The day my white whale popped up on the BST for a ridiculously low price, and I was an hour too late

I just don’t have the time for these things.

Barely even the time to make them.

1 Like

Spinworthy might be dying a slow death over time. Not many buyers lately at all.

I have some orders to fulfill though.

1 Like

That’s is how I first found out about Spinworthy to be honest! Browsing through Jensen’s Instagram I saw a post he made about your trade and how much he liked your work. That same day I bought my first Harbinger from Yoyoshop.

This was before I knew you were here on the forums.

2 Likes

my white whale…never even thought there would be an opportunity or chance to own one…let alone that it would wind up being listed on the bst and ofcourse I already used my yoyo budget and my car broke down so emergency savings was all gone…time and patience it gave me hope and made realize I need to be prepared for the next time!!!

2 Likes

“I’ve gotten some of mine in Jensen Kimmitt’s and also @YOHANS hands.”

I think that is the right way forward, get your YoYos into the hands of well known players. Do you have a website at all?

1 Like

I don’t have a website. That would certainly help.

This is my current situation:

The number one problem is that I am extremely time poor. I have a very busy job that occupies about 10 or more hours every day. I am also a father who wants to spend time with his family which means I have something like 2 hours a week to work on making yoyos. Usually, I spend those two hours making yoyos to hand out to kids at school.

I really don’t have time to work on yoyos much. I really wish I could make more to get into player’s hands everywhere for cheaper than I am able.

I also don’t have the time to post new content on social media. I usually don’t have any new content or updates. Now and again I can make something, but not much.

But whatever. Life is more important than yoyos.

3 Likes

You should check out the “how to run a boutique yoyo business” book by Jeremy at Rain City. I was talking with him about it at worlds and he told me about some of his time saving social media tricks. He uses programs to make posts to social media for him. Only has to post once a week or so and the program posts the rest to whatever social media you want whenever you want.

1 Like

It’s really hard to constantly come up with new stuff to post. But just posting photos regularly seems to help.

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad, I saw it after it was up for something like 10 minutes and it was already gone.

But! We’ve got the Triptych on the way! :grin:

4 Likes

Ah yeah :grin: :crossed_fingers:

You don’t need to pay for that sort of advice, and never should IMO. Running a yoyo business is no different than any other business. You can find hundreds of free blog posts to hep out with small business tips and social media hacks with a quick google search.

2 Likes

True, but I’d say it might be worth 12$ to have all of this put into a book that’s tailored to the boutique yoyo business if you’re trying to run a small yoyo co.

5 Likes

I hope no one bought the book with the intention of starting their own “company.” The market is saturated enough as is.

4 Likes

Ehh, I really just hate the idea of selling advice. Especially with the amount of free advice available online from actual experts on the subjects. If anyone wants yo-yo business advice or social media advice send a PM and I’m happy to chat or point you in the right direction, as are most other people. :man_shrugging:

If stock market experts were so expert, they would be buying stock, not selling advice.

8 Likes

@Glenacius_K - I still think the best thing you could do would be to send a yoyo to youtubers like Tom from Throws and Brews and Dylan and have them make a video on it. People watch these videos and it will give you much more exposure than creating a website that nobody goes to. A website might help a little bit, but requires much more time and effort than posting to social media. A visible storefront of some kind would be helpful instead of having to contact you privately though. I don’t know how to go about it though. You would have to provide the youtubers with information on how to go about purchasing a Spinworthy. Is it even possible outside of contacting you privately on the YYE forum? The demand for your yoyos might be higher than you expect.

As far as having the time for social media presence, you really don’t have to put in much time. Take pictures of you making yoyos on your lathe and post like once or twice a week. The same posts you make here about your fixies and plastics could be posted to Instagram or Reddit or wherever else yoyoers go.

4 Likes

Hmm Diptych and Triptych make sense as “Canvas sequels” since that is almost literally what they mean as art terms. Also … get it. A-RT terms?

7 Likes

Wow, you’re right. :thinking:

1 Like

Very good idea, I watch both those youtubers religiously.

1 Like

IKR?! What if your name is ■■■■? Wow! ■■■■ Cheney? Nope…

4 Likes

Hate to hear that! I certainly do my best to sing their praises.

1 Like