The Duncan FREEHAND is back!

Any thoughts on if duncan will ever bring back the ability to commission cap orders? I remember they used to have a page where you could order runs of fhz caps.

7 Likes

Not at the moment. Sorry.

The policy for toys then and now are different. Duncan is treated as a toy company, so everything that gets out our factory needs to be tested. For caps customization — the testing will cost more than making the caps itself for special projects. We can’t even sell blank caps anymore even we want to.

The good news, we will have a lot of caps for sale in the future — featuring world champions, Duncan Legends (older crew) and current team members.

15 Likes

Also at the end of the day we can always make any cap blank with enough elbow grease!

3 Likes

a drop of lighter fluid from a bearing clean and those graphics just wipe away clean.

7 Likes

I think some explaining to corporate is needed. There needs to be at least one run of purple with blank white caps done. A legend like Danny should be included in a special edition.

edit: I know Danny’s wasn’t a FH1, but still. :purple_heart: :purple_heart: :purple_heart:

10 Likes

I would cop a purple/blank in a heartbeat

3 Likes

I wanted to throw this video out there real quick because to me it marks a significantly important moment in modern yoyo and the Freehand was at the center of this moment

Yuuki Spencer WINS 2002 Worlds nearly 20 years ago on the original Freehand One (Bionic Edition) with tricks that are still great tricks by todays standards.

What you can see is the natural evolution of responsive to unresponsive and the bind
 You can see Yuuki’s yoyo returns to his hand with a tug - yet he is binding it back to return as it spins down during play. (And at the very end you can see he even has enough spin for a flyaway dismount.) This was definitely a sign of the time with Renegades being the first step in this direction and Freehand with worn out friction stickers continuing it.

What is so beautiful about this moment in time is it was happening naturally and by default we still threw responsive but it was clear the direction was going towards modern and unresponsive but we didn’t really have the clear defined difference yet.

Throwing the new Freehand One brings this moment in time back so perfectly and I’m in love with that and still really enjoy throwing a semi-responsive that can handle tricks as well as this one does. It feels like a perfectly broken in Freehand One out of the box - with worn out friction stickers and everything that helped give birth to unresponsive and bind play. It is a beautiful moment of modern yoyo history captured in a way that anyone can experience even if they were not around for it!

33 Likes

Any chance of transitional colors showing up again or say enyo? Bionic or the vertigo would be fun to see as well.

3 Likes

Anyway we can get a video of you killing it on one?

6 Likes

Why? it’s how they thrive.

2 Likes

Because a couple of guys shipping a butt load of orders at the end of December is never a fun time, regardless of how profitable it may be. Good for business, yes, still a lot to accomplish for (what I assume) is mostly Garrett and Andre.

10 Likes

We have a couple guys behind the scenes to keep things running here as well, but with larger releases like this even I have to step away from my desk to help pack packages. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it
 :joy:

15 Likes

And thank you! I’m sure you have to deal with a fair amount of yoyo Karens as well, which just increases with order volume. I personally can wait for the eH and RBC because they’re toys, but some people man. If I was in town I’d bring you by a bunch of pizzas, lol.

4 Likes

Mail arrived just as we were getting ready to leave! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

26 Likes

Just got mine. Wow! They’re so much fun. The description “like a perfectly broken in FH1” is completely accurate. Thank you @bjardin

Can’t wait to buy every color.

4 Likes

love this half swap!

3 Likes

I thought it looked a bit like McDonalds color scheme at first but it’s been really growing on me!

2 Likes

For anyone just getting their Freehand in the mail too - this video still holds up great for learning the basics of 5A play direct from the source Steve Brown! The Freehand is ‘featured’ in the video but hadn’t actually been released when the video launched!

13 Likes

@bjardin what is the best recommended technique for cap removal on these new plastic Freehands? Would the compressed air method work?

6 Likes

@bjardin i figure it out, I used compressed air, but I could have nut pushed. Translucent Blue Caps on my Plastic Blue FH1

15 Likes