The guitar player's thread

If you guys want to discover some crazy alternate tunings, I’d invite you to start learning some songs from some New Wave of Acoustic Guitar artists. To give a brief example, Don Ross is one of my favorite artists, if not my absolute favorite, and I know several of his songs. One song called Klimbim is renowned for its nightmare of a tuning – BF#C#F#BF#. So you have the low E string tuned all the way down to B while the high E string is tuned up a whole step to F#. Another song of his called Rockbarra is CGEbFGBb, so the top four strings actually make up a portion of a pentatonic scale. I could go on and on spouting off alternate tunings of different songs I know, but the point is especially in an acoustic guitar medium, alternate tunings make for some seriously amazing possibilities – especially with harmonics.

My current love is my Taylor 816ceLTD. Sitka spruce top, cocobolo back and sides, curly maple binding, Grand Symphony (sort of like a mini jumbo) body style. It’s an absolutely gorgeous guitar in looks, play, and sound, and I’m seriously lucky to have snatched it up for only $2,860. I’m seeing Don Ross in June and I plan on having him autograph it on the back of the headstock.

I haven’t really touched my electric guitars in a couple years now, but my main axe is my Ibanez RGT42DXFM. Beautiful satin finish, flame maple top, a deep purple that one could easily mistake for black depending on the lighting, self-installed DiMarzio Evolution pickups, neck-through body construction, and best of all, autographed by Joe Satriani on the back of the headstock. 'Twas a glorious day. My only other electric at the moment is my Gibson Gothic Explorer with self-installed EMGs (Zakk Wylde set, if I recall correctly an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck).

Seriously though, if anyone is interested in picking up some great quality acoustics for cheap, see my BST thread. At this time, prices are negotiable, so feel free to offer if you’re interested.

I can play a C major, a G major, and an e minor. that means that I am officially a 3 chord guitarist. where’s my record deal??

Learn some power chords and you can be up there with Billy Joe Armstrong!

Learn Sweeps, Economic Sweep picking, Alternate Sweep Picking, Killswitch techniques, and how to slap a Les Paul, and you can be up there with Buckethead, Yngwie J. Malmsteen, and Dying Fetus!!!

Guess I need to get better at a ma sweeps!

I have been in love with guitars my whole life…7 yrs old and up.
I try to play some every day. Im an old mteal head.
I like my 87’ charvel model 6, Gibson LP std, and ESP horizon.

So, Motley Crue, Slaughter, Helloween, Twisted Sister, that kind of stuff? Or maybe more obscure stuff, like Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Accept? lol. I’m a mixed cookie, bits of everything rock and metal in me.

^^^
My favorites are Michael Schenker, Randy Rhoads, Maiden, Vivian Campbell.
I am real lucky to have Alex Lee from Holygrail on my team. He is a shreader, and gives me lessons a couple times a monthin this last year. I try to practice every day now.

Alex Lee is a total BA. I love the band too. Any metal head thrower is on my cools list automatically. That and he’s pretty funny in the vids. You are lucky to have him, as you said.

i play bass…

freshwater or saltwater?

freshwater… please.

Bump, I just got a ton of new gear. Couple o pedals, an amp and a cabinet.

To list everything:
Guitars:
Epi Les Paul Standard Tobacco burst
Red HSS Frankenstrat with mirror pickguard and BUTTONS
Purple Tele

Pedals:
T-Rex Tonebug Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Ibanez FL-9 Flanger (Original, not reissue)
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop Cry Baby
Live Wire Amp channel switcher

Amps and Stuff:
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 (Wow)
Custom build 112 Cabinet With Eminence Governor 16
Line 6 Spider III
Some cheapo starter amp
Like 10 cables of assorted length and make

pics

I sadly haven’t gotten anything. And the tragedy came to day. My beloved takamine g125 broke its first string. So sad. Now I have to wait for it to be restrung cause ain’t nobody got time fo dat. Luckily I still have my others.

try it! its so easy and quick i did 3 guitars in 1 hour

Next time I restring my Les Paul, I get to replace a nut, level and recrown frets and am choosing to replace the pickups. Oh the joys of using one guitar almost exclusively for 3 years.

I’d put up pics, but my phone is being stupid, and my current PC doesn’t have an SD slot.

What pickups are you going with??

GFS Fat Pats. I’ve got to conserve money for building a scratch build and (Hopefully) a replica of this:

Besides, why would I put $200 worth of pickups in a $450 guitar when I can get the sound I want for $60? GFS makes some great (Not just for the price) pickups.

Edit I’m putting DiMarzios in my Scratch build and Seymour Duncans in my 355 replica.

Ahhhh cool cool!! Sounds cool man!!

Yeah, I think I’m going for PAF sounding mid-output pickups. The mid output is why I chose DiMarzio. I want a classic, but modern sound.