Talent show...im in panic mode here...please help!!!!

So when’s the show?
You should post a vid after so we can see.

At the end of january but its at my school during the day so i dont know if i can video record it but if i can i will…or my technology teacher might put it up on my schools website so ill post the link.

Okay. Here you go:

Do tricks you know

Don’t worry about messing up. If you get a knot or something then switch yo-yos.

Have some backup yo-yos on you.

Do what you know you can pull off.

Learn some more tricks and know your song well. It’s embarassing to lose your place.

Pratice crowds by yo-yoing in public.

Most important: Have Fun! Just imagine yourself doing what you usually do if that song is on. You’d be surprised. Don’t worry, most people get worried about there first show. It eventually gets better over time.

How bout’ you lose the skrillex and go for something real.
Just wear your most comfortable, dark colored clothes and choose green string
Always works

first of all i like skrillex but if u suggest another song then comment it.

Uh oh. Now you’re in trouble…

No, seriously. Good. Congratulations. I find auditions nerve wracking.

Then again, I come from a period where part of the audition, as one RUNNING the audition, if we don’t get the person auditioning into a fetal position and crying, then we’ve failed, and that’s if if LIKE them. You know that crap they show in American Idle? Sorry, I get x-rated on them and let people know exactly how I feel. Making cast members know who the boss is and that they are ALL expendable helps keep them in line.

As someone else said, have extra yoyos around. At competitions, the odds are that they are using the same model yoyo, perhaps in different colors. It doesn’t matter, you don’t need to spend money if you don’t want to, can’t or don’t feel the need to. Just have some spares so in case you get a knot or something, you can swap out and keep going.

Now, the fun part. Are you on winter break? Practice A TON. Every chjance you get. Record yourself, criticize yourself, find flaws and find out to fix them. Use your music playing out loud so you can catch it with your camera. You won’t be using wireless IEM’s on your performance and you might not get foldbacks/wedges/floor monitors, so get used to not being in an ideal listening position. Don’t practice with ear-buds, they can get caught on the string. Practice wearing similar type stuff to what you’ll be performing in. T-shirts keep arms clear of extra cloth, making one less thing for a yoyo to rub against. Also, not that this makes any difference, but DO wear shoes. I noticed some performers at Words were in socks(which I prefer), a few were barefoot, but more wore shoes. Why? Stages are dirty and could have bits of metal and wood slivers all over the place. Most schools don’t actively sweep and clean the stages, they tend to just be a utility area. When I throw at home, I’m wearing socks on my feet most of the time. I don’t like wearing shoes unless I absolutely have to.

Something electric sounding, “Let Me Think About it” by Ida Corr.
Something “random” style, “Comfort Eagle” by CAKE
I find those songs easy to yoyo to

Thanks helped a lot also my grandma just got me an 888x for Christmas

i doubt it matters if you wear shoes or only socks and stuff just sayin…

Try something slower cus most skrillex tempos are fast and you wanna be able to get your think on whilst on stage. try bassnectar funtcase or datsik =) and most of all have fun!

Imagine everyone in the audience is wearing there underpants.

On a more serious note, you have to remember that your performing in front of an audience, and you can’t be doing complicated combos without looking up. You have to move around and get the audience involved, make the feel like they are part of it. Search for John Higby on YouTube, that’s the stuff I’m talking about.

If you are feeling nervous tell think, can any one in the audience do what I’m doing even half as well as I can. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you mess up find a way to make a smooth recovery do that it looks like it was a part of the trick. You should especially focus this on more difficult tricks. And remember; practice. practice, practice.

The biggest thing that can motivate you is audience reaction. If you find yourself losing your sense of rhythm, forgetting your tricks, or screwing up, then try to get some applause from your fellow peers in the audience.

Make everything look smooth and easy, don’t look like you’ve just started this only a few weeks ago. Make up some really funny tricks that can work with people. For example, I made something up that made it look like I was using the yo-yo as a microphone. I also have a trick for guitar solos. Get creative, don’t limit yourself to looking professional, be funny or goofy once in a while.

Final note: Screaming Girls in the crowd always motivate. Just sayin’

calm down do ur thing yoyo or wat ever you are doing

i got 4th place out of 10 honorable mention!!!

Cool do you have a vid of your performance?

yes but it is on my mamaws camera so it will hopefully be up in the next 2-3 weeks

Building on this use a black light and a white yoyo and white string for some really cool looks.