TFW you make 32 labor intensive strings that are total garbage

So, I’ve been experimenting with my dying process, and basically ruined 32 strings. They thickened up significantly, making an already thick string almost unplayable. And they became super bouncy.

I also messed up the ratio of dye to material, and they came out darker than I prefer. All in all, they are a completely different string and I am not pleased. But this is part of the scientific process, I suppose.

20190110_105746

6 Likes

Oh no!! That’s a lot of strings… At least it’s a one time mistake!

1 Like

I know! It is difficult to work a hot dye bath with small quantities of strings because the dyes have to be weighed out precisely in accordance with the weight of the material being dyed. otherwise, the color is liable to be too dark or too rich.

I just didn’t account for the material shrinking and thickening up in the hot bath. Oh well, this was my second attempt at dying.

The first time, I unwound an entire spool of nylon onto a swift, twisted it into a hank, and dyed the whole thing. After it dried, I Unwound the Hank and put it back on the Swift, and then rigged the empty spool to my drill to wind the nylon back onto the spool. and then just made my strings like normal. That process worked really well, and I didn’t have a problem with the nylon shrinking or being too stretchy.

With this batch, I just spun up the strings first, wound them up into little mini Hanks and dyed them all together. No bueno :-1:

I’m going to build myself a more sturdy Swift, and try that route again.

Another thing I have tried, is reaching out to the manufacturer of the brand of nylon that I use to petition them to produce fluorescent colored nylon. And you know what they said? They put me on a mailing list to let me know if they ever decide to do that in the future. Gee thanks

4 Likes

Well for what it’s worth I think the colors turned out great. I wonder if a little playtime would break them in and make them more playable?

3 Likes

I really like deeply saturated colors. Too bad they turned out unplayable.

1 Like

Yea, they settle down after about an hour or so. But they are nowhere near the same as my plain white ones. All in all, they are a completely different string and I think I’ll just keep them for my own personal play.

They are like, snaggy. Nobody likes a surprise bind.

2 Likes

Do they become usable if you pre-stretch them before putting them on a yoyo? I always do a little bit of pre-stretching before installing a new string.

1 Like

It helps a little bit

Use them as Christmas Tree decorations. That’s what I did with my unwanted orange polyester strings. :wink: :christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:

2 Likes

Salvageable for 4A?

I honestly don’t know. I’ve never tried 4a

How brave are you? :grimacing:

3 Likes