How to get consistant with your tricks?

Does it truly just come down to practice? And by practice…does that mean just repeating it over and over and over?
Obviously it helps if you’re not doing so mindlessly…but rather focusing and thinking about what you’re doing, and trying to figure out what you’re doing wrong.

I’ve been working on rewind. It’s one of my favorites…it just looks so cool to me and it’s so simple.
Sometimes I’m pretty consistent at it and it feels natural to me. Other times it can be very frustrating and take me quite a few attempts to finally pull it off cleanly.
This and a few other tricks are something I work on almost everytime I pick up a yo (I usually practice 3 or 4 times a day…for about an hour in total).

I feel like the answer to this question is obvious and me asking it is going to annoy people and make them roll their eyes at me haha.
Practice, practice, practice.

Any thoughts?

7 Likes

Practice.

8 Likes

Can’t I just throw some money at it and instantly get better?
I wonder if my doc has a pill for that.
Can I figure it out by reading about it in a book?

:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Practice. But not necessarily on one trick. If you’ve practiced one specific trick a lot and it seems like your consistency hasn’t improved much, learn other tricks.

By doing this your overall skill level goes up. When your overall skill level goes up, it naturally makes tricks you knew before easier

9 Likes

That makes a ton of sense! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you learn new tricks you have to get used to new uncomfortable movements again so that’ll improve your overall control of the yoyo more than if you just keep repeating one trick that you’re already pretty comfortable with

4 Likes

That’s awesome :slight_smile: Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely continue pushing on to new things. Your comments have given me a lot of hope and they really do make a ton of sense!

1 Like

^ this is truth. The other thing is that if you burn out on a trick, you’re not gonna make progress and not going to have fun. So it definitely helps to mix things up.

Another thing that helps me is to find different tutorials on the same trick. Sometimes Dylan or T from Tokyo-Yo will explain something in a way that’ll give me a new perspective or understanding I didn’t get just from watching Andre and Adam’s tutorials.

Repetition and practice is ultimately the key though, IMO. Not just in terms of building muscle memory and getting more practiced with movements, sometimes something will just click as you try the trick over and over. This happened for me with both Pop N’ Fresh and Kwyjibo. With both, you have to be really cognizant of how you’re moving your hands when you do your pops (which is above and which is below, angle, etc). But sometimes tutorials don’t really go into that much details on that. I found that especially true with Kwyjibo’s second pop. But through experimentation and repetition and watching tutorial videos over and over, I slowly discovered what I was supposed to do and how it was supposed to feel, which allowed me to get more consistent with them.

6 Likes

Practice right before going to bed and practice first thing after getting up, that way your brain/muscles will figure it out while you are sleeping, it sounds weird, but if you look at Janos Karancz’s youtube channel, you will see that he some videos entitled “morning” and that means that he does this too.

12 Likes

Dambbb I do this, I often dream about a trick I’m having difficulty figuring out and spring up in the morning to try again

4 Likes

lol I had a dream 2 days ago that I got a spin top and landed a boomerang immediately after opening (I’ve never touched one before). Was all excited about it so was going to come brag about it here on these forums haha xP. But first I decided to do it again, landed it…then was tossing it from hand to hand…then I wrapped the string around the tip and landed a damn near perfect wire walker.
I don’t even want to get into spin tops atm! lol p

6 Likes

I just grind through but watch closely what I am doing and discovering what works, what doesn’t… Especially with Beefhook, been grinding away at that the past 2 weeks to see what works, what isn’t. I think I may have found that sweet spot with the string release and momentum.

6 Likes

It’s important to pay attention to what you’re missing if you are messing up the same part of the trick often. Working on recovery from parts like that is super important, I value it a lot.

7 Likes

Always good to get tips from the pros! This is good too so you don’t just keep doing the same wrong motions. If you know where you’re messing up, you can figure out why, and what to try differently.

2 Likes

Practice. But practice effectively. If you have a goal, practice in order to achieve that goal.

2 Likes

Practice and vary the practice you do and most of all enjoy it.
Lastly your question is not annoying as i also feel the same sometimes, its all about managing your expectations.

1 Like

To go along with this, if you’re working on something fast & tricky, record yourself in slowmo (or have someone help record you to get the right angle) and then you can analyze the footage and discover what’s actually going on. I did this to successfully discover that all three weird mounts I was landing in for a rejection tower trick were caused by the same thing, the slack not being large enough. So, I could focus on that rather than other things I had suspected.

2 Likes

I am new to yoyoing(two months) but I can do some slacks and intermediate-advanced tricks. I think when you have figured out the entire trick, it is just doing and doing it. What I do is learn a few tricks at once so I dont get bored. Hope it helps! As someone said I also record me in slow mo to see what is wrong, and if the trick looks smooth from a third person view.

3 Likes

I always find practice is important, but, people often say “practice makes perfect”, when, in actuality, perfect practice makes perfect. If you keep practicing the trick and getting it wrong, you are building the wrong muscle memory. Like others have said, be in the moment when you are practicing. Also, if something isn’t working, post a video and ask (or, if you are fortunate to have access to others who throw) ask them for help. I was figuratively smacking my head against the wall with Schmidt Twist, showed my son what I was doing, and, he was all “here is where you are messing up”

3 Likes

That’s what I think is the most important. First get what you have to do, then practice and smooth it out.

3 Likes