The current state of the US 5A game.

Something I thought I would talk about.

5A.

5A has gone through many “stages” as it seems throughout its first revelation up to its current state.

I have come to notice something in the current state of 5A that is actually quite interesting to see, and the realization of where the current scene lies can have a crucial role in the progression of the style here in the US.

I would like to present the idea, that the 5A game at its current time, is comparable to the US 2A scene 01-02.

At this time, 2A was basically the “second style” people would go to, and there were quite a few kids who were getting into it, and going places with it.
Similarly, 5A of the US scene right now, is a style that many kids are taking up, and it has slowly started to become the “second main style” as 2A had been before.

During the 01-02 era, the US scene had an interesting divide in the 2A game. There were 3 very notable players of 2A who had tricks that were obviously above the pack. Matt Harlow, Masahiro Tanikawa, and Patrick Mitchell. The three of them were just insane 2A powerhouses who dominated the contest that they compete in all around the US. It was always one of them at the top.

Right now, in the US scene in terms of 5A, The US has three players who are also “on the top” and dominate the contest they compete in. Namely, Tyler Severance, Miguel Correa, and Samm Scott.

During the 2A era of the past, as forementioned, there were many younger players who were getting into the 2A game, and were quite good at what they did (Adam Dennehy, Marcus Feibka, Matt Kubera to name a few). These players had great tricks, but they were never able to quite break into the “elite 3” who dominated the contest.

Similarly, right now, we have many of this sort of “second tier” 5A players in the scene, (Chase Baxter, Robbie Graham, Juan Renteria, myself). Players who have good material, but just can’t seem to break the 3 as the 2A era players of the US also had done.

The realization of the similarities brings me to wonder what will happen in the US 5A scene,
and I look at what happened to the 2A scene.
Basically, Matt Harlow retired from competition, as did Masahiro. Many of the “next gen” sadly quit yoyoing (Marcus, Matt, Adam) (or retired from competition), and 2A somewhat dithered out with only a few remaining to carry it on. (Joseph Harris, Patrick M, Yosshi, Grant) and a few new names started to rise up in the recent years (Connor Scholten, Ian Lawson, Hugh Higganbotham etc.)

Looking at how things went, it makes me wonder what may happen in 5A in the next few years? Will someone finally be able to break into that elite 3? Or will the elite 3 stay the elite 3 until retirement? Will more 5A players rise up? Or will it dither out, and maybe rise to fire once again in the future?

I think what’s important to see here, is that while many of the sort of scenarios in the 2A era are now present with us 5A players, noticing this gives us a unique opportunity to have a great impact on it’s future. My hope is that more players take up 5A, and that through hard work and dedication, one of us would finally be able to break into the top 3 that is seen as such an impossibilty to break into.

Whatever happens, Ill keep playing 5A.

Here’s to the future.

salute-bark

Haru

1 Like

Very thoughtful post. I can see your point here. A similar thing happens in Soccer, specifically on National Teams that have a dominant Keeper (Goalie) that stays around for years. The effect on the younger generation of aspiring Keepers can be devastating.

Thankfully, many of these players realized their responsibility to the new generation. Some mentor younger Keepers; and make sure that they are “busy” or “injured” for enough games to get these younger Keepers their chance. In extreme circumstances, they retire from their National Team early to give the next-generation their chance.

this was a very awesome insight into some information i didn’t know much about. Thankyou for giving insight into these worlds haru:)

I like your clever comparisons between 2A and 5A history, but I don’t think we will see 5A die in America like 2A.
2A’s popularity stemmed from the tradition of old school yoyo style. Its harder to learn and is more difficult to create original tricks with. It also is very different from 1A and so essentially requires mastering an entirely different skillset.
5A is much easier then 2A and is very similar to 1A. In some ways, learning 1A makes 5A moves almost intuitive, and at the very least uses most of the same fundamental skills. 5A has infinite possibilities for trick creation.
I think the fall of 2A had less to do with loosing the big name players you have listed, and more to do with new 5A innovations. As an easier to learn alternate to 2A play, 5A was ripe for innovation and creativity and didn’t require learning a completely different skillset. I think that 5A took the #2 position away from 2A because of this.

Because its closer in style to 1A, and easier to innovate with, I think 5A as a division can easily survive the loss of the powerhouse players that you have listed (as much as we would all hate to loose them). I think that the play-style itself keeps its position as #2 and not the power players.

Still you have to admit that the comparisons you outline here are uncanny.