The Ask G2 Jake Thread

yes. yes i do. i also like the hulk blood nessie. ;D ;D

Would you ever consider making a plastic?

somebody asked this before and he said no because 1: molds are expensive and 2: he doesnā€™t feel like doing several runs of 500, a year. This is why he enjoys manufacturing small runs of metals that the world can enjoy. :smiley:

1 Like

As a designer, can you explain the advantages/disadvantages to the lip in the gaps of the Albatross and Triton? Is there a particular point where the lip gets too wide? Iā€™m especially interested in how it affects the winding and the throw.

The reason Iā€™m asking is because I love the comfortable look of the rounded rims of the Triton, but Iā€™m not sure why more companies donā€™t ā€œfill inā€ the space created by the gap lip to make more of a V shape like the BVM2 (very similar rims).

Thanks!

The main purpose is the feel. Like you said if you fill in the space if feels more like a V shape. With the bump it allows you continue the curve making the yoyo feel more round. It doesnā€™t have much to do with performance. Depending on the surface area that hits the string it can effect stability and horizontal play.

If you look at the quake it doesnā€™t have the bump and its goes along with the V shape we were creating.

Do you do the CAD design yourself or do you still do it how you send One Drop a drawing of your design and the put it into a CAD?

My team member Drew puts our stuff into the CAD then we send it over to OD

Gotta be contra, but one of my favorite games that isnā€™t obvious was captain skyhawk.

What yoyo do you think you have put the most play time on?

Hmmm hard to say, I put a lot on play on my freedom Albatross. I think that or my space panther Triton.

Think Iā€™m all caught up, bring it.

Maybe thisā€™d be more relevant to ask in a few weeks when weā€™ve all got our Quakes in-hand, but could you guide us through the development process a bit? Specifically, what was the initial idea in your head like, how many prototypes/iterations were tested, and how much changed? The initial CAD, has it been 53mm / 41mm / 66g from the beginning? Any interesting discoveries along the way?

Hey whats up Jake (same daytripper from IG);

I was wondering if you have any idea (if its a secret its cool) when The Quake (roughly) will drop; and for how much $ retail?

Thanks

Iā€™ll have a write up like this when I drop a pic of all of the colorways together.

Short story on the quake.

The main focus was to create something that plays fast. The models in the past have been able to be pushed, but we wanted something that felt like it was pushing you to play fast instead. The second leading idea on the quake design was that everyone is dropping oversized yoyos, and we wanted to give you guys a choice to pick something up that was a little smaller. 53 is small but itā€™s not to the point where itā€™s a undersized pocket yoyo that you wouldnā€™t want to compete with. Comfortable V shape was what we was to pack these characteristics into. The first proto came out with a little bit to much face weight, and it was not as stable as I wanted. We made some adjustments to move the weight and change the wall slightly. Now the quake is stable as can be, and it the best Horizontal yoyo we have released.

The biggest thing the V1 proto helped me discover was how face weight can cause a pulse vibe depending how much you have and how far out from center it is. V2 is perfect though :slight_smile:

Hey Eric!

Looking at the 27th.
Also 110$ for splashed/acid wash. 99$ for solid clear.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but what is your favorite color?

Blue.

Colorway Snozberries

Yo jake

I think you should do some sort of contest and the prize should be a quake

:wink:

Maybe. No good ideas for a contest currently.

Donā€™t listen to him, he just wants free yoyos.