The Moebius 101: Sunset 1-6-13

The Moebius Bible By Zammy

1)Definitions/Terminlogy used in Moebius-

Moebius:

Moebius is a style of yoyo tricks where you use the slipknot to benefit in doing string tricks and no handed type of manuevers. Moebius requires technical aspects as well as the use of mastering both hand dominance so that the user can have the effect of using either hand between moebius based tricks. There also comes the quality of doing no handed types of tricks where you release it and neither hand is touching it. Moebius by itself has a completely different “feel” when throwing it, where although there is no present flow, it still exist but in a different manner. Most fellow yoyoers that have never seen alternative styles of throwing often reference as if you are doing 5a, when this is not true. You are not using a counterweight, you are using the slipknot.

Hand dominance:

This term applies to what hand do you use to throw. This applies to moebius because the secrets behind it is that there is tricks where in mid combo or trick you shift your hand dominance from lefty to righty causing the illusion that you are using boths hands while playing.

No handed tricks:

This is a general/base term to apply for all tricks to where you are releasing the slipknot/yoyo away from either hand and it either whips, slacks, or suicide in the air and it returns back to your fingers and or hand, catching it into the slipknot loop. This tends to cover Invisi-Whips, Moebicides and
Open-Ended Flytraps

Inivis-Whip:

A base term that applies to specific moebius based whips when you release it causing it to go into the middle of the air and “whip” while in movement without ever touching the string. This is easily identifiable via how the trick is shown. Most invisis whips are done in a more Up and down/vertical motion

Moebicide:

A base term that applies to specific moebius based suicides where you release the loop of string from a swing similar to the manner of a 1a suicide, however you fully release it from your grasp and thus allow it to fly through the air without it being attached to your hand. Most Moebicides are identifiable via the motion of going from left to right type of motioning.

Flytrap:

Flytrap is a name given to a type of trickstyle which combines the concept of the slipknot loop (moebius) with the swinging effect of slippery eel (5a without a counterweight). The concept of the trickstyle is to do one part swing of slippery eel and one part catching of the slipknot loop back to your finger. These types of tricks are very difficult to accomplish due to the control of string tension but present quite a presentation.

Doctor Popular himself said that Flytraps are the pinnacle and master level for Moebius based play.

No-Handed Flytraps:

This type of specifc flytrap is an extention of regular Flytraps where similar to other no handed tricks, you release the slipknot off your finger as well as the regular loop of string so that it is one part regular 1a with a suicide loop, and one part Moebius with the slipknot loop. You catch these loops back to your fingers, one in the slipknot, and one in the regular loop. Extremely difficult, risk but worth showing off.

Infinitums:

Infinitums are a type of trickstyle in moebius where it repeats itself while switching between hand dominance. So if you do one type of motion while your using your right hand, the trick will then switch and it will be on your left hand, and you can do this for as infinite as possible, ergo the name “infinitums”.

Quick Release System:

The quick release system was a technqiue that was created by Docotor Popular in order to make moebius more sustainable and easier to get in and out of. The system basically makes to use two fingers or more wrapped around then merely one ordinary finger. With more then one finger, opening the slipknot loop will be reletively easy to mount and do tricks from there.

The R and L Hold:

The R and L hold technique is the next level off of the quick release system created by both Alex Berenguel and Doctor Popular. It is basically a way of dictating what type of tricks you will be able to do by putting the slipknot on specific fingers and knowing which side the knot part of the slipknot will be.

For R hold, the slipknot is worn on your index and middle finger, and the knot part being on the right side of your middle finger. When you open the slipknot up more with your thumb, the slipknot loop will be pointed towards you.

For the L hold, the slipknot is work on your ring and middle finger. The knot part of the slipknot will be on the left side of your middle finger. When you open it up with the use of your thumb, the slipknot as a whole will be pointing away from you.

The Main purpose for this is for the player to try and obtain the feel of moebius and understand the two styles of play so they can switch off the styles while still in motion and play. Once you understand where the knot of the slipknot is, you will understand what tricks you can do in a instant. You build up a sort of fore-sight for the style.

2)Substyles of Moebius.

Moebius is something that is a rarity in the yoyo world. It is misunderstood, unappreciated and still experimental in this day and age of yoyoing. This is why of course most people do not seem to understand it at all because there is no base of information, no sense at all with it. With that said, moebius has been able to be achieved in almost all the main styles of throwing. Here they are with each a dubbed named and little explanation.

1a- Moebius: The style that started it all, doing tricks with the use of the slipknot. It combines nearly all forms of main division style of yoyoing to create a completely different type of style. Often people will make reference how it has a different type of feel when playing it.

2a- Dualbius: There has been no documentation of using the slipknot loop while doing 2a, but if someone ever could use it to do a sort of looping effect, this would be called dualbius. Due to the nature of moebius, there isn’t any looping like tricks for the style.

