The first non G-squared swirl?

Thank you guys! It’s nice to be back after a little break. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

What do these swirls look like when spinning?

1 Like

Nice. This might be a regular thing for OD now since Par Avion came in two swirls and one swirl Sugar Glider dropped on OneDrop’s website exclusively, apparently:

8 Likes

NG2 Gruntbull swirl. Damn close to G2s swirls for quality id say :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah Gruntbull isn’t allowed to do swirls any more, they signed an agreement, presumably with G2. That’s what I was told when I asked.

4 Likes

Ted still does custom swirls. He did some of mine, and I believe he also does the ones for One Drop. I could be mistaken about that, however.

3 Likes

Black/Rainbow and Silver/Rainbow colorways from YYF. This colorway was present on Horizons and OG Czechpoints only as far as I can remember. Beautiful execution from YYF. Awesome idea from Jason.

Iyoyofactory-horizon Iyoyofactory-horizon-1

:ok_hand: :+1:t4:

12 Likes

Oh you did not see this thing I made?

3 Likes

I agree on that quote. I want to see more swirls

1 Like

Well i wasnt sure if Gruntbull were or went allowed to do swirls still.
The whole Gruntbull swirl thing is a wasps nest i dont want to reopen tbh

I love the throw i love the fact its an OYY swirl something ive never seen before or since and i nearly sold it this month and im so glad i didnt tbh

Its a real shame theres very few out there still swirling and doing it well tbh
Id love to have a direwolf swirl in my collection <3

I think its just MFD that seem to still be swirling and theyre backed up to hell with orders right now :S

5 Likes

I think it’s funny that people are talking about G2 like that because I know that Jake copied it from other people as well.

2 Likes

No I didn’t. I’ve also told where the G2 Swirl came from multiple times. It’s was my take to evolve a brush stroke ano square wheels was doing.

7 Likes

Look man, the brush stroke that you “evolved” looks 99 and a half percent the same as the stuff you put on your yoyos. You’re not it’s creator.

That’s like me taking the galaxy color, using a slightly different technique to make it, and then getting mad when anyone makes galaxy yoyos because “that’s my color”.

However much you want it to be, it’s not the “G2 swirl”. You just use it a lot.

3 Likes

I dunno, the G2 swirl was quite perfect at one point. It’s kinda … regressed… since then, but it was :ok_hand: when it was rockin’

5 Likes

Ready for the circle to be completed…

The anodize on this yoyos was done by the guy that anodized for TK :innocent:

5 Likes

You probably don’t mean it that way, but you are sounding like people criticising modern art isn’t art. The 99.5% argument is bad. People who care about G2 Swirl can spot a G2 swirl with a glance. Either its distinctive and/or innovative or it isn’t; even if the actual difference is 0.00001%. You can’t deny that to some people the G2 Swirl IS distinctive, it is highly sought after and that people have sought to (and some would argue failed) at emulating.

Maybe you don’t see it, but when people say ‘G2 Swirl’ they have a very specific quality of swirl in mind. In fact Jake even said what it was: “Thinner, clean, half circle swirls”.

I am not criticizing you about your stance on whether other people can do “swirls”. Not gona poke that hornets nest with a barge pole. But I think we can have this discourse without stepping on the art.

6 Likes

100% with that. I hope to get back to where I wanted it. But it’s been elusive to me and only being able to get 1/6 anodizers to get to the final product I want.

5 Likes

Yeah I get what you’re saying, and or course I understand that other people have different opinions than me. However, the 99.5% argument that I made definitely does hold up in the case I used it in, which is that he in no way invented or has a claim on swirly looking yoyos. I don’t care how recognizable his anno is, other people did it first. And the swirls now from other companies look slightly different from what Jake has done, so he shouldn’t get upset when people do them.

2 Likes

lmao