Why don't more people play/compete 2A-5A?

My guess is starting another style is similar to learning yo-yo all over again–most don’t want to deal with the learning curve. But I would suggest learning a new style gives people the chance to experience the excitement of learning how to yo-yo all over again.

I am looking for honest answers–prestige? price? difficulty? discouraging? boring?

I find it unfortunate because there is so much more to explore in 2A-5A.

Best,
Patrick

We live in america, american kids like instant gratification, because instant gratification is what they are always given. Sad fact but true. That said, other styles (especially 2A and 3A) have HUGE learning curves that take quite a bit of time for many to master. In a sense, the other styles take much more effort to learn. A new player can sloppily land a 1A trick they see in a decent amount of time and feel they can move on. But despite hours and hours of practice, other styles elements take much longer to grasp and understand. This is why, if you notice in some other countries where the mind-set of the generations are different, you see lots more players taking up other styles. Sadly, American kids are lazy and spoiled, simple as that, and wether or not they will admit is irrelevant, because its a fact (Minus the very few who actually choose to go against this, which sadly, is few)

Also though, look at the hype. How much are the top 1A players hyped? What results does everyone look forward to seeing at a contest? What results are announced at the end of the contest to “save the best for last?” Its 1A. And kids like hype, they like whats current, and when they see 1A all flashed up and big in lights, it’s what they will want to do.

Those two aspects alone already explain quite a bit, although there are surely other factor at play.

Haru

1 Like

Diffuclty and discouragement are often related, you get discouraged if something is to difficult to do. But really some are just plain hard, and as Haru said, 1a is the most gratifying and easiest to learn.It’s all about preference. Whatever you prefer, go with it! :slight_smile:

I can only speak for myself, but when I saw 1A for the first time, I was like, “Yeah, I gotta learn that.” When I saw other styles, I just wasn’t as motivated. 2A seemed to me as “just a bunch of looping” (learned later that it’s actually rather rich in technique) and 5A seemed like an extension of 1A. Learn 1A, then add a counterweight and continue to grow.

At this point, even though I understand the benefits and joys of 2A and 5A, I’m still really having fun learning 1A. I don’t feel the need to branch out yet, because I haven’t had a 1A roadblock yet.

I suspect that a lot of people are similar… want to learn 1A first… and find 1A so rewarding that they don’t want to divide their time and learn something else concurrently!

If those who start with 1A decide they’re done with yoyoing in general, they might just not get around to 2A or 5A. So first you need a dedicated player (who doesn’t just drop the hobby altogether when they start finding 1A ‘boring’) and then that player needs to have a reason to branch out (acquire new skills, have a different kind of fun, reclaim some excitement).

I will inevitably do some 5A. But since 1A is still exciting and rewarding for me, there’s no reason for me to do so just yet. That’s not a judgment about 5A’s worth, but rather a simple fact about how I’m enjoying my yoyoing time right now. :smiley:

2A will be even further down the road. I don’t have confidence in my ability to use my off hand and I don’t have the space to practice effectively. And while I have grown to see that you have to be a boss to play 2A, it still doesn’t inspire me the same way string tricks do.

There are so many tricks for 1A. Not as many for 2A. 3A needs two good yoyos that enjoy hurting each other. 4A also doesn’t have many ticks. 5A gets you good yoyo all over the floor.

I play 4A in addition to 1A, just because it just seems more liberating and exciting, because you’re not confined to the string. 4A doesn’t have as much of a learning curve as the others, but when you make a mistake, it’s not nearly as forgiving. As a result, learning a new trick, or even just hitting a trick you already know just feels so satisfying. I have dabbled in 2A and 5A as well, but they just didn’t appeal to me, even though I know I could be decent at them if I put more time into it.

I’m trying everything, and loving it all. ;D

There’s plenty of tricks available in all the styles.

2A is rather difficult compared to 1A. It’s not due to one-handed play, but rather learning the feel of things. No doubt for many, the hurdle is 2-handed play. It ain’t easy. I’ve been working hard at it for over a year and I’m still struggling. New tricks come, but not as often due to limitations in what is being done now, vs. what people are able to come up with, but still is still figured out.

3A, like with 2A, is the 2-handed element. Being equally competent on both hands is really not that easy. Then you have to deal with strings intermingling. This style is still evolving.

4A and 5A are still evolving heavily. 5A can do nearly anything 1a can, but with an added element. It’s not easy to manage 2 element sometimes. With 4A, bounces and hits are being incorporated now as well as horizontal tricks. Grinds are becoming more important.

Regardless, each style requires its own discipline. It’s hard work. If you’re enjoy it, it’s well worth it!

I’m learning triple a.

I’m working on 1A, 2A, 4A and 5A. I have the desire to do 3A, but just not yet. Need to get 2A down first.

I’m getting some 2a yoyo’s soon. Hope they’re better than my current looping yoyo.

You all need to get some identical throws and learn 3a. It is so amazing.

I do 1A mainly but im learning 5A…slowly but steadily, but im not good enough to do it in public…yet. :wink:

I was expecting you to ask why more people don’t do 3A XD. In my experience at the NER, 1A and 5A were the most popular it seemed and 2A and 3A were the least (to put it in order it would be 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 1A). I guess 2A isn’t very popular because it doesn’t have the technical complexity and variation (in most cases) as and of the other styles, which are things that draw people to modern yoyoing.

I think you nailed it.

I actually think the learning curve is one of the best parts about yoyos. I love that feeling when you can finally do a certain trick. I started 2a because I’m bored of 1a. I’ll probably try 5a when I get tired of 2a.

I’ve got plenty of loopers. My favorites are still the YYJ Unleashed. Just seems to work best for me.

Actually I don’t believe he did.

3A has just as many tricks as 1A.
People who play 3A know it.
The OP is a 3A player

And 5A, I understand the floor mess, but honestly, I haven’t hit the floor in almost a year of throwing 5A

4A, is evolving intensely.
Look at players like Josh yee, Ben Conde, and so many more.
Many Japanese contest videos I’ve seen, wow they really take things to a new level.

2A, it’s way cheaper than 1A for a fact, and also, the tricks a much more difficult to grasp. Not too much I can say, as I still am unable to throw 2A, but try telling that to Shu and Shinji.

All styles are unique to one another.
And 1A was the “original” ergo Most popular.

I’d say 2A was technically the original style. People were doing loops long before they were doing trapezes.

There are a few reasons, the first being that they’re dang hard. A relatively new 1A player can learn a trick in a day or so, but a new 2A trick takes weeks to get down. It’s discouraging to fail over and over again when you could be succeeding in 1A.
The culture is another big part of it. People like Zach Gormley, Gentry Stein, and Jensen Kimmitt get much more hype than people like Bryan Figueroa or Patrick Borgerding. They’re not necessarily any “better” at yo-yoing, but that’s just how our community is.
I think the number one roadblock to 2A-5A, though, is the relative lack of learning resources. There are as many 1A tutorials on this website as there are for all of the other styles combined. When you walk into your local yo-yo club, there might not be anybody there who can teach you a new 3A trick. This makes it very difficult to get even the basics down. I think that new, well publicized tutorials would be the best way to popularize the other styles.