The Key is Consistency

I totally relate to this

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve been told it’s confrontational, “shamey”, and most everything else under the sun.

But plain weird is a new one.

Yeah, and people have gone in great detail to explain why they are calling it all those things. Compared to that, “weird” is probably the easiest to understand.

1 Like

My man @Upmanyu liked that one before I could even read it :joy:

He’s got a quick draw finger against me haha.

But look, if you see the amount of criticism and argumentation that’s taken place on this thread, I fail to see the purpose of piling more on.

If you’re wanting to add more to the discussion, that’s great :+1:
But it sounds like you just wanted to express your displeasure. And that’s cool. Noted.

I’ll give you props, you did it in a much more civil way than others, like the user mentioned earlier in this comment.

But if that’s all you wanted to do, I’ll leave it here for now.

1 Like

What in your opinion is the “underlying message” that you are calling weird?

In my opinion the post is saying exactly what it is saying.

Basically to me, this post is saying that if you make time to play yoyo every day, even for a short period of time, you will unavoidably become better at it, and thus, you will be able to appreciate the yoyos you have in a better way, and this will make you happier in yoyoing.

All of this sounds fantastic, because mostly it is, but what ticks people off is the fact that the assumption that the amount of pleasure and satisfaction derived from yoyo is directly proportional to the skill you have is being made. Thats what i find weird.

You really can’t tell, guess or dicatate what will make people enjoy yoyo more, because who knows what yoyo related thing will make people generate their own dopamine about it. For some, just merely staring at their yoyos and owning them is enough.

I provide one final point. I have a beginner friend in this community who suffers from a medical condition that limits their overall mobility, in a way that they will probably never will be able to reach a skill level in yoyo that will allow them to do extremely skillful and stressing tricks, and yet still, they enjoy every second of yoyoing, from getting yoyos to just “doing kwijibo” on them, even if they probably will never be able to infinitely up their skill if they wanted to.

10 Likes

It was a good point to be sure! Well said, and thanks for adding it.

I wish your friend all the best, and hope they enjoy Kwyjibo to the max.

That’s awesome they’re still making it happen.

3 Likes

There are inifinite answers to the question “Why do you like yoyoing?” and every single one of them is just as valid as the last.

5 Likes

I’m a player, not a collector, I only own few yoyos. I take pleasure by learning and teaching tricks and by watching and making yoyo videos.
I agree with the “consistency” part of the topic, I leave at 7:30 in the morning, come back at 18:30 I have a girl, a house, two cats to look after and I find at least half an hour every day to practice and one or two hours a week to film videos. However I’m sure that when babies will come, the yoyo time will drastically decrease.
That said I believe that there is not a marked line between being collectors and players, some people are happy when they learn a new super techy trick, some other when they get a new rare titanium yoyo to expose, some other are happy to get a new titanium yoyo to throw AND to expose, and that’s super cool!.

I guess I’m with you on this point. I wouldn’t call it weird, but as you said, the pleasure is something so much personal that one cannot just think to have an equation for that.

1 Like

the yoyo itself parallels the spectrum of the yoyo community…. from a simple farmer whittling a throw out of a piece of wood and then throwing a string on it, to a precision manufactured cnc machined vibeless unicorn. the farmer may have put it in his pocket, gave it to his grandson - or just thrown it in a pile of other whittled crap at the end of the day. it is no less a yoyo, and he is no less a yoyoer. neither are the unicorns or their riders…. i sometimes find i get better after i’ve had some time off.

hope you all
have a good day

6 Likes

At the end of the day: who cares?! You need to do what you have (or want) to do man!

Enjoy life and yoyoing the way you want :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Period.

