How to improve at yoyo (and anything else in life)

Disclaimer: If you’re content with your skill level and like how you currently interact with yoyos, this post is not for you. This post is explicitly directed towards people who want to improve, but feel stuck and unsure how to progress. If you don’t fall into that camp, you can ignore this entire post. Although even if you’re content with where you are at yoyo, the methods in this post don’t just apply to yoyo, almost any skill you want to learn in life will benefit from these simple things that are relatively easy to overlook.

I’m still relatively new to the hobby. I’ve only been playing for a bit over two years at this point, yet a recurring theme I see from a lot of people who have been playing for longer than me is “I’ve hit a wall, I don’t know how to improve.” Meanwhile I feel like I’m improving at yoyo every single day and I’m only going to keep getting better given more time.

There’s an assumption that anybody who improves quickly must be talented, gifted, a fast learner, or has zero other responsibilities and an unlimited amount of time to play during the day. That’s simply not true and discredits the people who’ve put in time, and people with better methods or mindsets for improving.

I play yoyo for maybe an hour a day, oftentimes less, but rarely over an hour unless I’m really in the zone and trying to learn/create/land a trick. I don’t spend an excessive amount of time playing yoyo. I have so many other hobbies, interests, commitments, and other things in my life that I balance out my yoyo time with.

Lots of people will make excuses of “I don’t have enough time in the day to do X” or “After a long day of work/family/etc. I’m drained and don’t have the energy to do X.” Many many years ago one of my friends called me out on this while I was going through a deep phase of depression. I said that I wanted to do things, but simply lacked the time/energy to do so. Their response was that it annoyed them when people said they “wanted” to do things but didn’t follow through. When people would make excuses for not being able to do things that they were capable of. If you really want to do something you will make time and save energy for it. That it’s one thing to like the idea of doing something, and another to truly want to do it.

And I think that’s really the core of it. If you really want to improve, and don’t merely like the idea of improving, you need to start making time for yoyo. If there’s time where you’re just sitting down watching TV or passively engaging in an activity you don’t care much about, try replacing that with some yoyo time. It really doesn’t have to be much time at all. If you truly want to improve at yoyo, you can find even just 15-30 minutes in your day to play. You need to find a balance in your life where you can open up the time for things you really want to do. It’s not that you have no time, it’s that you aren’t making time.

Although just playing every day isn’t quite enough. This leads to the second tenant of improvement which is intent. It’s not enough to just pick up a yoyo each day and say “I’m playing.” You need to be able to answer the question of “Why am I playing?”

That question might sound deep, but really the answer can be as simple as “I want to do this trick a little bit smoother.” That’s it. There just needs to be an intent to why you’re playing, in a way that leads to progression. You don’t always need to be learning to improve. You just need to have some kind of goal or intent with your play, in a way where you can identify why that short yoyo session was beneficial to you.

Don’t play while simply thinking “yoyo will be fun and relaxing”. Even if you’re primarily playing for fun and to relax, if you add in the intent of “doing these repeated motions while focusing on doing them well will lead to me having a greater sense of comfort and control while playing in the future” you will start to see improvement.

In summary, to improve:

Balance time investments in your daily life, so you can make time for yoyo. If you aren’t willing to make time to do something, as a generalized statement, it can be assumed that you really don’t want to do it that much. Make time for yoyo and be consistent with it.

Spend your time with intent. You don’t always have to be learning to improve, you merely need to know why you’re playing, and how this can be beneficial to you in the long run.

And as one final note: never adopt a defeatist mindset. If you took a decade+ hiatus from playing yoyo, don’t worry about what you could’ve accomplished if you never quit. Don’t care about your lack of ability to do something now. Instead play with the mindset of, “I can’t do this yet, but in time if I stay consistent with this I will be able to do this eventually.”

Sometimes you can really want to do something, but society and social media can make this seemingly simple advice seem real muddy. In a culture of quick dopamine hits from low effort consumption of entertainment and social media, it can genuinely be hard to apply this methodology in practice. Everything I’ve said in this post might sounds very matter-of-fact, and easy to apply. But almost anybody who has attempted to learn a difficult new skill (and let’s be honest, yoyo is a very difficult skill) quickly realizes the mental fortitude needed to really put these methods into practice. If you’re not good at something immediately, the current culture almost encourages you to quit and get your dopamine from somewhere else. But the feeling of personal satisfaction that comes from learning new skills is unrivaled. When you master new skills and can start simply doing more things with the tools and knowledge you build up from improving, there’s no greater feeling. Whether you apply the methods in this post to yoyo, drawing, music, athletics, just anything else in your life, hopefully keeping some of this in mind will help you persevere with improving and help you meet your goals.

37 Likes

I think you’re spot on the dopamine and social media distractions that can hinder from yoyo learning. The time I’m not yoyoing, I’m constantly on yoyo forums, documenting tricks I might like, and buying new yoyos. However, it can be daunting trying to retain tricks, learn new ones, and even know what to work on!

For my yoyo journey (also going on two years), I recently bought a journal to write down my tricks and jot down personal notes or combo ideas down. For instance, today I learned Kobe grind by Paul Kerbel. I noticed that if I dismount from the GT, my TH thumb is already set up for a houdini mount, so I can potentially combo it with a gondola ending.

All in all, I think muscle memory is most important in letting tricks sink in. I actually improved upon an old trick, Haddock, after trying to analyze every angle or potential new step of the trick and didn’t like the ending for it. So I created my own original ending and documented it. I also think the element of discovery is very important for engaging our minds and increasing motivation. Finding a connection between mounts and tricks is also important. Great post. Here’s my channel YOYODrama91 - YouTube

7 Likes

Yknow what you’re right. I am booting up my synthesizers on my next day off. Thanks Mable.

