The best bimetal yo-yo of all time.. OF ALL TIME!

But I thought that the advantage of stainless steel rings is that it allows much more of the weight to be concentrated exclusively to the rims of the yoyo, providing all manner of spin-time and stability benefits. Is that not true (anymore)?

Right but you can do that weight distribution with chunkier aluminum rims just as easily. Fairly sizable advantage in durability as well.

Hmm. Then why did bimetals ever become a thing?

2 Likes

I guess it makes sense that you could get the same weight distribution if you broke it to pure numbers, but the volume of the aluminum will be much more to achieve the same weight so you just couldn’t pull off the same shapes/profiles as you can with bimetals.

If I understand it correctly.

2 Likes

You can do the shape, there’s just more material in the cup to get there (for rim weight). If you want a thin edge, then sure. But people don’t usually care too much about chunkiness on the cup side, I guess it could affect thumb grinds a tad but that’s it?

Extreme example but same shape in delrin vs bimetal

4 Likes

I disagree with coding and I honestly haven’t heard anyone else really say the same thing as he is.

The point of steel rings is so you can attach that weight right at the edge. The fact that there’s more material in the cup to get there like he said proves you can’t distribute weight the same way with mono metal as you could a bimetal. You have to have extra weight from the mid point of the yoyo to make those massive rims with monometal. You can’t just have the walls super thin up til like 5mm from the very edge of the rim then make the rims massive all of a sudden.

With mono metals there has to be a progression to those thick chunks, which means not all of the weight is right at the rims. With bimetal you can literally slap all the rim weight at the very edge.

3 Likes

But you can, with 7068 and 7075, because they’re stronger. And those “advanced” aluminum alloys are much more prevalent these days versus classic 6061.

1 Like

I disagree. You can do it a little better than 6061 but you still can’t execute it well enough to have the same effect as bimetal.

2 Likes

Personally I think what is more interesting in bimetal design is when the bimetal rim extends far over the edge (and in fact is the entirety of the edge) in a handful of yoyos like the Alta and Haymaker X.

Compare with other typical bimetal designs

• outer rings “above” the aluminum (edge)
  • inner rings “below” the aluminum (cognition)
  • edge rings in an embedded “sandwich” layer (grasshopper x, pound)
  • edge rings extending out beyond the aluminum (haymaker x)

The full edge design seen in the Haymaker X and Alta are clearly impossible with aluminum in any form, but people don’t seem to think it’s revolutionary or anything.

(I am not sure but maybe the upcoming Edge Beyond does this as well? Clearly YYF is experimenting with this since the Alta is theirs, and quite new.)

3 Likes

Looking at Evan’s sneak preview video I think it is almost certainly the case that the bimetal edge extends far beyond the aluminum cup like the Alta. I’m really interested in the Edge Beyond for this reason⁉

1 Like

Yeah, it reminds me of the chunkiness of the Wedge. However, the Wedge is noticeably wider than the Edge, and Evan has promised that the Edge Beyond is the same width as the Edge.

1 Like

So people wouldn’t have to make the rims so chunky and so they could concentrate way more weight near the edge of the rims.

1 Like

The edge beyond is definently a unique throw. It’s cool, plays well, and sounds like a titanium yoyo. The rims seem to actually take up half of width of the whole yoyo (oh, and they do extend way “beyond” the cup).

1 Like

image image

5 Likes

The mass moment of inertia is related to the square of the radius of the sum of the point masses, so having a thin rim is essential if you want high rim-weight on a low overall-weight yoyo.

2 Likes

Catch 22 I believe was YoyoFactory’s First bimetal.

Picking a favorite bimetal is tough. Trick Motion by yoyo studio llama is great. So are many of the Sturm Panzer line. I think if I had to pick one it would be the Draupnir.

4 Likes

Huh that would be befitting of its special packaging status… but it’s titanium bimetal

http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/n-z/yoyofactory/yyf-catch-22

51mm diameter, so basically undersize by today’s standards, “classic 2010 era” strikes again!

4 Likes

Would you reccomend an Alta over the Haymaker X?

2 Likes

The omnitron is kind of speedy and doesn’t have a wide profile. I’d say it’s good for fast tech or just speedy stuff. The slim shape makes it good to land specific string hits.

2 Likes

I don’t suppose you’re sponsored by Yoyofactory?..

8 Likes