Do 2a and 3a players exist?

Does anyone here play 2a or 3a? Seems so much rarer than even 4a or 5a

Pretty much never see or hear talk of 2a and only really see 3a on IG from a few well known players

8 Likes

Itā€™s much like ā€œdoes anyone live in Idaho?ā€ We know itā€™s a state, itā€™s interesting, but who has truly met someone from there?

11 Likes

Yes I know several that go to club, a lot of cats do multiple As

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna need some names and IG handles fam

4 Likes

tbh iā€™m afraid to pick up 2A. Itā€™s so, so damn cool, but iā€™m afraid that iā€™m gonna suck miserably at it. Iā€™ve heard looping just never click for some people. Iā€™m having way too much fun with 5A rn. #5ABois

6 Likes

At NER Andre told me that because people are getting so much better at 3A 4A and 5A that less and less people are competing in those divisions. 2A was already like that.

2a is the most monotanous style to practice. It took me so long just to learn one handed loops.

The one upside is it isnā€™t really frustrating to practice, itā€™s just a grind

5 Likes

You gotta dig a bit tho

2 Likes

Honestly I can see that for competing. I think 2a is by far the hardest style to get world class at cuz itā€™s not like 1a where a few years of dedicated practice can get you there, if you havenā€™t already been looping for 5-10 years you basically have no chance anytime soon.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s quite the case with 3a though. Yeah itā€™s still really hard to get to alex hattori or minato furuta level but I donā€™t think getting good at 3a is that overwhelmingly difficult.

Also you donā€™t really have to get to a world class level to get into these styles though so Iā€™m not sure why that would be a major deterrent

As for 4a and 5a yeah the top competitors are pretty much the same but thereā€™s a decent number of new players getting into it every year

2 Likes

I would personally love to try 3a. Its more intimidating to me than any other style simply because I feel the need to get MUCH better at 1a before even attempting.

Maybe this is a sentiment shared by others, which causes the # of people actually trying it to be lower? Just a gut feeling.

Yeah a really hard thing fundamentally about 3a is the tilt control so if youā€™re not really comfortable with your 1a throw that could make it a lot harder

Man if I ever get to the point where Iā€™m really comfortable with 3a Iā€™m 100% making tutorials. The style with the fewest tutorials and help by far

2 Likes

This oneā€™s a goodie

1 Like

Oooh Iā€™m gonna try that 2nd trick tmrw

I didnā€™t think to try doing 1.5 hops for 3a

I ordered a couple 720s last Friday. Letā€™s see how long I last :grimacing:

3 Likes

It was a few months before i really got any use from both my loopers :joy:

Still canā€™t do two handed loops consistently

3 Likes

Whatā€™s your current 2A setup?

1 Like

I just have my YYJ Unleashed from way back. I like how theyā€™re adjustable gap by just twisting. Havenā€™t bothered with buying new ones since I donā€™t really practice anymore

3 Likes

Yeah - we recently had an idea about maybe making more of an ā€˜amateurā€™ X-Division to encourage people to get into itā€¦ Maybe even making it freestyle but with a ā€˜listā€™ of tricks to go off ofā€¦ Since sometimes 2A can be intimidating to get into - but if you knew the list of tricks to expect maybe more people would give it a try?

They are out there but 2A definitely takes the most practice to get ā€˜reallyā€™ good atā€¦ And 3A similar story. 4A and 5A are much more approachable to learn at a faster pace!

8 Likes

A while ago I got really interested in 2A so I bought a couple loopers. Hours and hours later, I basically now just keep it on my kitchen counter as a yoyo to hand to friends who want to relive the past. I canā€™t get more than 3 consecutive loops with my right hand, let alone doing it at all with the left. I really donā€™t have the time to put in to even do the most basic of 2A, so I kind of already gave up on it. I respect 2A players the most though.

As for 3A, im not really interested. It is cool to watch, but I have enough fun with 1 unresponsive yoyo. I would rather mess with 5A if I want to deal with 2 objects at once. Honestly I think 5A should be bigger.

Im not surprised that nobody here has yet to admit to being a 2A or 3A player. Still some time though.

3 Likes