Talent show...im in panic mode here...please help!!!!

Ok so im auditioning for my school talent show and im gonna yoyo to scary monsters and nice sprites by skrillex but what should i wear…what color string…im freaking outany advice would.

First calm down. Second just where what you usually wear and use a string that contrasts well with your shirt and background. Also relax and have fun while you’re performing and good luck. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ill do that thanks

No, go back to freaking out.

You gotta do your lighting design and your set… I mean, let’s not just go diving into this. Will the sound company provide fold-backs or monitors of some sort?

Sorry. Scared yet? Don’t be. I’m just screwing with you. I’m a sound engineer, it’s the only joy I get in my job. Just kidding. I enjoy mixing the show.

First, I recommend this to just about everyone: BE COMFORTABLE. You perform better when you’re comfortable, regardless of what it is you choose to wear. You might want to be a little bit familiar with the stage, mainly for the backdrop, if there is one. You will most likely want to wear a black or dark colored shirt. I find white string works good in a live situation(the eye works better than a camera), but you might want to use a colored string. I like neon green, but neon yellow, neon pink and neon orange can work good as well too. The green and yellow will work best. Whatever you choose, make it stand out. But if pressed, don’t sweat it. Also, your yoyo should also stand out, but don’t go spending on a new yoyo unless you were planning it anyways. Anything that catches a lot of light is good. For example, my Relic Code 1 and Matterhorn Avalanche are poor choices as they are dark and don’t really reflect like. My nickel Phenom would be a good choice, as would be my Dark Magic II or my Speeder 2 due to the caps and rims. But, even a Protostar or Northstar works fine. The yoyo is easy.

But for auditions don’t sweat much. Use your favorite yoyo and any string and be comfortable. Do what you know. Well, maybe you sweat more, wear extra deodorant that day. It’s a bit more nerve wracking playing to a small crowd over a larger crowd. Relax, have fun, pretend you’re practicing in front of a mirror. If you’re having fun, they’ll pick up on that. Sometimes the FUN performance gets the nod over a cold performance.

1 Like

Thanks and im a sound manager for my schools drama school so its close to a sound enginneer

http://www.studio42.com/images/adshot/ad1-mod2.jpg

Wanna get your hands on that? That’s my toy! 76 inputs, 8 stereo channels with dual-channel inputs(2 sets of stereo per channel), 44 mono channels, 8 matrix inputs, 27 output busses including the 8 matrix sends, 16 aux sends, 8 subgroups, 128 mute scenes, 8 VCA’s and 8 mute groups. Sub groups 1-8 can be quickly reconfigured as monitor aux sends.

Pure phat analog goodness!

2 Likes

Yes i would the one we have is half that size…if we had that then out school would have the best sound equipment in the county:)

I always just practice at home. Also precticing for your friends will make you less nervous. I have yoyoed in 8 talent shows or more right now and got a proffesional photographer took video and pictures for two different front page newspaper stories. I was very nervous but after you perform a few times you will get comfortable.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice guys really helps alot:)

If its sorta dark, glow in the dark string is super visible, even if its barely dark.

Come up with a plan on how to switch yoyos if you get a knot. Also as long as you don’t make your mistakes obvious by making a face then no one will know you messed up.

Well i only have 2:32 to do everything its gonna be hard

You have to get used to yoyoing in front of a crowd as well. It just takes experience on that part so if your nervous then it is part of the game but it gets easier, yoyo for your friends, family, random crowds outside some stores and such.

Do what you know and do it well…and remember the easy stuff done well is better than doing the fancy stuff and really messing it up…and above all, have a great time doing it.

Thanks…the biggest crownd i have yoyoed for is my science class at the ned of the day because my friend asked me to and i got an applause but that was only like 25-30 people the talent show is 600-700 people.

UV light for sure(blacklight)

I bought 2 Duncan Pulse yoyos, a FHZ Pulse and a YYF glow DieNasty for dark performances. White string will look great under blacklight. I think Kitty String sells small packs of glow string. Glow string will look better. Get some small blacklights to “charge” your glowing rig.

1 Like

Get the crowd excited by makeing arm gestures or something in between tricks that symbolize “you can clap now…” and Have fun. Example of my last performance, I’m doing offstring and I’m doing well so I’m going to try throwing it really high and catching it under my leg. I get the yoyo on the string and with my freehand I do the sign of the cross and when i catch it people went crazy. Build up to your flashy but easy tricks ;D

Also take a look at this
http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,6854.15.html

That helped alot

Auditions were today they said ill know wednsay so ill post if i get in

I got in