The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

That doesn’t deform the inner race in any way? (i.e., due to the balls crushing in on the inner race from the pressure.)

I guess it could. In my experience the outer race usually just cracks before the inner race gets deformed.

1 Like

Probably easier and safer to pull out the ball retainer with pliers, let the balls roll to one side and then it comes apart easily and without damaging anything.

1 Like

What’s this?

I know about the C-clip and the bearing shields. I know what the inner and outer race are, and of course, the balls. But I have no idea what a “ball retainer” is.

It’s referred to by different names, ball retainer or ball cage being common, but it’s the thing that holds the balls in position.

1 Like

I guess I didn’t quite realize there was such a piece in there, though it totally makes sense that there would need to be one!

Yep. When you pull it out, and they come out pretty easy with pliers, all the balls will roll to the bottom. Then the whole thing comes apart nice and easy.

1 Like

@zslane

Ball retainer at the top. Other types that fully surround the balls except the top and bottom where they contact the race, I think, are made of two pieces that are pressed together around the balls.

3 Likes

Ya’ll are killing me with these setups, but I won’t go there…

3 Likes

The inner race is like a tiny grooved centering bearing! Cool!

2 Likes

Yeah, I wonder if it would work better to machine that off? I guess if you could do that, you could just machine the whole thing.

1 Like

Thank you so much guys!

It arrived today! I’m literally dying to get home and play with it!!

4 Likes

Really keen to hear what you think of it!

I’m considering also making an @EOS44 edition of the Harbinger…

We’ll see!

4 Likes

You know, this just reminded me of the bearing I had blow out on me. I still have the inner race. Still trying to figure out how I blew out a yoyo bearing…but hey, now I don’t have to sacrifice a bearing for a small blank.

1 Like

That would be like a dream come true!

1 Like

Last trick from this throw sesh. Bunny kickflip!

8 Likes

Double kickflip.

Hard stuff to land.

6 Likes

I don’t deserve this.

8 Likes

How is it to play?

1 Like

So good! The only thing I’d change is for it to be a tad heavier. Perfect otherwise.

3 Likes