3a- Triobuis: This style of moebius doubles the effect of regular 1a moebius due to the use of not just one yoyo in the slipknot loop, but another yoyo and slipknot for the other hand. 3a Moebius, also known as “Triobius” is a difficult style to manage. You can use either slipknot loop or you can use both at the same time to create interesting tricks.

4a- Offbius: One half of the “moebius” for Offstring. This is the recongizable version where able to open the slipknot and pop out the string Your able to mount the yoyo in a tech 4a fashion and other things. When you put it in the slipknot it reprents basically as a Gt, but in 4a fashion.

5a- Astrobius: Astrobius is where you use the slipknot loop while there is a counterweight within the loop. You can either wear the loop around your fingers while grasping the counterweight or just hold the counterweight like your doing 5a and opening it up then. This style is of the most difficult to achieve any form of tricks that is designated just for that because it is two positives equal a negative. Both forms of styles demand freedom and they clash and unfortunately cannot produce enough original contest due to being limited.

Sumo (Super Moebius): The other half of “moebius” for Offstring. This is a style where you tie the yoyo string together so it forms a full loop. With that, you do do similar forms of 4a but done with this full loop. It relates to moebius, because with 1a’s version your able to do tricks in full loop form. In some ways this would be the other half of Offbius due to the manner it keeps it full loop form.

3) Set-ups For Moebius

Most people understand out there that Moebius is a substyle of play. With that said, there is no clear definition for what kind of set up you specifically need when it comes to the style. So consider these tips as merely personal preference but please do read them and gain a thorough understanding.

Two of the most important factors for Moebius is the the gap of the actual yoyo itself and the response type. These two things are vital for you to even begin considering trying Moebius. For years people have had issues trying to even attempt this style because of how yoyos have been made. Back in the early days when it was first starting, yoyos had such small gaps and response systems like pad and starbursts made the yoyo bind and basically hurt people. This is because of the knot part of the slipknot loop binding up inside the gap due to either the response or the gap. Between 2000-and 2003, yoyos simply had either: Small bearings, Pad recess, Star-burst recess and Oring response. Now modern yoyos have a fairly big gap due to the use of C-size bearing, Tthe type of response being of silicone groove pad, or pad recess allowing for the slipknot to go into the groove and not bind up.

However, just because the equipment has changed so that it can be better, doesn’t mean that you still need skill. Back in the day, apart of the style was to try and do tricks while avoiding the knot part but now we do not have to worry about that.

Another third factor for your set-up but not as important is the choice of string you use for playing Moebius. This is a bit on the minor side but still proves to be a factor that one should consider. Due to the constant drag and opening of the slipknot, it causes a great deal of stress on the fingers. While people can use 50/50 slick 6, it is highly not recommended to use it. There is a plethora of string now that you use can use. Some tips for the choice of string is to consider: the “gliding” of the string as you open the loop, the smoothness of the string, and the sustainablity of the loop remaining in tension. So be sure to understand that.

The last possible set up and highly based on preference alone is the shape of the yoyo. I’ve played the style constantly for several years to understand a basis that orangic shaped yoyos like the bapezilla, Mayhem and others simply have the advantage for the style. You need to have a yoyo that is clearly meant for both 1a and 5a. This is due to the fact the style demands for a lighter feel when doing no-handed tricks, but have enough spin time to complete said types of tricks. You would also need it so the gap/middle part of the area centers the string so it directs it so the knot part of the slipknot loop goes through it smoothly with no difficulty. I’ve noticed that technical moebius tricks, like 1a tricks, can be difficult when using a throw that has flaired rims like the protostart. Of course, anything with that can be purely based on my skill set, so again just be aware this is preference and not based of fact.

4) The Understanding of Mirroring

When I was first beginning Moebius, someone by the name of Alex Berenguel told me a very simple rule regarding it; the R and L hold. Having been told this technique many years ago has taught me some very valuable leassons about that I believe ordinary yoyoers out there need to understand.

Alex told me that the R and L holds are meant to dictate what kind of tricks you could do because he believed you could only do certain tricks in certain holds. This is not true however as I have learned over the years. The thing is, with the R and L holds, the best way to explain it is that they are like a quarter. You got a heads or tails on the same quarter. They are literally one and the same. This is why I call this concept known as “mirroring”.

At the same time however, things are very different at some point which is hard to explain. This is why Moebius by itself is really difficult to teach people because there is in fact two different yet same styles of play!

The thing about the mirroring concept is how even though it is the same to do one trick in one style, some tricks can be a little bit more difficult in the other. For example, the trick known as “Barren Tower” is a famous trick by Alex to which he always did in L-hold. He had always thought it could not be done in the other hold but after much experimentation, I found out one can in fact do it in the other hold. So in other words, certain tricks can be done in the same style.

However, of course there is tricks that can be done to one and not in the other.

11 Likes

Moe-baby

This is the very first trick when it comes to Moebius for anyone out there to learn that wants to begin and get started for this neat unknown style in the yoyo world. Essentially this is a rock the baby variant with the slipknot loop open. It helps to teach how to open it and get used to holding it so later on when you get better you have a firm grip.