5 Likes

This is an amazing post Mable, if I can throw my 2 cents as you said this post is valid for everything in life.

What I can say is that all you write in here is basically what I have been taught in the classical music world.

Time is not an excuse (but is also true that more time available can help), 15 minutes of mindful practice worth more of 2 hours of messing around without a goal, you do not need to write any journal or similar, just fix it in your mind and then follow it, you know your progress and sometimes all those little diaries and similar are mostly gimmicks.

Practice slow to move fast, let your brain memorise all the passages and in our case the trick, then leave it for the next day, slowly muscle memory will build all the trick perfectly and smooth it out.

While you work at your craft think about it as “your sacred time”, do not use the phone, do not partner disturb you and similar, it is your me time and you have to enjoy it, while I yoyo (and before play guitar), I used to turn off the wifi from my phone and leave it in the other room, for 4 hours I do not exist anymore basically, social media can for sure wait, as Mable said this is not easy to apply but is doable.

Take days out, sometimes you feel like not yoyoing, more than force yourself take the day out or try later in the day.
I remember sometimes do not wanting to play guitar cause I was tired, leave it, maybe go out, meet a friend have a coffee and then pick the guitar later in the day, this help so much to keep enjoy the instrument and noticed also in those “half days” of practice to progress a lot as I approach the craft with an empty and fresh view.

Take a day of the week off, during the weekend maybe, keep cultivate your social life with friends and partner, never forget about them, I did the mistake to lose so many friends cause my obsession toward my diploma, I regret that a lot, instead include people in what you love as much as you can.

This is so important, I talk again with my guitar experience, I knew so many people getting discouraged by “I wish I started when I was 12 probably I was a monster now”, well this isn’t happened and your moment is now, concertist are not only 10 years old, you find people all age, study and do not think about the time you lost but think about the amazing time you will have.
Same with yoyo, there are amazing players at every age, start is the first step to become great!

11 Likes

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time to plant a tree is today. This is my mantra when I get stuck in that kind of thinking. Time doesn’t come back, and getting stuck in the regrets and mistakes of the past doesn’t help with that. Onward and upwards friends!

11 Likes

Amen to this, also sometimes is ridiculous that I see people saying “I am 30 can I start to learn guitar or is too late?”
Literally bro, you not gonna die tomorrow hopefully, you have more or less other 50 years to live, I think you will be able to learn guitar by then :rofl:

5 Likes

I appreciate this post so much. I think intent is the main thing with improving. In music, I always feels more motivated and get more satisfaction when I’m actually working on a project of some kind, especially when collaborating with other people. With yoyo, it’s the same. I feel like you will naturally improve if you have some external motivation like if you have a cool idea for a video or you start going to meets and want to work on tricks together or you’re participating in a forum thread or whatever it may be.

I mess around a lot and it’s good to have reminders that if i want to really get better I have to put in the effort. Thanks, @mable !

6 Likes

Thank you, Mable! Great read and great advice.

3 Likes

I feel I understated intent a little bit, because it is the more important factor. While you can’t improve if you’re not making the time to do something at all, if you’re just doing without intent, you’re basically running on a hamster wheel. You may be doing quite a bit, but you’re only running in place if you have no goal or intent to work towards. You can’t just have one though, so they kinda go hand in hand.

Regardless I’m really glad some people are relating to this post, or finding it to be a helpful bit of motivation/advice. Hearing somebody say pretty much the same stuff to me changed how I learn and do almost anything in my life.

9 Likes

as someone who has a fair bit of time to practice but struggles to improve by the amounts i’m looking for, the intent element of the post is hugely helpful, and thank you for it! i’ve been trying to practice the act of practicing for a while now and this is a really succinct way of phrasing what I think i’ve been missing with it ^.^

5 Likes

Couple of stray thoughts — this is 1/2 thinking about yoyo, 1/2 thinking about rock climbing:

1. One of the reasons people plateau is because that’s where the combination of their natural inclination/understanding of the thing + “just doing it” runs out. For a decent while you really can improve a skill by just doing it more. It might not be as fast as someone who’s intentional about it, but you can improve really quickly early on just by doing. This is true across a lot of sports and hobbies.
  2. It’s totally okay to have your answer for why you’re playing be, “I just want to relax/pass time,” but if that’s the only reason you pick up a yoyo, you will plateau. Similarly, it’s totally fine not to improve for a while if that’s where you’re at. Just consider whether you’re at a place where you’re playing to keep your current skill/have fun or if you’re trying specifically to improve.
  3. It might be embarrassing, but filming yourself and watching it back is one of the best ways to improve. There’s a bunch that goes into it, but among the benefits: it practically forces you to get intentional about what you’re doing and it lets you evaluate your movements better than you can while throwing. You can ask, “why do I look different from the video?” and really drill into it.
  4. Sometimes it’s hard to know how to improve by yourself/gauge what the right “next level” is for yourself. The cheap answer is to just try things and see, especially stuff that is, in fact, too hard for you. Often, seeing/being exposed to/trying something too difficult helps you understand better what you don’t know how to do. That’s actually really valuable.

Personally, this all comes together for me in the TAW thread and it’s basically been the best thing for improving my throwing (thanks everyone there for my many questions, especially @mable). It gives me a goal every week (sometimes the exact trick, sometimes it’s an associated one), encourages me to film myself, and usually shows me something that is at the edge of my comfort level. So, if you’re hoping to improve and don’t feel like you know how… hop on over there and try it for a month. See what happens.

9 Likes

Agree with this. Sometimes you get to a point and your content for a while. Few of us if any will win nats or worlds so just enjoy it as the hobby it is.

3 Likes