The Ask G2 Jake Thread

A little bit of both. Usually I have an idea of how I want a yoyo to play, and a basic shape. Sketching them helps me decide where I go with it, slight angle changes and such. Eventually I get a sketch I want and send the sketch with measurements to my friend/team member Drew. Drew then draws the sketch in CAD. If I’m happy with it we move on to machining.

Really can’t count the hours. A lot.

No simulation tools, if we think the cad will work we have a proto made.

Usually a small adjustment is needed after the first proto. It just depends sometimes it comes out perfect first try like the albatross.

Is Brett still on the team even tho he retired from public yoyo stuff?

No. Brett hasn’t had any association with G2 since early in the year.

Design the cad, then the machine shop takes over. I currently deal with two shops OD and one a friend works as.

I like to watch some of them. Some people have good ideas I like to see them go through with it.

Others don’t really know what they are getting into and it’s a little frustrating that they think its so easy.

Also making a small run is a lot easier than trying to make a run of a hundred or more.

I don’t think it hinders the industry. It’s a hobby, it’s part of what keeps it fun is the home brew stuff. That should also help push companies to make their products even better.

The start up is a long story. I saved up enough money and decided to go after it with a friend.

Not a full time business and that isn’t in the plans.

Maybe 2014

I think it’s great that you are so active on the forum. I hadn’t planned on buying any of your throws initially but seeing this shows me that you really care. Something that isn’t found in many businesses. Kudos to you!

Why are only 6061 and 7075 alloys used in aluminum yoyos? Aren’t there other alloys? Is it impossible to anodize other alloys?

ILYY yoyos are mainly 6082
It’s just 6061 is more common.
Ditto 7075
6082 is less dense than 6061.

And you can tell too, ILYY always feels super floaty to me

There are other alloys. The more dense the harder to anodize. 6061 and 7075 are possibly easier to get in the US? That’s just what my machine shops offer, I think they could use others if I asked.

I appreciate the appreciation.
Thank you!

For future yoyos.
Do you ever plan to make 1 insanely bogus design? Like MFD with the evilyo and lesula. YYF with the AG1 And 2 and CLYW with the GE and cliff?

And how do you feel about very V shaped, rim weighted, speed demon-esque yoyos?

A yoyo with side effects?

Nothing like the MFD 2 but maybe something with negative space. The cliff is a very nice yoyo.

As far as a speed demon V shape… You might be onto something. Stay tuned :wink:

Ahh, so you’re into the undercut game eh?
And Sweet! V shaped demons are probably my go to yoyos when I just wanna knock out a super long combo.
They seem to be the most basic, yet some of the most effective.

Now tell me this, how do you feel about 60mm and above diameter?
I’d love to see you tackle that sort of yoyo!

And offstring, would you get into that industry? Or do you not play offstring enough? Haha!

What’s your favorite NES game?

He said a few pages ago that he wouldnt go over 57.xx anytime soon.

Don’t plan on going that big anytime soon.

As for offstring. I don’t have the capital to invest in a mold, or have delrin machined. Also I don’t play much offstring so I’m not sure how well I would do designing one. So this is pretty unlikely. But never say never.