This is but one of many beginner tricks I will be sharing on here and soon Yoyoexpert will have these tutorials in the official Learn section.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for you to do this. I’ve been interested in moebius for a couple of months now but I never really got much into it past the L and R holds. Hopefully I should have a reason to keep at it now. :slight_smile:

I look forward to seeing more!

1 Like

A trick that was made in near around 2000 comes back 12 years later to haunt you. This was another one of those oldschool tricks from back in the day.

This was one of the very first Moebius tricks that re-popularized Moebius during those olden days when everyone was using spinfaktors and Vipers. This trick was created by the great Doctor Popular and thus now being taught by you guys.

A must learn for anyone wanting to get introduced to this style.

This is incredible.

I am starting Moebius and I’m loving it.

You inspire me Zammy!

I am excited for when these get in the learn section.

Shweet! Thanks zammy, been looking to get into moebius, so thanks again! (i know i say that a lot…lol, but this time, I’m serious.) My best yoyo for this at the moment is my spyy spyder and Dif-e-yo Wide Load…might buy a Cafe Racer soon, or a used Project soon.

Thank you for making this. It cleared up many things.

Moebius 101 presents: Pedal

Pedal was a trick I was long trying to figure out because I remember back in the day in the early 2000’s people were trying to do Mach 5 variations in moebius format. Trying to achieve that, I created this.

Pedal literally looks like as if you are pedaling on a bicycle. The yoyo looks as if it floats in the middle as you hold on to the loop on booth sides doing revolutions around it “pedaling” it. Very fun trick and another frontstyle one to get used to opening the slipknot loop.

~Z

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback about things. Moebius is infact a lot of fun and I am trying my best to spread it out and fill in the gaps of anyone that does not understand. I am hoping this all helps you.

Interesting style…

Since One Drop finally made SE’s similar to Hubstacks, or so I heard and saw, I was wondering…Could you do some vids integrating Matador (not sure if right name, couldn’t remember) style with moebius? I tried it with my 4XL, and I got some things done…but I’m lost for Inspiration now…lol

I was thinking of Suicide Style things, where you catch the yo-yo by the stacks in midair.

Hey guys, wanted to apologize for not being able to do tutorials for moebius.

Yoyoexpert and I have been in talks about having these specific tutorials sponsored and thus under the learn section and its been a talk back and forth between Andre and I to get this going.

We hope sometime soon to get these up and running for people to learn!

~Z

Official news, back in July I had said that Andre and I were making official business with this project and it has finally happened! Yoyoexpert has now sponsored my project and thus that means that these tutorials for will be features on the Learn section of Yoyoexpert! I will still be posting these on the forums in case people need help.

This tutorial focuses on a beginner mount: Moudini. This is basically the houdini mount but done in moebius format. It feels different compared to its 1a counterpart and thus is a must learn for people to grasp and understand.

One big step for this project is happening!

~Z

That’s awesome, zammy. Good job, and good luck with more tricks.

1 Like

Todays tutorial breaks down two different types of mounts that have the same type of appearance but are meant for two different types of tricks.

The “Slocket” mount is one where the yoyo goes through the slipknot via popping the yoyo into it so you can mount fast on to the hold. Then “Sliplack” is a slack version which makes the same kind of formation, but because the loops are bigger it is meant more for slack type tricks.

These two mounts are one of many “building block” type tricks that are essential for anyone that is beginning Moebius. If you do not learn these, you will not get any where with the style. So keep your eyes glued to the screen and your ears listening.

Second tutorial to make up for last week. This is “Moe-boe Rolls” which is basically Moebius Barrel rolls but there is added difficulty to this due to the knot part in the slipknot possibly catching. So you need to have better control over the yoyo and the loop in general.

~Z

Moebius 101 presents: The Pail

This tutorial breaks down the simple trick known as “Pail” which is a Moebius bucket type of trick. This is done in a frontstyle format and really can improve upon your technical skills with the style. It also can lead on to variations and other type of tricks too.

Fun trick and worth learning! Get on it!

~Z

New tutorial: Heart Whip.

Todays trick is Heart whip, a double handed whip type trick that lands back into a heart. Really neat and resembles that of 4a players out there that do double handed open whip type catches.

Definitely worth learning!

1 Like

I like it! Definitely a 4A inspired trick, which I like. Thanks for the tut, Zammy!

Moebius 101 presents: Sunset

Hey guys, been a minute since I last did a tutorial. Real sorry but again things just get crazy busy. It was December and of course that is the holidays time. I’m sure a lot of you know what that means.

So this is a trick known as “Sunset” which is basically the polar opposite of what the trick “Horizon” is. Its basically a type of dropping slack that you re-catch back to your fingers like how a suicide is done. In the end, it can be repeated to a neat repeater. Fun little trick to learn and useful to learn control with Moebius.

Hope yall had a great New Years! Here is to 2013!

~Z