Deck - another legendary throw that’s remained popular over the years. Really nice bell shape that’s super comfy in the hands while not being overly rim weighted. Really unique feel.

2018 Banshee - light, zippy V-shaped powerhouse. If I was asked what throw I most heavily associate with G2, it’d be the Banshee line, and the 2018 Banshee is the flagship model IMO. Ti-Banshee is also phenomenal and IMO the magnum opus of that line if you can find one and don’t mind dropping $300.

7 Likes

All three are excellent choices. In terms of being “different” from what you have, I’d say the Kuntosh is the obvious choice of the three. However, the Ti-Vayder is a complete no-brainer if you want to try a medium-sized titanium at an unbeatable price (for a titanium throw).

I agree with @nonja121 that the Grasshopper GTX is absolutely ideal for a first bi-metal.

6 Likes

i picked up an Iceberg a few week ago. definitely a different feel than the others being a plastic with rim weights. it plays great. finger spins are a breeze with that finger cup/dimple. i like the way it plays and would recommend it.

kgb

1 Like

The 'berg

9 Likes

Can’t help but think of yellow snow when I see that.:sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I can only speak to the Kuntosh 5kQV outta that bunch but I can vouch for it. Love mine and it’s definitely distinctive.

1 Like

i hadn’t thought of that but now, thanks to you, I will from now on… :rofl:

kgb

5 Likes

Ooops sorry. :no_mouth::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

The Kuntosh is a really powerful feeling yo which is awesome…it feels a bit too big and clunky in my hand though…which is TOTALLY subjective of course.

It’s a hard yo to beat though! It’s very high performing and I’m sure you’d love it. Plus it’d feel very different from the rest of your (nice!) collection!

3 Likes

A lot of great suggestions here. I have to say that the Ti-Vayder is a very unique experience. It is so satisfying to do pops with and it is really fun to do kwijibo with. It has just the right amount of power and stability and a great feel in the hand. It uses the weight distribution of a titanium very well but it doesn’t take it to the extreme, instead it has a pleasant amount of mid weight to give it a unique feel as it soars through the air. – If you are interested in it, I would recommend getting one because it is a titanium at a truly unbeatable price.

1 Like

Another vote for the 5000qv. It’s a joy to play and feels very unique. I also love knowing that the OG Kuntosh was designed by Anti-Yo. I still need to try an OG :frowning: :worried:

3 Likes

I agree, the 5000qv is a really good throw. It has a unique weight distribution and really takes the capabilities of 7075 Al to the edge. The 5000qv was my first high end yoyo and I was in love with it for so long. I have now shifted to liking yoyos that have some midweight to them, but I definitely still enjoy throwing it around from time to time. Will definitely keep it in my collection.

1 Like

Kuntosh feels very unique. It’s a powerful beast of a throw, imho. If you want power and different, you can’t go wrong. Oddly enough, I prefer to play with my Fat Tire over my Kuntosh, although I haven’t nailed down precisely why that is. The Fat Tire is sort of like a less serious version of the throw; it plays more casual. That being said, I love the TiVayder. I can’t say it will play as far from different from what you have as the Kuntosh or even Iceberg, but I can say out of my few hundred yoyo collection, and having all mentioned thus far in this thread, it is the one I reach for over and over and over again. It’s my daily carry, it’s the one I will leave out on the table and not bother putting it away, because I simply got tired of always having to take it out because it is the one I love the throw, and often. Another throw you might consider is the Yoyobros Voyage. I picked one up a couple months ago and absolutely love it. It is super light and airy, does everything I need and want it to do, including finger spins, and it does it well. Although it is yet another bimetal V, it feels so different than my others, prolly because it is so incredibly light in comparison. At $84 bucks, it doesn’t break the bank either. You don’t mention the level you are playing at, so that might be another consideration I would take into account in my recommendation. Let us know what your final decision is. It’s always interesting to see how others feel in comparison once they get that new throw. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

4 Likes