The curious case of Yoyo cases

I am very sorry for the pun in the title guys but it was too horrible to not be done.

It is from long time that I have this question and curiosity, the yoyo case itself, mistreated and forgotten but useful, them are so weird pieces of kit in the yoyo world.

In a world full of yoyos, bearings, strings and what not, the yoyo case is always on the shade but I can see that there is a request from them.

Space for 12, 2, 8, 24 yoyo (god bless who find the last one available) and always sold out basically everywhere or very few amount available.

Why is that? Why not 10 yoyo case, 20, 50, even 100 we all know that we yoyoers like to buy yoyos so why not create big cases (also in metal), I can understand the contest bag but what about the home collection?

If I had the time, business mentality and effort I will open a company that offer from 5 to 200 yoyos case and study a way to keep them protected and stuff (for guitar there is a market only on the cases, different types, shapes and specs) but there is anything like that out there for yoyos, even find the “normal” cases is an effort (and even more in europe) and also are always soft bags (that’s what I have), in my case I do not have a big collection but I can’t imagine with people that have thousand pieces and cannot put them in a shelf or something in the house, what about to have a case with 100 yoyo space (thinking about the space or how it can be done maybe even more).

Why them are always sold out basically everywhere or just couple of pieces available, I can see that the bigger case with 24 yoyos always are sold out so that mean that there is a request for this type of item, why no one thought about this?!

So many questions, not even an answer!

(this case is not mine, but it is a great idea 72 pieces in)

8 Likes

I wish there were more hard cases available. Something I can cover in stickers!

8 Likes

Big cases like the one mentioned used to be super common. But then less people wanted to collect and more felt the need to just bring their contest players around. Less demand

2 Likes

It is weird as at home we all have lot of throw, is also inevitable if you play for long time they will start to accumulate, I never have been a collector but after more than 10 years I do have at least 50 yoyos and they are all in the soft bag with 16 spaces (if i am right), it was amazing have only one big case where to put them when not in use and a smaller bag for the daily throws

2 Likes

Why don’t we have a yoyo case thread, yet?

I was thinking about getting one of these, but I’m not sure how many yoyos I can store in them

This one looks too big

or is this the case thread I was looking for but didn’t read the first post :joy:

1 Like

I actually just bought this with the idea of making a case out of it.

TOYO Trunk Shape Toolbox

Got the foam cut to size and now I just need to cut the holes

6 Likes

These have been on my Amazon watch list forever. Please let us know how it goes!

1 Like

wait yall don’t just toss all your yoyos loose into a tool box?

1 Like

So far so good. Going after work to get a copper coupler. Watched a couple videos about cutting holes in foam and that was recommended a few times. Not sure what diameter to get. I was thinking 50 or 52 mm.

Looks good over all. I’m going to cut holes all the way through and put a Layer on the bottom and on the lid

7 Likes

Nice! I believe the standard I saw around here was about 2", the general diameter of a tomato paste can. Might be cheaper than a coupler, but you’d have to eat a fistful of tomato paste :joy:

2 Likes

That’s what I had always heard too. The videos I watched said the coupler should only be a dollar or so. Otherwise we’ll just have spaghetti for dinner lol

1 Like

I made one using “Bear Brand” milk can. It’s a small can, the diameter is something like 50mm.
You just cut it in half, then use it to cut in circular motion. Makes great rounded holes.

5 Likes

Everyone check Freshly Dirtys site. They have a super sweet case up

Holds 50

I seen it and it looks sooo cool but it is too expensive for what it is sadly (or at least for me).
There is another USA shop that make cases, their one contain 36 yoyos for $50, if you buy 2 cases (like I did) you have 72 spots instead of 50 at the same price of one freshly dirty case, other than that the shop always make discounts so it become even less.

1 Like

Yeah comparing that blow mold case to the aluminum case is a tad different. Im pretty sure flambeau actually produces that case for said shop and probably cost flambeau about 20 cents to produce. Maybe 5 dollars. Hell idk. But alot of people are going to want aluminum I would assume as ive had blow mold cases break on me throughout the years.

I do see the appeal though as ive had multiple of them but I have a small toddler and need a lock on the case to keep him out of my yoyos. I paid it with FD and might buy another if i get the chance. There is also no telling what YYG’s 72 star case would cost today as it was 90 dollars 20 years ago.

Have a good day!

2 Likes

I do agree with you if you live in a “dangerous” environment is good money spent and also the case from FD looks soooo much better, when I see it I wanted it so much but is out of my budget taking in account that I have to pay duty import and high shipping cost as well (which is my problem).

I wish in general that there was many cases around also for people awful in diy like me, in this way was more possible to choose, I remember in the past there where so many around

1 Like

Decided to go with a complete solution for now :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Okay here is how it turned out. The cuts for the holes aren’t perfect but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Specifically made it for my favorite black yoyos.

11 Likes

Yooo so if it hasn’t been said you guys should check out Tyler mcllellens video on yo-yo cases on YouTube it’s Uber his beverchakas1 profile.
Watched it as a kid and been the go to ever since.

That looks great! Which size was that?