The first non G-squared swirl?

You can actually try putting a white board marker against a spinning yoyo and that creates a topyo-swirl-ish kinda look. You can just draw on yoyos to modify colors :joy:

Swirls
Splashes
Fades
Etc.

You can even put a marker against the rims so that the yoyo would look like a bimetal :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Square Wheels was the first thing that came to my mind too, and the Rebel Macrocosm, which was a really wild thing with the unicorn skull and everything…
m1e m2e m3e

8 Likes

That looks remarkably the same as the famous raincorn swirl.

2 Likes

This antique Fly Back had a pretty crazy swirl because you know, there’s nothing new under the sun…fly%20back%201 fly%20back%202

2 Likes

Sort of but it is interesting the swirl is only on the inner side of the cups…

I would suggest that the praise for swirls really belongs to the anodisers. It is evidently not as easy as making a brush stroke.

The anodiser who did the previous G2 swirls was an incredible ano artist.

2 Likes

Absolutely. But but constructive feedback to improve a technique specific for yo-yos and colorway choices play a role in a nice final project.

5 Likes

Well, here they are

IMG_7619

IMG_7620

11 Likes

ooh that blue/purple rim dip looks nice!

1 Like

What are some examples of yoyos YopYo copied?

I thought he was talking about color ways.

The silver one is also very interesting. They must have masked off a galaxy because that black “stripe” isn’t just dark… it’s full galaxy in the stripe bits!

6 Likes

LOLWUT

Par Avion coming in swirls?!

10 Likes

top left is a very… interesting color combination

3 Likes

I can’t say either of those is doing much for me as far as color combinations, either… the Selenes were more to my taste.

3 Likes

I dig the 2 on the right

3 Likes
12 Likes

Yeah apparently GBA offered it to them because Jake doesn’t use GBA anymore (from what I understand - could be wrong)

1 Like

This one was even earlier. Posted to Flicker in January of 2010 so it was done in 2009. If you go to the link you’ll see “For Dave”. That’s me. I asked Justin (Vendetta to anodize this for me).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vendetta7/4255537854/in/album-72157623162975390/

Still have it in my collection and treasure it.

Not sure if Justin invented this, but I haven’t seen anything that predates this yet.

15 Likes

None of these examples, modern or 8+ years old, have matched G2 in their swirl prime though:

That is just :star_struck:

The recent G2 swirls haven’t been as good as the classics from 2016-2017 IMO.

13 Likes