The first non G-squared swirl?

Yeah, that is super nice😍

He put out one or two runs that used a laser engraved swirl which looked nice. I’d pick one of those up too

2 Likes

I didn’t care for the laser engraved swirls, those are always gonna be white.

3 Likes

141 Likes, 4 Comments - Shawn Garcia (@yotoyimages) on Instagram: “"Don
95 Likes, 2 Comments - Shawn Garcia (@yotoyimages) on Instagram: “#todaysthrow #yoyo #yoart”

SPYY Punchline by Vendetta c. 2011

22 Likes

Oh man that is so nice. And on my favorite yoyo ever made.

1 Like

I remember the first time I saw the swirls were the Vendetta ones in the examples provided by David and Ed. I think all those swirls are really beautiful. They’re not overly difficult to execute, however, because swirls (like acid washes) hide ano flaws.

The hardest colorways/styles to anodize are carefully composited and layered stenciling (not post anodize laser engraving) on solid backgrounds because there’s zero room for error.

8 Likes

I tried to do them and they ended up looking like puke :face_vomiting: lol

14 Likes

Vendetta did some really great ano work. I still have a couple of his pieces.

4 Likes

What yoyo is that? Doesn’t look like a Peak like I thought it was.

2 Likes

This is what I’ve always tried to get. Thinner, clean, half circle swirls. Only one shop has been able to do it for me. I tried to help GBA learn. Much wasted money and time on that venture.

9 Likes

I feel the magic can happen again. I BELIEVE :sparkles:

1 Like

I think that’s a campfire

2 Likes

The Vendetta Swirls don’t look all that G2 esque, but the One Drop current ones do look way more G2 than the Vendetta, so I think their attempt to mask what they did is sort of coming up short as seen from the pics. At first I didn’t care, then I found out Jake didn’t know about it, then I seen the lame cover up attempt and was a bit upset.

3 Likes

It’s a good thing companies have been so conscientious about citing their sources for design inspiration, but I’m pretty sure what ended up grinding Tom Kuhn Yo-Yo’s to a halt was Tom’s constant bombardment of emails asking for permission to splash anodize.

Yeah no that didn’t happen.
Just because you see it as your thing, it doesn’t make it YOUR thing. How many times have we seen variations on this same thing. Friction stickers, hubstacks, nipple design, weight rings, profile… there’s no corner of the yo-yo which hasn’t been claimed as intellectual domain - and some cases of specific innovations/patents have merit. But an ano pattern, the original developer of which was not tied to any company and is no longer in yo-yoing? If a fundamental aspect of your brand’s aesthetic design is something which you didn’t develop, then your claim to it is, at most, perceived.

20 Likes

Since this topic is sort of about ‘colorway originality’, I have a confession.

One of the main reasons I stopped anodizing is because everyone started copying fade splash/Skittles splash. I think I was the first to do them and and I credited Brett Grimes who did it in paint (not ano) for the inspiration.

But one can’t trademark colorways and it’s silly and selfish to think you can restrict others from using and enjoying a color theme. So eventually I got over it. I told my wife I’d like to get back into anodizing some day, maybe within the next year after I settle into my new home. (hopefully moving into our forever home within a month!)

In the meantime, I’ll just share this photo. They are probably my favorite two skittles anodize jobs. I did them for Clyw Chris as a present to Andre. To my knowledge Andre still keeps these two Chiefs. Knowing they were given as gifts makes me happy.

Jason

35 Likes

This is one of my favorite colorways of all gimme. Fantastic job!

6 Likes

Source?

4 Likes

Black Chief still sits on display at @AndreBoulay’s desk. Fantastic looking yo-yo!

15 Likes

Campfire :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love, love, love this throw. :blush:

image image

30 Likes

So happy to see Jason in any thread :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: love his work

13 Likes