FINALLY! Florescent yellow nylon

I’ve been chasing this idea for a long time, and thanks to @codinghorror, it finally came to fruition!

Nylon is notoriously impossible to find in fluorescent colors, and the answer is dye baby!

I haven’t gotten the process down completely, but now that I’ve done my first run I will document the next one and share it here.

Man, this opens up a whole realm of color possibilities!

Ahhhhhhhh! I’m so stoked about this!IMG_20181210_092618_924

Oh, and FYI: this string looks really fuzzy because it was the roughest string of my first run. The rest of them don’t look fuzzy like this.

17 Likes

That is some amazing looking string. When i started to make string, i was thinking the same thing, you cant find bright colors. Looks like it turned out great. I cant wait to see how its done.

3 Likes

Wow, that turned out nicely!

3 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Aww yisssssss…!!! :+1:

3 Likes

Looks nice! Keep us posted on how well the color holds up after some play. I would think dyed string would fade after some time right?

2 Likes

Maybe, but the real question is whether or not the color would fade before the string just plain wore out. I mean, I know that nylon/poly blend lasts quite a bit longer than straight poly, but still, I wouldn’t expect a fabric dye to fade that quickly.

2 Likes

Zipline dyes a lot of their string, possibly all of it. They could offer better insight but I’ve never noticed any appreciable fading in a string’s lifespan.

3 Likes

They dye their nylon strings specifically because you can’t buy them in neon colors. There’s a lot more color availability for polyester.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is very permanent dye. I have to rinse out all the excess before they dry, so these are not going to fade anytime before the strings are worn out and useless.

5 Likes

#nofilter

These bad boys are V I S I B L E ! :radioactive::flying_saucer::green_heart:

radioactive

9 Likes

See now come on, you cannot tell me plain vanilla white is better than that :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It is when paired with certain yoyos. I like white string a lot, but this is cool too

4 Likes

Nice!

I’d also like to see what they would look like without the green threads. Just the neon yellow.

3 Likes

Well, the original picture up at the very top of this thread is pure fluorescent yellow.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, right! Duh.

I really like that pure flourescent yellow. What other flourescent colors are at your disposal? Any chance you can do neon orange?

2 Likes

In time, I plan on broadening my color selection. Fluorescent orange, green, bright teal, maybe even fluorescent hot pink. But for right now, I’m working with yellow and green.

4 Likes

Awesome. I love those colors!

1 Like

Look what I got in the mail today!

Compared with a kitty fat neon yellow at the bottom there.

6 Likes