4 Likes

Yes! I have been waiting for this comment. I was hesitant to even take part in this thread because both sides seem like typical internet nonsense, however, I think everyone needs to just calm down. I like to yoyo because it is something that few people know about and can do. It is DIFFERENT. This thread seems like what you would find in other social media sites, and it does not seem like what yoyoing should be about. Yoyoing can be about just playing, and only having one or two yoyos. Yoyoing can also be having thousands of yoyos but only knowing basic tricks. Yoyoing can be anywhere in between those two points. Furthermore (and contradicting my previous point), I do not think yoyoing can be debating what yoyoing actually is. Yoyoing is all about being able to do something unique, so if someone else is doing yoyo in a different way then you, you should not get upset with them and start a debate, if anything you should applaud them.

2 Likes

Kwyjibo is such a great trick, never gets old. Wait, did I miss the point of this thread?

5 Likes

I do not know who @EOS44 is referring to but FWIW if it’s me, that’s kinda why I left the community for a short period. I straight up said “I QUIT” because I have a few back issues and got some other recent news from a CT. Back issues probably from the military and getting shot at in Afghanistan ducking for cover while carrying 100+ lbs on my back. I would pray to get shot at sometimes just to lighten the load…

The CT results is probably from my own doing… idk.

Either way i decided to get back into the hobby because even if I can only stand on my feet for a few minutes at a time to fidget with the yoyo, it still gives me satisfaction.

( will emphasize. I’m 30. I use a freaking cane.)

8 Likes

Please dont take this the wrong way but learning doctors should realize what works for one person wont work for everyone

4 Likes

Noted.

But I firmly believe that improving oneself through work is something that pretty darn near universally good.

And given that everyone on these forums is already into yoyos, it seems that improving their skills in that area would be a rewarding experience, if it were tried, which is the whole point of this thread (for better for worse). To get people to at least see what that’s like.

But yeah, I can see where your coming from. I wouldn’t go up to random people on the street and encourage them to practice YoYo more :smile:

But great point man! Thanks :+1:

5 Likes

I understand. And this here is great. Sometimes those things that require improvement is ones mental health and achieved through alternate routes.

Like what someone said above about doing just kwyjibo on his titaniums lol. Yea man. Sometimes thats all I do… than I sleep. If I over exhaust myself I tend to snap.

I just wanted to give some personal insight to my own situation while omitting some details.

But there are still going to be people who are going to buy yoyos even if it’s just for desk displays.

5 Likes

I really appreciate your input to this topic. Thank you very much.

I also want to thank you for your service. My older brother is enlisting next summer, and sometimes it keeps me up at night. If you’re willing of course, sometime I’d like to talk to you about your general overall experience, and maybe how your folks back at home fared.

I also want to send over some mad respect for still making the yoyo tricks happen.

4 Likes

Dude, you gotta stop being so condescending with your replies or else whatever you’re trying to say isn’t going to come across well at all

You can’t force your ideals onto people like that and just expect them to want to do it because you said so, that’s not how the world works
In fact, you’ve probably made more people not want to do what you’re saying in the original post because you’re acting as if the way they’re enjoying yo-yo is wrong, and that the way you’re doing it is the only true way to enjoy yo-yo. Some people might not want to do what you’re doing, and that’s fine. Some people might not even be able to do what you’re doing as well, and that’s also fine.

You can bring a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink.

I agree with the consistency part of the post but everything else you have been saying is a huge miss man.

6 Likes

So, judging by the intensity of this comment, I don’t think there much of a point in us discussing this topic itself. We’re just going to disagree (hopefully respectfully). Let’s leave it at that.

However, I would like to respond to one part of this comment. I set out with the intention of replying to all comments as respectfully as possible, once I saw how controversial this topic had become.
Respectful discussion is met with the same on my end. The few direct attacks have been diverted as peacefully as I could. In fact, most productive comments are responded with a written “thank you” and often a like, even if they are expressing a view directly opposite my own.

Trust me, I certainly know that there are MANY fair criticisms of this thread, but I do not think the one that you brought up is one of them.

But thank you for reminding me, I shall continue to watch my responses as closely as possible, and try to keep peace.

Have a great day! Go enjoy your yoyos however you see fit at this time :smiley:

3 Likes